What do you think is a fair beer price in a bar?

FruitPudding

In your opinion, what beer price is fair in a bar or pub here?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

Price of beer is irrelevant to me. I care about the price of soda water and tea. All depends on eye candy, P4P opportunities, sufficient lighting to make an informed decision and music not being too loud. I never complained about the price of nursing a Singha water at Thermae.

Yes, if you go into bars just to pick up prostitutes for sex , you wouldn't be concerned about the price of beer , quite obvious really 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, if you go into bars just to pick up prostitutes for sex , you wouldn't be concerned about the price of beer , quite obvious really 

Sorry, for being dense, but is there any other reason to visit a bar in Thailand? Or do you mean alternatively, picking up a prostitute to play a game of checkers? If bars served a certain herb (coming soon) or Pu Er tea, I would be happier. Except for a very judicious serving to get my juices flowing I see no advantage of alcoholic beverages being served versus alternatives. In fact I much preferred a particular coffee shop in the Arab Quarter of Bangkok in 1992. In fact, why not a java hut go-go bar that rhymes with 'Star(B)ucks'?

I do understand that Brits and Germans (and apparently ethnic-Chinese Malaysians in Malaysia) like the social element of drinking in groups of men while watching football on TV. Or Japanese having their female cIompanion of the hour pour them drinks while they ignore them. I can't think of anything more tedious. Different strokes. Even I can handle a good stout at a sidewalk cafe in Yangon. But the price of booze is somewhere near the bottom of my list of priorities.

Edited by World Traveller2

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So many options today, compare to before. Now you can chat at dating apps and social media for minutes or months before meet up, and a bar or anywhere, and it will be just like dating in real life.

Smart independent girls do not need a bar scene anymore.

1 hour ago, World Traveller2 said:

Sorry, for being dense, but is there any other reason to visit a bar in Thailand?

Days past ... Simply to kill time at curbside bar on Soi 4, while GF is doing her thing, shopping, hair, visiting with family ... you get to view the eye candy / Thai life stroll by for a few hours.   Especially in afternoon when 2 for 1 ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Forget a beer bar.

I've spent 150 baht at Starbucks and took a few cashiers home and I didn't have to spend time in a stinking smelly bar.

And for the haters Starbucks coffee is great!

But most of us are not members of the clergy.....????

On 12/14/2021 at 8:22 AM, Walker88 said:

I have no idea what your job or profession is or was, but my opinion is that you were grossly overpaid.  Slash your compensation by 95% will teach you a lesson. I'll save my sympathy for bar owners (I'm not a bar owner).

Yes, there's some sarc up there^

Perhaps you are unaware how bars and restaurants make a profit. Food has a low margin. Food by delivery service is a loss. Places closed because without booze they couldn't cover variable costs, and most were incurring fixed costs regardless of open or closed. Why should they add variable costs they cannot cover?

You might argue, 'then raise the price on food', but GUARANTEED you would complain about that, too.

I'm guessing only YOUR remuneration is sacrosanct. Every business owner, in your world, is a blood-sucking vampire.

Who you trying to kid?

Food has a lower margin that booze, yes. But the margins are still good. We ain't talking about 40 baht fried rice (which is 200 in a pub). We are talking about 350 baht for two sausages and mash. A frozen Cumberland from Makro works out at 20 baht; potatoes are inexpensive. But I don't have a problem with food prices. I haven't complained about that. It's the beer prices we are talking about. But of course I would complain if the prices got higher. You want me to pay 500 for some bacon, eggs, and toast? lol

To be honest, a pub lunch in the UK is less than Thailand (food and beer). Yet, in the UK they pay their staff properly, not to mention higher taxes and more expensive utility bills. And they still make profit, don't they. I reckon the Thai business owners with farang customers are laughing.

I am sure I earn less than the average pub owner here, by the way, and I have worked a range of jobs, by the way.

There are business that run solely off food margins, no alcohol at all. Like every take-away in the UK. Most people only have a drink or two in restaurants as well, or even just water. How do they survive? Like I said, "Who you trying to kid, mate?"

I am sure the rent in Sukhumvit is a few hundred thousand a month, but they run that through the till in a couple of days.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, World Traveller2 said:

Sorry, for being dense, but is there any other reason to visit a bar in Thailand? Or do you mean alternatively, picking up a prostitute to play a game of checkers? If bars served a certain herb (coming soon) or Pu Er tea, I would be happier. Except for a very judicious serving to get my juices flowing I see no advantage of alcoholic beverages being served versus alternatives. In fact I much preferred a particular coffee shop in the Arab Quarter of Bangkok in 1992. In fact, why not a java hut go-go bar that rhymes with 'Star(B)ucks'?

I do understand that Brits and Germans (and apparently ethnic-Chinese Malaysians in Malaysia) like the social element of drinking in groups of men while watching football on TV. Or Japanese having their female cIompanion of the hour pour them drinks while they ignore them. I can't think of anything more tedious. Different strokes. Even I can handle a good stout at a sidewalk cafe in Yangon. But the price of booze is somewhere near the bottom of my list of priorities.

Most of the Western world enjoy going out for a drink. You find this tedious, well up to you as they say here. 

Was down Fitzgerald's on Soi 4 last night from 9pm onwards. 

99 a pint of Leo. 109 a pint of Singha.

Good pints, good location. Cant beat the price for evening drinking in the area.

Another little farang bar right across the road was charging 120 for small bottles of Singha, 130 for pints of Tiger and 150 for pints of Heineken (evening prices of course; daytime prices were 100, 100, and 120, respectively).

There is quite a range in prices in the immediate area.

Some places have noticeably put their prices up since covid with the general attitude of, "I lost money so I will claw it back from my customers" but others were always that expensive.

Gotta love the few places that haven't put their prices up since covid, or charge the same price for drinks all day and night: The Red Lion, Fitzgerald's are perhaps the only two that spring to mind in the lower Sukhumvit area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pity the poll only goes up to 120 a small bottle. Some pubs don't even have prices that cheap.

There are Irish pubs in Silom charging 130 a small Chang and 150 for a small San Mig Light after 7pm. Lol.

Edited by 2009

7 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Pity the poll only goes up to 120 a small bottle. Some pubs don't even have prices that cheap.

There are Irish pubs in Silom charging 130 a small Chang and 150 for a small San Mig Light after 7pm. Lol.

I would imagine that the price of the beer in some of these places  reflexs the rent prices and maybe other payments that the tenant has to pay. 

I go to Ma & Pop shops and sit there to have a beer.

In a restaurant I wouldn't bother having a large bottle beer if its more than 70 baht. 

Like with everything the price is a result of offer and demand. And the demand may be the result of many factors.

Maybe the beer brand offered, maybe the friendliness, maybe the location, the atmosphere, if it is a celebrity place etc, etc. etc. Endless possibilities.

Now its up to you what is important. And then you are as well willing to pay the price for it. I recently heard of a pair of ordinary cantaloupe melons in Japan who were sold (or at least offered) for $40'000.- a pair. In this case one of the criteria was the design of the surface. Different priorities obviously. Same here.

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would imagine that the price of the beer in some of these places  reflexs the rent prices and maybe other payments that the tenant has to pay. 

I go to Ma & Pop shops and sit there to have a beer.

In a restaurant I wouldn't bother having a large bottle beer if its more than 70 baht. 

I dunno.

The beer in touristy Bangkok is more expensive than in a UK city where they pay decent salaries to staff, proper taxes, high utility bills (especially heating in winter).....and yet they still make a profit. 

I am sure the rent isn't cheap, but pubs have to pay rent in the west too (and it certainly ain't cheap either).

They certainly have a good business and a lot of pricing power over the customer. Haha