What do you think is a fair beer price in a bar?

FruitPudding

In your opinion, what beer price is fair in a bar or pub here?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Where the chefs use oyster sauce and so on.

Eh, ? You never experienced food full of sugar, oyster sauce, sweet and sour chilli sauce and so on on quite a few restaurants around in the country. Popular tourist traps as in More rural villages . 

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Where the chefs use oyster sauce and so on.

Eh, ? You never experienced food full of sugar, oyster sauce, sweet and sour chilli sauce and so on on quite a few restaurants around in the country. Popular tourist traps as in More rural villages . 

On 12/12/2021 at 3:21 PM, anchadian said:

The price I would pay is not included in the list but I'll give your a clue, it would be under THB50.

Thank you and this is would be the same in Cambodia where a small beer, draught or canned, usually costs 50 US cents, around 16 baht in a local bar! 

The OP mentions Isaan (where I used to live) being less expensive. A large Leo or Chang in the ex-pat bar was 90 baht but in a nearby village, a Thai family restaurant charged just 55 baht for a large Chang! 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

7 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you and this is would be the same in Cambodia where a small beer, draught or canned, usually costs 50 US cents, around 16 baht in a local bar! 

The OP mentions Isaan (where I used to live) being less expensive. A large Leo or Chang in the ex-pat bar was 90 baht but in a nearby village, a Thai family restaurant charged just 55 baht for a large Chang! 

Yes Cambodia is great for drinks, beer 50c, cocktails $1.

The hotel I always used in Siem Reap served beer by the pool 24/7 at 50c/glass.

P_20190116_120704.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Preferred answer not included in poll. For me 65 Baht is fair in a Bar Beer or a bit more, but not 80.

It used to be 45 Baht during happy hour.

I am willing to pay significantly more if the setting is worth it (a draft on the terrace of the Oriental just near the Chao Phraya used to be 120 (or even 180 THB). Never mind then.

• Like 1

I few years ago I was charged Baht 299 for a Guinness in Suk. soi 11. 

The price made the taste so bad, that I hurried up Suk., and got another for Baht 199... ????

On 12/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

In street bar with no air con you pay less than a Go Go bar surrounded by beautiful naked girls. There is no 'fair' price because the price is not determined by the drink only but numerous other variables. Only broke backpackers, poverty stricken Saddlers and cheap Charlie's think about 'fair' prices for non essentials...

Care to tell us where this mythical bar is with 'beautiful naked girls'. 

Definitely not in Bangkok.  Unless you have very low standards.

23 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Care to tell us where this mythical bar is with 'beautiful naked girls'. 

Definitely not in Bangkok.  Unless you have very low standards.

I was referring to Go Go bars on Soi 15 WS before the lockdown in Pattaya.  Girls all FFF. Nothing mythical.  I was there last week in different places as the GGs are closed in one of many G clubs now reopend or newly opened. Im certainly  not going to risk their reputation and license on a public forum. Ask your mongering friends here and they will tell you.

Edited by The Hammer2021

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

So good you said it twice.

????

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's interesting to see people calling the more sensible (and frugal ????) folk names.

I didn't get to retire at age 45 by wasting my money.

Not having the unneeded big house in the nicest neighborhoods, or the new flash car, and simply being practical and still quite comfy, allowed for 20 yr early retirement for me also.   Priorities.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, natway09 said:

Obviously many skinflints on here.

Having owned a great bar for 20 years in Bangkok  I can tell you many of you obviously have no idea how to do maths, run a bar or any business.

Rent, electricity (airconed of course, key money, brown envelope, salaries, water, lady drink payouts, end of year bonuses, 

Govt licences,( you need 4 plus a sign licence,  true wi fi & true visions (3 times what you pay in apartment) public music tax (both Thai &  farang,) consumables, rubbish removal,  staff amenities, insurances, giveaways, R&M, replacements, advertising,  7% tax, & general tax.

And I still have not purchased any stock yet, nor mentioned capital cost or refit

You want a 45 Bht beer, go buy from 7/11 & sit on their step,,,,or in a grotto, after midnight or 4pm , tough

I think you get my point, if want service, a clean establishment, good live sport & events with someone to sit on your lap

in a place where you feel safe & not hassled, that is the price.

Most people never had their own business. They have no clue about all the hidden costs and stuff. They only think im paying too much. You summed it up quite nicely and at least some people understand it. But the cheap charliers never will.

You have to understand those are people who have only ever earned wages. So they see price of beer in supermarket then see your price and start to moan. No idea what you have to pay. No idea that you still need to pay rent in low season so you also have to take into account those bad times. Like covid for instance, you need to build up reserves and so on.

Its just hard conversing with people who have never operated a business of any kind. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, natway09 said:

Obviously many skinflints on here.

Having owned a great bar for 20 years in Bangkok  I can tell you many of you obviously have no idea how to do maths, run a bar or any business.

Rent, electricity (airconed of course, key money, brown envelope, salaries, water, lady drink payouts, end of year bonuses, 

Govt licences,( you need 4 plus a sign licence,  true wi fi & true visions (3 times what you pay in apartment) public music tax (both Thai &  farang,) consumables, rubbish removal,  staff amenities, insurances, giveaways, R&M, replacements, advertising,  7% tax, & general tax.

And I still have not purchased any stock yet, nor mentioned capital cost or refit

You want a 45 Bht beer, go buy from 7/11 & sit on their step,,,,or in a grotto, after midnight or 4pm , tough

I think you get my point, if want service, a clean establishment, good live sport & events with someone to sit on your lap

in a place where you feel safe & not hassled, that is the price.

you make a very valid point.

For the venue you describe (of which there is several near my house) the beers are Bt.65.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

you make a very valid point.

For the venue you describe (of which there is several near my house) the beers are Bt.65.

Dead right, the same here in Bang Saray, small beers 60baht, large bottles 80 baht right on the beach with lovely views and great service.

43 minutes ago, marcho said:

Dead right, the same here in Bang Saray, small beers 60baht, large bottles 80 baht right on the beach with lovely views and great service.

I suspect natway09 is a greedy bar owner vainly attempting to justify his/her customer gouging.

• Like 1

This poll is rigged by starting at a high price and not accommodating lower priced bars.  

I'm in Pattaya and you can have a local beer for around 60-65 baht in a quiet local bar.  If you hit bars with aircon, music, or loaded with the spruiker bar girls then you'll pay up to around 90 baht.  

Lady drinks are where a cheap night becomes very expensive.  What a strange culture this all is!!

Bangkok bars are a rip off.  Paying same or above Australian prices for a beer - and Aussie beer is poured on tap chilled in a cold glass.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robblok said:

You have to understand those are people who have only ever earned wages. So they see price of beer in supermarket then see your price and start to moan. No idea what you have to pay. No idea that you still need to pay rent in low season so you also have to take into account those bad times. Like covid for instance, you need to build up reserves and so on.

Why would I care what the bar owner pays for everything?

If the bar owner can't manage his overheads and staff, that's his problem, not mine.

Same with supermarkets or any other place serving the public.

If they charge too much, customers will shop somewhere else.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would I care what the bar owner pays for everything?

If the bar owner can't manage his overheads and staff, that's his problem, not mine.

Same with supermarkets or any other place serving the public.

If they charge too much, customers will shop somewhere else.

Indeed, vote with your feet. But do understand that service and good surroundings and a nice place cost money. Its up to you to decide if its worth it or not. That is how it works. 

If you can't understand that a nice location and hot girls cost more then a grubby bar in a back alley with no aircon then you lost touch with reality.

• Haha 1

Rare I every sip at a restaurant.  When I did, depending on venue, I'd go max, 50% mark up over supermarket price.  I won't pay more for my beverage than the meal.  I don't do bars.

Nobody carries my preferred tipple anyway.  Use to sip Beer Lao, but switched off.  Last time was 120 baht (up from 100 baht the week prior ????), couple years ago, and thought that a bit silly, as 100% mark up at the time.  Nice venue though, but apparently I'm not the only one who stopped going, as been empty since their price increase.

Edited by KhunLA

On 12/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, pagallim said:

Beer prices at a beach bar in Phuket (from one week ago), demonstrating that tourist areas need not be expensive.

20211127_131251.jpg

Some of the posters on this thread would have a seizure looking at the prices on that menu, they would be asking for the location of the nearest 7/11.

• Haha 1

Price of beer is irrelevant to me. I care about the price of soda water and tea. All depends on eye candy, P4P opportunities, sufficient lighting to make an informed decision and music not being too loud. I never complained about the price of nursing a Singha water at Thermae.

So, the price per se is not the issue. *Value* is the issue  Thus, if a venue had only 18-21 year old stunners and a low punter to freelancer ratio (and was open in the afternoon), I would happily pay THB300 for 3ml of H2O

Edited by World Traveller2