Over 200 Omicron cases confirmed in Thailand, Kalasin -Udon Thani cluster of concern

webfact

55 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

The blame game from government ministers will be in full swing rather than admit that woefully inadequate testing in Thailand's domestic population has let Omicron get a foot hold because they had no idea of true infection levels domestically.

That’s the norm, blame anyone apart from themselves. The bigger picture is quite likely as you say. The WHO specifically stated just over a week ago that it was probably already in most countries, it’s just that they had not detected it yet. So here we are. As posted earlier it’s also now in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What is happening in the UK is very interesting with each country reacting differently.

Agreed, interesting. I do feel sorry for the Welsh. I heard one commentator calling their First Minister 'Kim Jong Drakeford' yesterday. 

Both my parents and my brother and his wife and child all with covid in the Netherlands, its spreading fast. Thankfully all vaccinated and two with mild symptoms 2 worse. My old dad is ok, my mom has it bad so my brother's wife. Would not want to get it without being vaccinated.

But it's strange as we worried about my brother with his underlying illnesses, though my mom with her smoking it is as expected worse. I hope it won't take a turn and get worse for them but it's over a week already for the ones who got it bad.

Almost forget their young daughter has it too, she is having mild symptoms.

Edited by robblok
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Considering the hundreds of farang tourists in Hua Hin Market Village this morning, some not wearing masks I must add (no, not the people in the food court eating, people walking around!!!), I am sure there will be reports of Omicron in Hua Hin before the year is out.

Omicron will spread everywhere, masks or no masks. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, chang1 said:

If you catch and survive covid it is going to give some temporary protection but it will weaken over time so no getting around the need for boosters. 

I was listening to an epidemiologist the other day and he explained that in fact previous infection from Covid gives long term protection from severe illness if you were to catch it again. (something to do with T cells I think?). He said the idea of the boosters is to cut infection rates

I wish I could find a link or remember his name. 

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

It's not just the medical side. UK chief medical officer stated that they are looking at the wider impact on services. If you have many people having to isolate, doctors, nurses, police, ambulance, fire etc, it can have a knock on effect on services. Estimated 1 in 35 people in London now have covid.

So thousands of key workers are sitting at home for 7 days with no symptoms causing staff shortages. It will surely come to a point where those staff are allowed to continue working (wearing medical grade masks etc), now that Omicron is proven to be no worse than a heavy cold. 

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

So thousands of key workers are sitting at home for 7 days with no symptoms causing staff shortages. It will surely come to a point where those staff are allowed to continue working (wearing medical grade masks etc), now that Omicron is proven to be no worse than a heavy cold. 

Don’t forget it’s the festive season so the levels of sickness will always rise too. 

They have already reduced it from 10 to 7 so hopefully common sense will reduce it further. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I was listening to an epidemiologist the other day and he explained that in fact previous infection from Covid gives long term protection from severe illness if you were to catch it again. (something to do with T cells I think?). He said the idea of the boosters is to cut infection rates

I wish I could find a link or remember his name. 

Guardian had an article today where the data showed that omicron causes quite a lot of reinfections.

Some even had their 3rd case of covid.

If i remember correct it was like 1 out of 10 omicron cases that were reinfections.

I can't remember if they wrote if reinfections all were mild, due to previous infection.

I'm on phone and don't know how to link to article directly since it seems to just link to their main site.

Edit. Part of the story.

The UK Health Security Agency (HSA) said the findings showed that the population reinfection rate had “increased sharply and disproportionately

Edited by Virt

"The couple’s initial COVID-19 test results were negative and they travelled back to their hometown".

Which initial test results? To me it seems the couple could very well have contaminated themselves in Thailand.

By the way, this is something I hope will be investigated because it would mean present policies are dead wrong:

https://news.yahoo.com/nfl-medical-officer-asymptomatic-people-024229009.html

Edited by JackGats
added URL

18 minutes ago, Virt said:

Guardian had an article today where the data showed that omicron causes quite a lot of reinfections.

Some even had their 3rd case of covid.

If i remember correct it was like 1 out of 10 omicron cases that were reinfections.

I can't remember if they wrote if reinfections all were mild, due to previous infection.

I'm on phone and don't know how to link to article directly since it seems to just link to their main site.

I can't find the article you refer to although I think I saw that as well but I did find these from a little while ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/dec/02/omicron-may-cause-more-covid-reinfections-say-south-african-experts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59520945

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Does not bode well for reinstatement of Test & Go.

The Bank Of Thailand agree's with you, not good news at all:

The Bank of Thailand has already begun scaling back its GDP projections for 2022 as it concedes that the government’s suspension of the more popular ‘Test and Go’ system for incoming tourists is likely to be carried into the first half of next year either with the reopening of the programme with further conditions or a permanent suspension.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/12/24/thailand-economy-awaits-omicron-fallout/

Omicron, I lived threw Covid-19. Here's hoping I can make it threw Omicron.  

My luck the one that is supposed to be easy to get over will do me in.. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This demonstrates that the onset of Omicron may be a huge blessing, a real gift and the beginning of the end of Covid. Something to be thankful for, and not something to panic over. 

But, as usual the tiny men in charge are over reacting. Uneven shutdowns, allowing infected workers to cross the border, and other reckless behavior of the Prayuth crowd are the real culprits. 

A little less panic on this forum might bode well with the health ( including mental health) of members too. Don't you think?  

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

A little less panic on this forum might bode well with the health ( including mental health) of members too. Don't you think?  

Absolutely. Fear tends to attract the very thing we fear the most in life! Calmness, patience and let's wait and see. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

There will be a bunch of unvaccinated people dying from Covid over the next few months.

I expect that you will post about being wrong here, since that would be the right thing to do.

The only question that I have and I"ll leave it hanging is who is truly going to care?  

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This demonstrates that the onset of Omicron may be a huge blessing, a real gift and the beginning of the end of Covid. Something to be thankful for, and not something to panic over. 

But, as usual the tiny men in charge are over reacting. Uneven shutdowns, allowing infected workers to cross the border, and other reckless behavior of the Prayuth crowd are the real culprits. 

I had people freaking out at me 2 weeks ago when I called this.  How did I call it?  By following data from south africa.  And by the way, today hospitalizations are trending down, not up.  And omicron cases are dropping too.  They called me an anti vaxer.  Ha ha ha.  

I've had three vaccinations.  If I croak from omicron then the young can take my things and money and I'll move on.  Not afraid, but still trying to keep it down for now.  But my life goes on unaffected.  

JP morgan called the pandemic to end in 2022.  I agree, and the end could very well be omicron, which is, honestly, an upper chest cold.  

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

I had people freaking out at me 2 weeks ago when I called this.  How did I call it?  By following data from south africa.  And by the way, today hospitalizations are trending down, not up.  And omicron cases are dropping too.  They called me an anti vaxer.  Ha ha ha.  

I've had three vaccinations.  If I croak from omicron then the young can take my things and money and I'll move on.  Not afraid, but still trying to keep it down for now.  But my life goes on unaffected.  

JP morgan called the pandemic to end in 2022.  I agree, and the end could very well be omicron, which is, honestly, an upper chest cold.  

Alot of panic mongers actually seem disappointed at this thing finally fading out. Wait, wait, let's see! No. We don't have to wait. Nearly all nations are seeing declining deaths, except the US, where you have the highest concentration of Vax conspiracy nutters! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Omicron will spread everywhere, masks or no masks. 

Well here's a little intrigue for ya': I was on the ThaiSmile flight WE46 DEC 11 that brought the 2 Thai travelers from Belgium BKK to Khon Kaen. No symptoms for me after 2 weeks common to the Covid19 ( as referenced in a BaPo article yesterday).

All I remember is that I had an empty seat next to me and all the surrounding passengers were younger than the 47-year old Thai couple and glued to their smartphones.

PCR test for me today just to be clear for any holiday gatherings. Details to follow

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, dsj said:

I read that cases are drastically dropping in South Africa. I read that on Global News in Canada.
Omicron COVID-19 cases drop in South Africa, potentially signaling end of surge.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8467743/omicron-covid-19-cases-drop-south-africa-end-surge/

we don't want to hear positive news

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That is a foolish comment.

They are lining up for the booster because they have decided it is the best thing for their health, and that of family and loved ones. Likely also feeling it is best for the overall pandemic situation..... 

They are following recommendations.

If they die at least it was doing what they loved - their own research.

• Like 1