Thai culture question

Paulaew

23 hours ago, Paulaew said:

This is more or less how the argument went with my wife (I added "more educated" for good measure). I didn't give in, but as multiple posters to this thread have argued, I was probably in the wrong.

Thanks for your support, appreciated.

Paul Laew

Nah, your wife was wrong, she should have warned you of this type of thing

and how to behave,  if meant so much to her.

Your not Thai. 

• Like 1

We farangs usually make a bit of a mess of this issue, at best looking awkward and uncomfortable. Over many years I have learned to wai back to a Thai waiing me, often followed immediately by my extending a handshake which, although not part of their culture, Thais seem to appreciate.

• Like 2

Just now, Hummin said:

When somebody wai you to pay you respect, it is as rude as not accept a hand reaching out to hand shake someone who offer their hand to be polite. 

Some think to mutt when it comes to wai, and I would say all involved in the op story, is wrong. It is just a polite gesture, a wai, nothing else. 

Stop thinking to much, if you shake hands, you shake hands, if not, dont, the same with a wai. 

Why. It has not caused any trouble.

3 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Why. It has not caused any trouble.

Either you understand, or don't understand. Both is just fine! 

You are just a retired or a tourist, and really do not to interact with any locals, apply for work, or be in any near relation to anyone off matter.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Paulaew said:

I know this can seem a trivial topic, but it's actually quite important to my wife, since she felt my actions reflected poorly on her. If you have a Thai spouse and are here long term, you may find it necessary to live in Thai society.

I know some farang enjoy thumbing their noses at Thai norms that seem quaint or outdated or even ridiculous. And it is undoubtedly true that respect is often required when it is not deserved.  But I make an effort to go along with the conventions while maintaining my integrity (not always easy).

My original question could be put this way -- when it comes to wai priority, does position trump age, education and wealth? Andre0720 suggested in his post that it does. Not that a department head in a Thai government school is such an exalted position ...

Paul Laew

My understanding is that position / status will trump age ....  I think on balance you should have wai first ...  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Either you understand, or don't understand. Both is just fine! 

You are just a retired or a tourist, and really do not to interact with any locals, apply for work, or be in any near relation to anyone off matter.

What is your problem?

Ah the Why's of Wai'ing

Basically your wife is subservient and brought up in the hierarchal culture of pyramid power. We live where we do - probably I'd just Wai quickly to make sure I got Nookie that night.

Don't tink 2 mut  TIT.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

. I never had a problem

From years of posts you had mountains of problems and things you complained about... If you re wai-ed to it is only polite to return it - same as you would if offered a handshake... it is really not that big a deal to be polite... and that is all that is going on - an attempt well-meant to be polite will be appreciated.. 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

hold the payments a while to show who's the boss in your house.

What are you 90 yrs old or something. What an old fashioned way to think. 

OP's wife could be the bread winner in the family. My wife is. 

Not all of us marry bar girls....

My 2 cents worth on this topic is that OP has an ego and also probably forgets or doesn't understand the wai culture. If so we might have something in common. I forget all the time myself. When thais wai me I often forget to wai back.

Im hoping that most thai's realise that most farangs dont understand their culture and 

are forgiving in this regards. 

57 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

If you do not wai correctly they will laugh at you

Just simply not true... when you are out and around and bump into people, you might have a grocery bag in one hand - - you or they will try and wai as best you can and both laugh is my experience... 

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

In the OP's position I wouldn't wai at all. I never did, and the most I did was a bow and a smile. If the wife doesn't like it, hold the payments a while to show who's the boss in your house.

I was always amused by farangs that tried to be a Thai.

Agreed, with me and my woman it's always been 'Mai Wai' or the HighWay.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:14 AM, Paulaew said:

Am I mistaken, or is there a law of inherited subservience here that I'm not aware of? Should I have been the wai-er or the wai-ee?

In my opinion yes, you should be a "wai-er", first of all because she is a government employed and you are a foreigner, secondly because of what you wife says.

Personally I rather wai a little too much, and little too often, that the opposite, but I never wai back to staff that wais me - i.e. could be the cashier in hypermarket, and other staff, or a guard - but I will normally return such a wai with a polite little nod and smile (the latter is not seen during facemask-era, apart from my smiling eyes)...????

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 8:58 AM, Paulaew said:

No, it was an awkward moment -- she was waiting for a wai from me that was not forthcoming. I was expecting a wai from her. It was more or less a breakdown of wai expectations.

What followed was a delayed and sort of fumbled co-wai. Neither she nor my wife looked happy about it.

Paul Laew

Paul, I understand your thought on the wai protocol. I only say, when my Stepdaughter’s Teacher comes to our home, I immediately offer the wai, without question. The wai, at the same time, from the Teacher has always been offered upon entering our home. Yes, if we wanted to get down to particulars, I am the elder, I am the retired Professor but a mutual wai is preferable to me. Just my take after a decade here, easier to be mutually respectful. Had I offered the wai and it not be returned … yes, that would lower my opinion of the person affronting me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Paulaew said:

I know this can seem a trivial topic, but it's actually quite important to my wife, since she felt my actions reflected poorly on her. If you have a Thai spouse and are here long term, you may find it necessary to live in Thai society.

I know some farang enjoy thumbing their noses at Thai norms that seem quaint or outdated or even ridiculous. And it is undoubtedly true that respect is often required when it is not deserved.  But I make an effort to go along with the conventions while maintaining my integrity (not always easy).

My original question could be put this way -- when it comes to wai priority, does position trump age, education and wealth? Andre0720 suggested in his post that it does. Not that a department head in a Thai government school is such an exalted position ...

Paul Laew

If in doubt wai, it's hardly an onerous task.

I usually wai when I have been wai ed too first but make exceptions when dealing with officials as it makes them respond to you and shows you understand the protocol and smooths the transaction.

My wife has never made any comment on my wai ing in 13 years here.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, Srikcir said:

"Wai" is a symbol of social inequality, a throwback to the days of the Kingdom of Siam. It doesn't belong in a modern democratic society, but then Thailand seems stuck in an undemocratic past in regard to its societal behavior. But I believe that the wai enables the Thai elite class to this day in a perceived societal hierarchy.

Wow. That is very much what I think about the Wai.

The sooner it disappears from this culture, the better.

So that children are not diminished for being younger, and that they do not feel resentment when they finally grow up,

This resentment takes the form of non-respect for elders. To the point of total selfishness towards others.

The Wai, as a form of teaching about respect, does exactly the opposite.

• Like 1

Everyone loves Thai culture until they don't or it's inconvenient for them ???? Now we have here a bunch of foreigners saying the wai offends them in one way shape of form. Grow up. It's polite, easy to do and shows repect to elders and monks. How can that be wrong. Take the grousing here to it's logical conclusion and we would stop all forms of politeness and respect (bowing, hand shakes, tipping of the hat, etc. etc.).

In my opinion, the visitor should offer the first wai. However, If you wish to offer the first wai to welcome to a visitor, then a low chest high wai would have been acceptable, but i would not offer subservience in my own home.

Furthermore, if i knew the visitor was an English speaker, i would only offer a smile and a "Hi. Come on in".

OP-What subject does your wife teach?