More Omicron Cases Likely in January

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, rainham said:

As i understand it the said UK fatality died with omicron not of it, i could be wrong. Any how it looks like you guys have until mid January before you can catch it which is nice to know,  i wish the UK Government could let us know when we could possibly get it . Another fiasco from the UK government as usual .

Stay safe guy's 

So when Omicron deaths in the UK hit 100+, what will you say then? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The UK government does not yet know the implications of Omicron, whether it will be dangerous or not. 

The people here who are downplaying Omicron don't have to deal with the consequences of being wrong. 

True enough I'm going by the information coming from Africa and it seems pretty  positive so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

Have you heard about Delta and Omicron combining to create an even worse variant? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10309153/Risk-DUAL-infection-Omicron-Delta-create-new-super-mutant-variant.html

Pretty sure we'll be wiped out sooner or later

The link is an interesting read , even if clearly ' fearmongering ' as a combined infection of Delta and omicron in the same person at the same time did not happen yet . But , as Omicron is a lot different to the Delta strain , it could be a possibility ... That this could create a more lethal ' supervirus ' is , at this point , pure speculation that hopefully , will never happen .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

The silver lining to this is that killing the host is not good for a virus. An alive more healthy host moves through the community more, allowing the virus to fulfill its main objective ,which is to reproduce.

Good post ,

but a virus has neither a metabolism , nor consciousness .

It is more like a sophisticated , ever evolving tool .

Designed for what purpose and by whom ?

Well , my theory is that it is simply a part of the immune system of ... a living planet , that needs to protect itself against a threat ...

There are still many things that humans do not know about yet ...

Everything is connected ...

49 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Let's hope so ... but a high transmission rate equals a high possibility of further mutations , what could mean no good ...

It's a bit early to celebrate and embrace , isn't it ?

Maybe - but Spanish Flu never 'died out' as such - it became less deadly and is now just a part of the common flu viruses that sweep the world every year.  Viruses have been around for billions of years - they 'survive' by becoming more infectious but less deadly - they mutate all the time - killing off the hosts kills off themselves.  It maybe too early to call as Spanish flu lasted 3+ years before becoming less deadly - but this latest mutation could be the start of less deadly mutations in the future. I sure hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rainham said:

As i understand it the said UK fatality died with omicron not of it, i could be wrong. Any how it looks like you guys have until mid January before you can catch it which is nice to know,  i wish the UK Government could let us know when we could possibly get it . Another fiasco from the UK government as usual .

Stay safe guy's 

The usual metric is died within 28 days of a positive test. A case of when not if in the UK.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Agreed, the death could just well have been a 108 year old pensioner, with dementia, final stage cancer, over four hundred KG and died on an electric scooter whilst chain smoking  !

Predisposing factors only make things more or less likely. If the cause of death is said to be covid, then that IS the cause of death, just maybe happened a bit sooner.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, AussieBob9999 said:

Maybe - but Spanish Flu never 'died out' as such - it became less deadly and is now just a part of the common flu viruses that sweep the world every year.  Viruses have been around for billions of years - they 'survive' by becoming more infectious but less deadly - they mutate all the time - killing off the hosts kills off themselves.  It maybe too early to call as Spanish flu lasted 3+ years before becoming less deadly - but this latest mutation could be the start of less deadly mutations in the future. I sure hope so.

27 minutes ago, AussieBob9999 said:

None of your assertions are supported by science.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The usual metric is determination of cause of death by a medical examiner, who will ignore the 28 day nothingburger.

In the UK reported data there are 2 categories

1) Deaths within 28 days of positive test by date reported

2) Daily deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate by date of death

The latter is usually higher, the totals currently showing 

146,627 and 170,911 respectively. 

Source

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chosenfew said:

You must wear a mask alone in your car, that will stop it.

Perhaps, if the car was previously occupied. But these comments are silly and not the point. I do not wear a mask when driving alone..... not been an issue. I keep one handy in case of a police stop of course. 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

In the UK reported data there are 2 categories

1) Deaths within 28 days of positive test by date reported

2) Daily deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate by date of death

The latter is usually higher, the totals currently showing 

146,627 and 170,911 respectively. 

Source

Yes more on that here and one of the reasons official covid deaths just because they died in a car crash and positive are put on the correct list. 

From https://www.ons.gov.uk/

Our data is derived from the death certificate, using information received at the point of death registration. This is different to the data used by PHE which records all deaths with a positive test within 28 days.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats an the urban legend. Taken from the WHO 8th Dec Covid Press Briefing Transcript:

I think, we need to caution everyone on. There is an assumption out there that as a disease becomes more transmissible it will become milder. I would hope that most viruses would become less transmissible and milder, that would be the ideal outcome.

But I think there's a little bit of an urban legend around that process. That doesn't necessarily happen. There is pressure on the virus to adapt and become more transmissible because that's an evolutionary pressure.

The outcome of whether a virus is more or less severe is much more random. It can happen, it can not happen and in that sense that's why we don't know and I think we have to be very, very careful in making any absolute determinations.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7150207/

PS - words from my post.  "maybe"  "I hope so"  etc etc etc.  If you are looking for absolute correctness in this pandemic for you to make an opinion on anything (or demand others do the same), I suggest you will never find it.  Everything has changed, and it will continue to change.  WHO  CDC  etc.  have all been wrong as many times as they have been right. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AussieBob9999 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7150207/

PS - words from my post.  "maybe"  "I hope so"  etc etc etc.  If you are looking for absolute correctness in this pandemic for you to make an opinion on anything (or demand others do the same), I suggest you will never find it.  Everything has changed, and it will continue to change.  WHO  CDC  etc.  have all been wrong as many times as they have been right. 

Not looking for anything from you. Just provided a quote from WHO on the latest information