Padded bill !

stubuzz

I went for a PCR test as I am travelling tomorrow. The website advertises it at 3000bt.

http://www.kasemrad.co.th/Chachoengsao/th/site/packages_and_promotions/detail/1232

I was charged 3500bt because I was a foreigner. They added an extra 500bt for a check up with a doctor I did not see. I made a lot of noise and was sent to many departments who refused to remove the 500bt doctor's fee or give me the check up I paid for.

They offered to refund the whole price of the test, but as I need the results it was not an option. I was also told the results would be ready at 9pm, but I could not have then until 8 am the following day!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, stubuzz said:

No. PCR test only.

So you made a fuss over 500 baht but still ended up paying it and coincidentally maybe, ended up getting your test results delayed in the process. Nobody likes being charged more because you're a foreigner but sometimes you need to pick your battles. I'm sure you were given a receipt for the full amount so it's not like anyone was personally pocketing the money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

So you made a fuss over 500 baht but still ended up paying it and coincidentally maybe, ended up getting your test results delayed in the process. Nobody likes being charged more because you're a foreigner but sometimes you need to pick your battles. I'm sure you were given a receipt for the full amount so it's not like anyone was personally pocketing the money.

how do YOU know no one was pocketing the money???

Thailand IS ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!!!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The go-to place for PCR test in Bangkok is Medconsult asia. 2,000 baht . Same day result if test done before 10 AM otherwise  next day.

They are very experienced with this and know exactly what sort of result report is needed.

https://www.medconsultasia.com/

Thanks for the Info. Is there a Pattaya equivalent?

49 minutes ago, stubuzz said:
50 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Did a nurse check your blood pressure, temperature, etc.?

No. PCR test only.

Typically private hospitals tack on that 300-500 baht 'doctors consultation' fee when they simply take your 'vital signs' check of temp, BP, etc.. Doesn't need to be a doctor that administers these checks and it's usually done by a nurse.

It looks like the accounting department at the hospital you attended simply tacked on a 'standard' doctors consultation service charge but didn't do them. I would complain about it too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Typically private hospitals tack on that 300-500 baht 'doctors consultation' fee when they simply take your 'vital signs' check of temp, BP, etc.. Doesn't need to be a doctor that administers these checks and it's usually done by a nurse.

It looks like the accounting department at the hospital you attended simply tacked on a 'standard' doctors consultation service charge but didn't do them. I would complain about it too.

OP what exactly does the bill state for this extra 500 baht? I think something lost in translation on that...

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Sorry to jump onto the thread but i fly to UK in Jan and the closest proper town to where i live is Chumpare anybody know the closest place (and any details please) i could get a PCR test fit for flying from ? TIA

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

In a country like Thailand one should make it a habit to confirm the specifics of the service provided AND the charged for it.. learned the hard way...

You mean in person as well? Because it does say 3000 in huge numbers advertised on their website http://www.kasemrad.co.th/Chachoengsao/th/site/packages_and_promotions/detail/1232 and I don't see anything that says an extra 500 baht doctor fee will be charged on top of that. Even if one member of staff did verbally confirm it's 3000 before he took the test, I don't see it stopping the cashier from adding the extra 500 anyway.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sadly they don't miss an opportunity for bill padding, the nurse blood pressure one is the classic and annoying when you don't need it

I agree. You can't even get a prescription refilled without doing the stupid blood pressure thing and talking to a doctor for one minute for 1000 baht at the private hospital I go to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

OP what exactly does the bill state for this extra 500 baht? I think something lost in translation on that...

The itemized bill is in Thai, which i read. 

It says ตรวจสุขภาพ (check health) and the doctor's name. Quantity 1 Cost 500bt

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What province is that? Do you mean Chum Phae in Khon Kaen?

In any event surely you are flying out of Bangkok?mYou can get the test in Bangkok in as little as 5 hours (costs more though) or next day. L:ink given in prior post

Yes sorry should have been more specific Chum Phae in Khon Kaen province i just clicked on the medconsult link (thanks) I will probably have to go to Bangkok a day or two early for test dependent on how the UK rules pan out

15 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

I agree. You can't even get a prescription refilled without doing the stupid blood pressure thing and talking to a doctor for one minute for 1000 baht at the private hospital I go to.

It's just good medical practice both testing temperature and BP. Presumably if it were free you wouldn't object

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's why i go to the labs when possible, no bill padding. Recently  a hospital wanted 1500 baht for a test unnecessary nurse and Dr padding, went to a lab instead 200 baht

Yes but you did the work! You used your time..and paid for transport. Of course service providers charge for their services!

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's just good medical practice both testing temperature and BP. Presumably if it were free you wouldn't object

I would object. My temperature gets tested on entry to the hospital and I can pay a few baht and test my blood pressure at one of those machines in the malls if I really wanted to know rather than waste time sitting there hearing the nurses gossip about mundane <deleted>.

9 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Yes sorry should have been more specific Chum Phae in Khon Kaen province i just clicked on the medconsult link (thanks) I will probably have to go to Bangkok a day or two early for test dependent on how the UK rules pan out

Alternatively you could get it done at Khon Kaen Ram Hospital Costs more than Meedconsult - 3,500 baht - but if it saves you a night in a Bangkok hotel may be worth it   http://www.khonkaenram.com/th/services/packages-and-programs/covid-19

looks like same day results but best call to confirm and leave some leeway in case takes longer than promised

• Thanks 1