Thailand will have 90 million vaccine doses next year: Anutin

webfact

LQNXXQGNHZMLFJTQFG3TNAQSJ4.jpg

File photo: REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

Thailand will have at least 90 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines next year, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Friday.

Mr Anutin, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking at a meeting about Thailand’s plan in the event of further outbreaks of the virus in 2022.

He said that next year, Thailand will have at least 90 million vaccine doses, consisting of 60 million from AstraZeneca and 30 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Thailand will also have doses of the Novavax vaccine and other locally produced vaccines from Chulalongkorn University, Baiya Phytopharm Company and the Government Pharmaceutical Organization, which will be used for booster jabs, Mr Anutin explained.

Despite its slow start, Thailand’s vaccination rollout has gathered significant pace in recent months. 

On Friday, Mr Anutin revealed that 86 million vaccine doses have now been administered in Thailand and that the government is aiming to have administered 100 million vaccine doses by the end of the month.

Earlier this week it was also announced that France has donated 400,000 Pfzierzier vaccines but it is not yet known when they will arrive in Thailand. 

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-20

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said that next year, Thailand will have at least 90 million vaccine doses, consisting of 60 million from AstraZeneca and 30 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Thailand will also have doses of the Novavax vaccine and other locally produced vaccines from Chulalongkorn University, Baiya Phytopharm Company and the Government Pharmaceutical Organization, which will be used for booster jabs, Mr Anutin explained.

In no way is this comforting

This homemade Thai vaccine will make Sinovac look good

Luckily i will be able to get my booster in UK

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

What has happened to Moderna?  No mention of it.  Many have pre-paid.  In my case my cardiologist at a private hospital and because of existing conditions has recommended I wait for Moderna.  Supposedly I am on a priority waiting list.  No shots to date.

Edited by dlclark97
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, poohy said:

In no way is this comforting

This homemade Thai vaccine will make Sinovac look good

Luckily i will be able to get my booster in UK

How can you say that about something that hasn't even been fully tested yet?

Anutin's 60 million AZ doses supply for Thailand next year would appear to assume 5 milliion doses per month from their local AZ production operation, which was originally supposed to provide 10 million doses per month for Thailand.

But at any rate, is it just me, or has the current government seem to have gone pretty quiet on the details and quantity arrivals of their local AZ doses making it into the local vaccine supply chain?

Every time they buy or get Sinovac doses donated from China, the government always pushes that out as a big local news item.  But when it comes to locally produced AZ arrivals, it seems more like crickets.  Is it possible there's something they're not especially keen to advertise?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Is he saying in the OP article that future booster shots in Thailand are primarily going to come from vaccine sources such as Novovax, Baiya and Chula that haven't actually been approved even for emergency use as yet by any of the major regulators?

Screenshot_2.jpg.46d5d14fcb97d6407b7f0ea235711f04.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_vaccination_in_Thailand#Vaccines_in_trial_stage

And Novavax:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novavax#COVID-19_vaccine_candidate

https://theconversation.com/novavax-covid-vaccine-is-nearing-approval-but-what-impact-will-it-have-171647

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is he saying in the OP article that future booster shots in Thailand are primarily going to come from vaccine sources such as Novovax, Baiya and Chula that haven't actually been approved even for emergency use as yet by any of the major regulators?

Screenshot_2.jpg.46d5d14fcb97d6407b7f0ea235711f04.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_vaccination_in_Thailand#Vaccines_in_trial_stage

And Novavax:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novavax#COVID-19_vaccine_candidate

Not only that, where will they find the 30,000 unvaccinated and previously uninfected volunteers from for the phase 3 study? Thats presuming phase 2 results are actually ever published first!

Thai mRNA Vaccine to Enter Phase 3 Trials in ’22 . Researchers said challenge will be to find enough unvaccinated subjects

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/thai-mrna-vaccine-to-enter-phase-3-trials-in-22/

The tracker to see when they actually get round to publishing any data is here:

https://covid19.trackvaccines.org/vaccines/65/

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04566276

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Anutin's 60 million AZ doses supply for Thailand next year would appear to assume 5 milliion doses per month from their local AZ production operation, which was originally supposed to provide 10 million doses per month for Thailand.

But at any rate, is it just me, or has the current government seem to have gone pretty quiet on the details and quantity arrivals of their local AZ doses making it into the local vaccine supply chain?

Every time they buy or get Sinovac doses donated from China, the government always pushes that out as a big local news item.  But when it comes to locally produced AZ arrivals, it seems more like crickets.  Is it possible there's something they're not especially keen to advertise?

I did ask about that somewhere on here the other day, I didn't get any responses either ????

Found it: 

Anutin: Pfizer Won't Give Paxlovid Formula to Thailand.

Pfizer saw what a mess the Thais made with AZ, even built a special facility just outside Bangkok, does anyone know how much has come out of it to date ? I can't find any figures.

Edited by Golden Triangle
Extra info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

So what i will say they are going to boost with something that may or may not work and is not even dreamt up yet (is that better) instead of tried and tested vaccines

Lastly are you brave enough to volunteer To test  the new fangled somtan flavoued thai stuff  then.....

I thought not

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not only that, where will they find the 30,000 unvaccinated and previously uninfected volunteers from for the phase 3 study? Thats presuming phase 2 results are actually ever published first!

So I guess the answer, for now, to the question I posed above is YES!

As usual, they're trying to rely on start-up / not widely approved locally produced vaccines instead of established ones with substantial track records that they'd have to import from abroad and pay for.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So I guess the answer, for now, to the question I posed above is YES!

As usual, they're trying to rely on start-up / not widely approved locally produced vaccines instead of established ones with substantial track records that they'd have to import from abroad and pay for.

Agree entirely, the other issue of course is how can they test a vaccine, even if they found all these unvaccinated volunteers if the actually virus is not prevalent enough anymore in Thailand next year.

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

What has happened to Moderna?  No mention of it.  Many have pre-paid.  In my case my cardiologist at a private hospital and because of existing conditions has recommended I wait for Moderna.  Supposedly I am on a priority waiting list.  No shots to date.

I don't know about elsewhere, but I can personally vouch for the fact that Samitivej Hospital in BKK during the past week has begun dispensing Moderna doses to those who registered and prepaid with them previously.

My wife got her first shot there yesterday. And the hospital has indicated their first priority for the Moderna doses they have are those among the prepayers who haven't received ANY vaccine previously.  Third shot booster shot hopefuls such as myself are going to have to wait...

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree entirely, the other issue of course is how can they test a vaccine, even if they found all these unvaccinated volunteers if the actually virus is not prevalent enough anymore in Thailand next year.

After reading the AA forum the past few days, my impression is the Chula vaccine researchers probably could find more than enough anti-vax / no doses previously received candidates right here!  ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poohy said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

1 hour ago, poohy said:

So what i will say they are going to boost with something that may or may not work and is not even dreamt up yet (is that better) instead of tried and tested vaccines

Lastly are you brave enough to volunteer To test  the new fangled somtan flavoued thai stuff  then.....

I thought not

What a load of sanctimonious clap trap. Let's call a spade a spade shall we.

Your comment was just another version Thai bashing.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

What a load of sanctimonious clap trap. Let's call a spade a spade shall we.

Your comment was just another version Thai bashing.

Oi!

When i comes to vaccines and this mob i am more than happy to bash

Edited by poohy

12 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

Right. Pre-paid for wife. Still waiting. Was promised in October.