WHO Recommends Canceling Holiday Activities Amid Omicron Spread

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your being serious now, really?  For someone who wanted the opening of Thailand and High Season to be started in December when they reached the supposed 70% of vaccinations, which they are still far from that mark, and then when you touted they would meet the 100 million vaccinations by December you were wrong on that as well.  I guess when the goal posts get moved so many times it becomes a blur. Sure they are at over a 100 million jabs but that's when you count the Boosters in that they have had to give very soon after finding one vaccine was not working during Deltas climb upwards.  Not looking good for High Season, and many of us were not certain your predictions would come true, which they have not.  Health services being provided right now are at the lowest level they have been at in a long time, and the death rate which you have been one to post about has dropped.  

However shutting the country now and saying that only those traveling into Thailand will bring in Omicron is dead wrong.

For someone who has been banging  about kids playing in the park and people out walking in the fresh  air with no face covering on for fear of spreading the virus, telling everyone how to stay safe and look after loved ones etc to now think it’s ok to travel to Covid hotspots and return under T&G because it suits you to change your tune, how convenient………..do me a favour, save your sermon for someone who wants to listen. 

Fair play to the previous poster for pointing it out. 

Edited by Kadilo

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's really pointless. You try to engage in a good faith discussion and only get lies supported by thin air. You'll never get a link to credible data. They just won't do it.

So far we've had the Daily Mail and spiked online as scientific authorities.

Poster doesn't even realise that the CCSA makes decisions nationwide and that Bangkok police have carried out raids in Jomtein before.

No doubt sitting on his Soi Bukahow bar stool getting his scientific data.

However, he can rely on the support of the only forum member to get each and every pandemic prediction wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Wrong on every count

Nothing is "proven" with Omicron

It has already claimed some deaths.

and you yourself start with "so far" - which is a bit of an oxymoron - given that no-one will be able to be definite in any degree until the week after Christmas.

Are the doctors in South Africa also wrong? 

34 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Are the doctors in South Africa also wrong? 

They are neither right nor wrong. They made no conclusive claims. There is preliminary data which indicated that omicron might be less virulent. This has been observed in the UK and in SA. In both cases there is a high degree of natural immunity due to previous infections or from vaccines. All of the articles linked above point to this as a possible explanation for the apparent low incidence of serious cases and the need for more data.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Thunglom said:

If you were on the Titanic and you saw an iceberg approaching but you couldn't be sure how big it was or if we were going to collide. What would you do?

Stare at it until it hit or passed, or get the passengers to put on lie jackets and check all the life boats just in case?

It's the same with Omicron.

If we run with that metaphor (?), it is perhaps worth noting that the Titanic had insufficient lifeboats (vaccination) for the passengers it carried, and although all had lifejackets they died from another cause than drowning (Covid) hyperthermia.

3 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Sorry WHO, I'm going out on NYE ????.

Covid or no Covid. If I get and/or spread Omicron, it is what it is I guess. ????‍♂️

Such a responsible statement, Delta is still around as well as Omicron yet you're ok to get infected and spread it so long as you only get infected with Omicron...lol

4 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

If we run with that metaphor (?), it is perhaps worth noting that the Titanic had insufficient lifeboats (vaccination) for the passengers it carried, and although all had lifejackets they died from another cause than drowning (Covid) hyperthermia.

I'm surprised at how fickle some people can be - it'ds not a metaphor, its an analogy - you clearly don't know what they are for\BTW - Titanic only had enough lifeboats to accommodate approximately a third of the ship's total capacity.

3 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Nah. You could hit me with Delta too. I've been rolling my eyes at Covid restrictions since the start. Still was a good boy and got my shots and wore my mask tho.

But it's been two years lost to this sh-t. What are we supposed to do, stay home forever? No.

It was the spread it remark that got me, no worries I understand we are all fed up with this, me too, in a way while they are letting in people daily into the community through Phuket sandbox then why not.

I'm just taking a different approach that's all. 

17 hours ago, phukettrader said:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding omicron. So far, it has proved to be extremely mild - basically no more than a bad cold, and according to official statistics in the UK, around 40% of people don't even know they have it until they are tested (using a test which is extremely inaccurate). Surely this is great news as it means that the "virus" is mutating into something that is basically harmless to most people, signalling the possible end to this pandemic. Funny how you never hear any of this on mainsteam media or from governments.

I don't think you are getting the same messages that I see from the media. Health authorities and professionals in both the UK and US are predicting that within weeks the hospital and health systems of their country are likely to be overwhelmed.

I guess those who are covid deniers will poo poo that as alarmist or a conspiracy. We will see.

i wonder how this variant came right before new year celebrations, is it to help health authorites to convince people to avoid crowding?

and how come it came from africa? is it to put pressure on world leaders to give vaccines to africa?

either way, some experts claim that all those variants performance is planned in advance, and some release A LIST OF PLANNED VARIANTS from allready last year - see photo.

Screenshot (35).png

• Haha 1

A big world war was overdue. This time it’s a war on populations that must be thrown back into serfdoms of all sorts, the deeper into chains, the merrier, while profits are made on them. Sadly two thirds of the populations sincerely believe what politicians tell them without giving it a second thought.

The good news is that world wars last only about 4 years normally. So we are already about halfway through. Wait another two years and get out of the trenches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

A big world war was overdue. This time it’s a war on populations that must be thrown back into serfdoms of all sorts, the deeper into chains, the merrier, while profits are made on them. Sadly two thirds of the populations sincerely believe what politicians tell them without giving it a second thought.

The good news is that world wars last only about 4 years normally. So we are already about halfway through. Wait another two years and get out of the trenches.

Stop smoking bad weed.

• Haha 1

What most posters seem to forget is that the Health workers, have also been battling COVID for nearly 2 years, some of them getting sick from it and dying as well.  In Canada, a lot of the Health workers are burned out from not only working a lot of extra hours, but having the stress of seeing so many people dying.

When it seems that most of the sickest patients, are the people who refused to get vaccinated, the health workers become more and more frustrated, that regular operations have been delayed, postponed or cancelled because people have died waiting for these operations.  That is also how some stress is making some of them quit. The Delta variant is still killing off lots of people. There are also some people who may catch Omicron and want to go to the hospital as they feel sick, and that will plug up the hospitals into the New Year.  

Stay safe, be cautious, wear your KN95 or N95  masks to protect yourselves, and have an okay Christmas, and stay healthy into the next year.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I'm surprised at how fickle some people can be - it'ds not a metaphor, its an analogy - you clearly don't know what they are for\BTW - Titanic only had enough lifeboats to accommodate approximately a third of the ship's total capacity.

I was pretty sure that metaphor was not the correct term, which is why I included the question mark - I was having a "mental block" and couldn't recall the word "allegory".

Incidentally, why "fickle" - which defines as " changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection"?

21 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I was pretty sure that metaphor was not the correct term, which is why I included the question mark - I was having a "mental block" and couldn't recall the word "allegory".

Incidentally, why "fickle" - which defines as " changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection"?

I think because fickle as used in the Quote "F...by the Fickle Finger of Fate" would mean all those that had not yet applied but were planning a trip have been....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Nah. You could hit me with Delta too. I've been rolling my eyes at Covid restrictions since the start. Still was a good boy and got my shots and wore my mask tho.

But it's been two years lost to this sh-t. What are we supposed to do, stay home forever? No.

My home is quite nice, I don't have that big a problem staying in it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My home is quite nice, I don't have that big a problem staying in it.

Yea, I'm pretty comfy myself.  Go out & about pretty much anywhere, anytime I want.  Don't do bars, so restrictions haven't really affected me at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Duds Carelse said:

There’s a lot of talk about the do’s and don’t’s of this new Omicron strain but not one mention of how we can protect ourselves with the vaccine and a booster.

Does anyone know if boosters are available anywhere in Thailand?

I understand, read boosters are available, though possibly on a priority basis here.  Don't expect too much extra, any protection from, as a doc told me yesterday ... she's receiving infected patients that had boosters.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, I'm pretty comfy myself.  Go out & about pretty much anywhere, anytime I want.  Don't do bars, so restrictions haven't really affected me at all.

Keeping safe by protecting yourself and family is easy if you follow the protocols.  Nothing is ever 100% effective,but if you do your due diligence then most will be OK.  Avoiding large crowds and unmasked folks is also a positive.

• Like 1