Dashcam on motorbike?

bbko

Anyone here have a dashcam on their motorbike?  With all the accidents we see in the news and all the idiot drivers causing me to swerve, brake, stop on a daily basis I'm considering installing a dashcam on my bike.  I see Lazada has front & rear cams for motorbikes for 1-2k.  My Aerox already has a auxiliary power outlet, so I just need to plug in a cam and mount it.  

But before I do that I want to see if others have tried it or have thoughts on the subject.  Rain? Theft? Battery drainage?  Playback Quality? TIA.

• Like 1

I took my camera off my helmet, it doesnt change the way that some road users drive, It doesnt make you invincible, but found it gave me a false sense of security.

Maybe they have improved, but using a bike mounted cameras bounce around too much, the output may be good for a YouTube channel, but you wouldn't be able to make out a number plate, helmet cameras are a PITA, you can feel the weight / resistance pulling on your neck and you always need to charge them or plug them in. 

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

You can buy rigid  neck holders for your mobile phone from Lazada and use an app that loops and stores segments of video for long periods. Works well for me when i hire bikes that have no usb charger for cams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I use a body cam because it fits easily with a magnetic mount on my shirt and cuts down on vibration.  I can also switch between my two motorbikes and my pedal bike instead of having to buy more than one unit.. They one I bought was the Boblov T5 with a body worn magnetic mount. It works well for me and cannot get stolen off your bike.

Just had a look at these. IR vision somewhat restricted but I refrain from riding at night anyway so no biggie.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:43 PM, scubascuba3 said:

You are probably riding too fast, try controlling yourself better, dashcams are a PITA

Depends what types of cam you use. 

Innovv K2 - fixed, set up & forget. Forward & rear facing…

Not sideways so won’t identify a sideways shunt, but picks up detailed footage is someone has been a complete tool or if someone is trying to pin the blame for an accident on you.

Works of the ignition power, no need to worry about batteries 

Helmet cans & batteries are more of a PITA…. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mwbrown said:

I would never ride a motorbike in this country without video for proof when needed.

This might not help motorcyclists much, but I built my own system for my car out of off-the-shelf cameras, router, 4G dongle and VPN server stowed in the dashboard. The system has forward, rear and cabin cameras. The video feed is uploaded to my own server room (I'm an IT consultant). I store around six months of driving, more if I add more storage. I also have a 'normal' dashcam as a backup in case there is no 4G signal. My rationale is that no one can tamper with the evidence, and the evidence is in my server room, which is mirrored to my rack in Singapore.

If this system is not operational for whatever reason when I start the car, I turn off the car and go back inside and make a cup of tea instead. I will not drive without video being recorded, but I might make an exception in an emergency.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 2 cam on my small scooter, rear and front. They are about ฿200-300 each, but they do the job for my small size motorcycle. I turn the key on and they start working. You can have a by pass switch to be able to keep them on while your bike is off. I did all wiring, USB. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, so one says a bike mounted camera shakes too much, another that the bike mounted camera picture is good ("the video is clear and not affected by rough terrain") 

So, what did they do different? Do rubber mounts help enough? Or is it just perception of video qullity? 

Edited by MikeyIdea

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

Hi guys, so one says a bike mounted camera shakes too much, another that the bike mounted camera picture is good ("the video is clear and not affected by rough terrain") 

So, what did they do different? Do rubber mounts help enough? Or is it just perception of video qullity? 

Perhaps both....  Different ideas of quality and acceptance of image stability will naturally come into it.

Head mounted systems may be better for motorcyclists, but head mount systems come with a element of ‘faff’ with charging batteries, wind drag on the helmet, how many cam’s rear facing too ???

Bike mounted systems are faff free... just mount them in an ‘intelligent’ spot, forward and rear facing, a system designed for motorcycles will include more robust mounts which eradicate ‘shake’.

Take a look at the INNOVV K2...  IMO its the best Motorcycle camera system out there, or it was about 2 years ago when I was researching this in depth before making my choice. 

I also looked for ‘Smart helmets’ with inbuilt cameras but decided they weren’t quite there yet. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, Asquith Production said:

I use a body cam because it fits easily with a magnetic mount on my shirt and cuts down on vibration.  I can also switch between my two motorbikes and my pedal bike instead of having to buy more than one unit.. They one I bought was the Boblov T5 with a body worn magnetic mount. It works well for me and cannot get stolen off your bike.

What's the battery life with a bidy cam?  Do you use a USB charger before each ride?

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

What's the battery life with a bidy cam?  Do you use a USB charger before each ride?

You get two batteries and both are quoted at about 6hrs continuous recording but I have never run the camera that long. You will certainly get more than 3 hours per battery. Their are many new Boblov cameras on the market  and plenty of reviews on Youtube, 

• Thanks 1

I use a Drift Ghost on my helmet and one is mounted to the rear of my bike.  Battaries last ages unlike my pants DJI and NoPro. Twice I have had a slight knock with minor damage where the driver blamed me.  The satisfaction of cam footage is priceless.  Worth it even if you go cheap.  Without it the front fender would have cost me 25k.

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, BBJ said:

I use a Drift Ghost on my helmet

One of the contributing factors to Michael Schumacher's situation is that he had a camera mounted on his ski helmet.

Just saying...

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:11 AM, VocalNeal said:

One of the contributing factors to Michael Schumacher's situation is that he had a camera mounted on his ski helmet.

Just saying...

Fair enough.  I can mount to the crash bar if needed.  Doesn't need to be mounted to the helmet.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:11 AM, VocalNeal said:
On 12/28/2021 at 8:26 AM, BBJ said:

I use a Drift Ghost on my helmet

Just saying...

A suspicion which was investigated... the conclusion: the impact was beyond the helmet’s ability to absorb. 

It was the ‘cam mounting’ and the location of mounting on the helmet which was considered as a factor in the helmet splitting in two - this was disproven.

All pretty much irrelevant to this topic anyway.....  The motorcycle helmet is significantly different, of greater consequence would be the ‘drag’ generated by a helmet mounted camera when travelling at speed.