Thailand may cancel Test & Go due to Omicron: Anutin

webfact

18 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Yes, better to ignore global science and do your own thing.

All this information and research, for what?

Glad i have the resident TVF epidemiologists to listen too.

Educated at a Soi Bukahow barstool.

What do you think we should do?

Drink bleach?

You can drink bleach if you want to. I've listened to the scientists since the beginning, had my jabs etc. 

There is a lot of evidence suggesting the Omicron variant is mild, and I haven't seen any evidence suggesting Omicron is highly virulent. 

It could be be the beginning of the end, but big pharma (and those invested in big pharma) would probably rather not say that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oracle2022 said:

The issue for Thailand and indeed, many Asian countries is that South Africa did not use SINO vaccines.  Europe and UK did not use SINO vaccines.

So whilst it seems Omicron is "mild" in Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccinated people - we don't know yet how SINO vaccinated people will get on.

That exposes Thai authorities to "risk".........don't do enough and find Omicron is more severe in SINO jabbed people and then its a big big problem.

So they should Errrrr on the side of caution...........

Which makes me wonder (sarcasm on) why they bothered with Sinovac and Sinopharm in the first place. All seems very quiet on the Thailand AZ front as well. (sarcasm off)

6 hours ago, Oracle2022 said:

Indonesia is already back to 10 days quarantine and most other countries still have quarantine or not allowing tourists in.

Thailand will be badly hit if they dont stop the Test and Go asap.

Need to put in place mandatory 7 days quarantine for all Thailand Pass holders from as soon as possible - only needs them to extend their one night to 7 nights quarantine booking.

PCR test before travel.

PCR test on arrival.

PCR test on day 6.

That system would work well and delay the spread, or at least make the spread and number of cases more manageable now.

Continue as they are now and Thailand is heading for certain lockdown in a few week time as cases go through the roof.

What you propose will never work for the Thai authorities. Your suggestion is far too sensible. I'm booked to arrive 19th January and already have Thai pass. Another 6 days would work for me. Any longer then I would likely cancel or try to do sandbox (if available). 

Edited by soi3eddie

2 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Would love to know how many cases are from those on direct flights from Europe and how many come from those mixing in tbe middle east? 

That concerns me also but I doubt an infection 6 to 10 hours earlier would show on a PCR test - could be wrong but I doubt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Anyone who travels now is playing Russian Roulette, whether they have good cause to or not. Even fathers who haven't seen their kids for two years. They take their chance and have to accept that their months of planning may be wrecked. That's just the way it is.

Then I doubt you are one of those waiting to see your family.  Its not the way it is, its the way they are making it.  To repeat a now oft said phrase, one even repeated by Thailand's great leader 'We have to learn to live with this virus'.

• Like 1

Can anyone recall how much notice (if any) was provided previously when flip-flopping from 10 day back to 14 day quarantine or other similar changes?  We are scheduled to arrive on the 27th but could change to the 22nd.  The problem is even the 22nd may not be early enough if they can change the policy effective immediately while we are in the air

5 hours ago, bananafish said:

63 confirmed cases, probably all asymptomatic, but SOME may lead to the sniffles. 

Omicron is the end of the pandemic, the sooner it becomes the dominant variant, the better.

Open up everything now. It's time to revert ALL measures to 2019 standards. 

Nobody KNOWS if Omicron is the end of the pandemic. Most people believed that Delta was the end, then along came Omicron.

Will there be another mutation? Ask the doctors and scientists but they probably won't know either.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smedly said:

it was always a risk this could happen, many on here advised people not to travel to Thailand right now or anywhere for that matter and leave it well into 2022

I hope you recover your money if you decide npt to travel 

I believe many were expecting the change back to the COE/14-day quarantine program and the basic wish of the Thai authorities. 

The bottom line: returning to more lucrative and profitable scam......as none of these proposed schemes had anything to do with concern or well being of the masses. 

So....another predictable/false scare and panic plays right into their hands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Also the first person to die of Omicron was made a real thing of. Boris saying how it had started killing people now. BUT what they failed to say was the guy that died was - according to his own family - a 70 year old recluse that had refused the vaccine and booster program. Being held hostage for this is ridiculous. 

Yes, its about time the UK started giving us the correct figures.  I'd like to know more about who's been infected, who's died and their vaccination status.  Whenever the media talk to NHS staff in live reports from hospital wards, the staff know immediately who has and has not been vaccinated, their age and their previous physical condition - in every report I've seen so far, the vast majority have been unvaccinated.  I'm sure the government has the figures but they don't make them public.  If the figures given by NHS staff in those reports are a reflection of the bigger picture, publishing them would surely help fight vaccine hesitancy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

So, only speculation then. Obviously it's too early to have any hard evidence. 

Professor Karl Friston, a virus modeller at University College London, warns that “a protracted wave of long Covid is inevitable” and conservatively estimates new long Covid cases will hit 862 a day by Christmas.

The professor say's it's inevitable.

Another TVF epidemiologist who chooses the scientists and data he wants.

You asked for a link and i provided one.

Your deflection is disappointing but not unexpected.

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Anyone who travels now is playing Russian Roulette, whether they have good cause to or not. Even fathers who haven't seen their kids for two years. They take their chance and have to accept that their months of planning may be wrecked. That's just the way it is.

Then I doubt you are one of those waiting to see your family.  Its not the way it is, its the way they are making it.  To repeat a now oft said phrase, one even repeated by Thailand's great leader 'We have to learn to live with this virus'.

So you are saying that those who, understandably, travel now are not running a risk of closed borders and/or quarantine? It is, as you say, the way they are making it, whether you or I agree with it or not. That doesn't change the fact that anyone travelling now isn't taking a risk. Of course they are, and anyone who travels without very good reason needs to think very carefully before doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I grow to hate Thailand more and more everyday...you can have my flight, hotel, PCR, ATK and taxi fee, hope it makes you feel good to rip off another Falang as I'll not be coming back for it to happen again 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

I guess their are reasons but all the "I have not seen my family for 2 years" folks why not?  I know plenty who have come.

Original quarantine, how long has the Phuket sandbox been around?  And then with reduced quarantine?  Now the TP is going on 2 months.

Noone is probably ever going to waltz into this country on Visa exempt again.  Plenty of opportunities so what is the issue; I don't want to do this or that or follow the protocols?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So you are saying that those who, understandably, travel now are not running a risk of closed borders and/or quarantine? It is, as you say, the way they are making it, whether you or I agree with it or not. That doesn't change the fact that anyone travelling now isn't taking a risk. Of course they are, and anyone who travels without very good reason needs to think very carefully before doing so.

You shouldn't need reminding that its close to 2 years now.  Even the WHO agree that travel bans are not the answer. Yes, there is a risk but what can people do?  You try to book a flight on so called 'flexible booking' terms - the truth of which is yet to be seen, and you leave everything else as late as you possibly can.  Many testing companies have no refund policies at all and neither do some airport parking companies.  I repeat, this variant will spread in Thailand whatever they do but any further restrictions now will simply kill off much of what is left of the Thai tourist industry. What will be achieved by any further measures? Buy a few weeks?