Pet parenting on the rise

webfact

There is cruelty of almost all animals here, however, Thais with mostly small dogs spend an enormous amount of money on them.

Weekly grooming, foods, clothing, even freakin' dog nappies!

One of our family members have a dog/cat motel in BKK and Korat...Thb 500+/night...and always full.....vet service is very expensive.....

• Like 2

Just now, Asquith Production said:

I have 4 dogs 3 being rescues. Vet service is very cheap compared to western countries. 

I did not use the services back home, but cheap is not what I found here, unless I used an older more basic clinic, rather than the glitzy modern ones. I also felt it was about making as much money out of me as possible...... much like my visits to a hospital. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I have 4 dogs 3 being rescues. Vet service is very cheap compared to western countries. 

That depends. Have a look at Thonglor pet hospital. It sees for some owners it's some kind of a status symbol to go there with their pets.

2584135_700.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I did not use the services back home, but cheap is not what I found here, unless I used an older more basic clinic, rather than the glitzy modern ones. I also felt it was about making as much money out of me as possible...... much like my visits to a hospital. 

Chula small animal hospital, in the middle of Bangkok, has reasonable prices.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I have owned many dogs in the UK and I can tell you the expense for vet services is astronomical compared to here. I use the vet services attached to the University

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That depends. Have a look at Thonglor pet hospital. It sees for some owners it's some kind of a status symbol to go there with their pets.

2584135_700.jpg

If they want to spend more money just for status then let it be. I use a veterinary hospital attached to the University where I live.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Chula small animal hospital, in the middle of Bangkok, has reasonable prices.

Well I live in Pattaya, but thanks.

How have you found the services in general?.... Too many times I felt I had wasted money with what was either a non diagnosis, or one that seemed unlikely. They also shied away from telling me in an instance it was a terminal situation....

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well I live in Pattaya, but thanks.

How have you found the services in general?.... Too many times I felt I had wasted money with what was either a non diagnosis, or one that seemed unlikely. They also shied away from telling me in an instance it was a terminal situation....

I am not really in a position to comment on that. I was there only a few times mostly for check-ups. The service seems to depend a lot on the individual doctors and on the problem. Some problems are a lot easier to diagnose than others.

• Like 1

I thought taking care of your animals well meant walking them, playing with them, feeding them, keeping them in your yard and generally being nice to them, to be honest I have rarely seen it in Thailand, most people just let their animals live on the streets and mooch food from others, beat the hell out of them, never walk or play with them and of course never pick up all the poo they do over the streets or rubbish they rip into. Good animal care is something sorely missing in Thailand, 2 of our dogs were dumped, one was only a new born, responsibily/acting humane just doesnt exist with many

DSCF0915.JPG

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“Yes, I do work hard for my cats and dog. I have four cats and one dog and they stay with my mom upcountry. I work and send money to mom to care for them. The pet food alone costs a lot because they are fussy eaters and then there are medications and all that. Grooming is expensive too,” says Pat, a 30-something freelancer in Bangkok.

This person like many Thais have no idea about taking care of pets, especially dogs. the pets do not know where the money comes from to buy them food. they need love, caring and to be part of a pack. This above just shows the mentality. Does this person think that when she goes home the dog thinks hey, here is the person who works hard for me. Mentally inefficient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not really in a position to comment on that. I was there only a few times mostly for check-ups. The service seems to depend a lot on the individual doctors and on the problem. Some problems are a lot easier to diagnose than others.

One of my rabbits died unexpectedly in the night, only 7 months old and healthy the day before.

In a blind panic I took one of the others to the vet for a check-up, thinking disease killing all.

Vet had a look at everything, checked poop, temp, eyes, ears, fur ...... said everything was fine.

15-20 minutes, cost 50bht.

• Like 1