Thai insurance regulator urged to rescind order forbidding cancellation of COVID insurance policies

snoop1130

1 hour ago, RubbaJohnny said:

That is why re=insurance giants like Munch Re exist, I have worked with them.

How very Thai poor risk management and now trying to wriggle out of contracts like Hopewell all over again and the failed airline, I guess they know the rest of the honest world says "don't Thai" me so their reputation is already poor but foreigners compelled to buy worthless policies seems like a dream come true.

What they may not realize the new 3 million here for OA and even $ 50k are all deterrents and when people fin that other equally attractive places don't cheat they may never return .Sometimes it not only the trivial sums it's the sheer timewasting inconvenience like 90 day report their TM 30 the renewal for me 156 pages to sign of the same stuff every single year. It is what it is take it or leave and I think fewer and fewer will find Thailand attractive for retirement.

How are the 3 million and 50k deterrents ? 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai General Insurance Association is urging the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) to rescind its order forbidding insurance companies from cancelling the so-called “Found, Paid, Done” policies covering COVID-19 infection, claiming that it may force insurance companies in Thailand into bankruptcy.

LOL

Assessing risk is a personality trait often found wanting in the land of smiles. 

I also wonder about the sanity of anybody who purchases an insurance policy of any kind in a developing country and expects the contract laws of that country to protect them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kotsak said:

Keep getting while the getting is good.. Bloody blood suckers...

Traditionally you'll employ underwriters who assess risk and limit it to potential payout requirements. here Underwriting is an under the table envelope endeavor

• Like 1

This is disgusting. Nobody asked them to create or sell these products. It was of their own doing, making and greed.

It should equally serve as a warning to anyone thinking of coming to Thailand under the false notion that insurance here covers you for what you think.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No way the OIC can allow this.

As for the companies, they either made errors in their initial assumptions, were not quick enough to stop issuing new  policies as the rate of COVID infection went up,  or have failed to weed out false claims. Or all of these things. 

I have a contact in the industry. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I was informed some policies were being sold at 500-1000 with 100k-200k coverage just for getting COVID. Not health costs - just being able to present a positive test.

It was absolute insanity and greed to have been issuing these policies. I understand some companies continued to issue until as late as June this year. Stupidity, if not negligence. 

Be careful what you wish for when you request the OIC/government take a hardline stance on this matter. As usual, only the big boys will survive and available choice in the market will reduce. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

I have a contact in the industry. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I was informed some policies were being sold at 500-1000 with 100k-200k coverage just for getting COVID. Not health costs - just being able to present a positive test.

It was absolute insanity and greed to have been issuing these policies. I understand some companies continued to issue until as late as June this year. Stupidity, if not negligence. 

Be careful what you wish for when you request the OIC/government take a hardline stance on this matter. As usual, only the big boys will survive and available choice in the market will reduce. 

Yes  it well may. BUT  the reduction will be insurers who do not know what they are doing/do not use good professional judgement and standards, and issue policies they are not able to cover..

What benefit is there to anyone in having them part of the pool of choices? If anything just increases the odds that people will end up having claims issues with their insurer.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see if I can renew the COVID-19 insurance from Roojai which I and a lot of other people on here bought at 800 Baht, one for me, one for the mrs, that was I believe either late last year or very early this year, I may have answered my own question ????

Many of these policies were sold through banks. The commission the banks make on these poicies is obscene; insurers often only get a small percentage of the overall premium, the rest going not only to the banks but also to other intermediaries.

The companies have made a bad underwriting misjudgement here and if they've not taken out adequate reinsurance then they alone are to blame, though in all honesty I don't think any professional international  company would have underwritten this.

The OIC must stick to their guns here.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I have one of these policies in my storage unit in Bangkok, where I will be in 3 weeks. It's a second year renewal. The first year I bought in my bank around March 2020. The second year was promoted by email and snail mailed to me this year. 

A point I have not seen made is that the insurance companies made exactly the same mistake as Anutin and his gang regarding vaccine procurement: they assumed that the low case numbers throughout 2020 would continue into 2021, even for the duration of the pandemic. The elite here operate as a unit so it suggests that the two parties are in some way the same people. And none of them paid attention to the trajectory of the virus in other countries, which is incredible; I did read of one doctor who tried to tell them in 2020 and said no one would listen to him. And if there were underlings who thought about it, they would know to keep their mouths shut. 

LOS needs a major house cleaning.

• Like 1