Buying and upgrading a Honda CB500x

Hi bikers,
I'm planing to buy a Honda CB500x and to upgrade it for touring.
Does anyone know a competent Honda dealer in or near Pattaya?

Are there shops offering Garmin Zumo GPS including installation? And SW-Motec parts such as alu sidebags, tank rings etc?
Thank you for your advice.

Hi seedy,

I use the Zumo on my bikes in Europe and am quite happy with them (590LE and XT). Planing the trips in Basecamp is better than any mobilephone solution and guarantees you'll drive exactly your planed route.

With the hard bags you might be right, but a top case is a nogo for me.

Could you rpovide alink to DBS please?

40 minutes ago, seedy said:

I bought a dedicated fone for my bike - Oukitel WP6 - thing is a tank.

Doesn't look as if it will fit any mounts? Well OK maybe not mine.????

Edited by VocalNeal

I'll visit Big Wing Pattaya today. Hope I won't have to wait as long for the bike as I usually have to for their cars.

There's even a Touratech Shop in Thailand not far from Savarnabhumi Airport. Anyone went there before? Crazy, I have to start here from zero. No riding gear, no helmet, no nothing. Feel like a virgin ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

As I feared, Big Wing Pattaya does not have the new model in stock. If I order there I can get it end of January (as they tell).

I'll try the shops in Rayong or BKK next. After the decision is made I hate to wait ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun

You might want to consider a second hand model. Many to choose from.

Most will have the accessories you want already - luggage, engine guards, etc.

The biggest drawback to me is the change to a 19" front wheel.

While a larger tire is good for a pure dirt bike, the 500X is suitable only for gravel or dirt roads in the dry season.

Nothing too gnarly.

I put 17's on my CRF from new - never missed the larger front wheel, and don't do anything too technical.

For cruising there are a LOT of different 17" tires made - even some 50/50 ones.

Edited by seedy

13 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

This Quad Lock thing looks exactly like the SPconnect I bought for my Z900 because there was no place for a Garmin. They even provide the same phone covers.

https://sp-connect.com/collections/motorbike

Very close. I also was given by a poster here - for free - the anti vibe mount which attaches to any of the Quad mounts. Keeps the shaking down when on dirt and gravel roads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New cars come with red plates. Same with motorbikes, I guess.

Now I heared somewhere, you're not allowed to drive outside your province on red plates.

Can that be true? When I bought my last car, I was up-country many times and was stopped at a couple of police checkpoints. Never had a problem because of the red plate.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

Never seen a red plate on a bike for the last 18 years

In a car, fill in the logbook - in pencil - until your white plates are ready.

PS - last new vehicle I bought I put my foot down, told them I would not wait 2 months for the plates and blue book.

Had them after 5 working days

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I saw one today, so it seems it's the same as with a new car.

In some regions you can get a red plate on a new bike, but in Bangkok and Chonburi there's no plate until you get the white one.  You just need to carry your documents  (sales receipt, insurance) until you get your plate and tax sticker.

Some dealers have an 'express service' to get a plate quicker.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

In some regions you can get a red plate on a new bike, but in Bangkok and Chonburi there's no plate until you get the white one.  You just need to carry your documents  (sales receipt, insurance) until you get your plate and tax sticker.

Same in Sukhothai but you still get CTPL and can get the voluntary insurance if not offered. 

• Like 1

Strange, I had a new bike with a red plate here in Pattaya and one of my biker buddies also rides a red plated bike??

17 hours ago, Kinnock said:

On 12/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, seedy said:

I use the Quad Lock. Have it on all my bikes

3M sticky mount on fone back

http://www.pandarider.com/panda/product_Quadlock.html

I also use Quadlock...   but with a ‘Quadlock phone case’ and the vibration dampener thingy... 

Does the job very nicely and there is ‘very little’ scaffolding (such as with the RAM mounts) when not using the mount. 

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, JENK said:

Hello everyone.

I found a website Quad Lock Case For selling QUAD LOCK ready to ship in Thailand, I ordered from this website, fast delivery.

They ship from HongKong, you may get stung for tax. 

It's better to order from Lazada, or if in Bangkok visit Panda Rider who also stock them. 

• Like 1