Pattaya: 100+ foreigners want their money back from Thai bank - "you stole our future" says one

webfact

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You need to learn the background as you are way off here.

If people have common sense they would know that 3,5 % interest in a month is not realistic in these time.. that is also background... and how it was possible is not for me to find out , but I know that you must be realistic 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

If people have common sense they would know that 3,5 % interest in a month is not realistic in these time.. that is also background... and how it was possible is not for me to find out , but I know that you must be realistic 

Here....

https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/hundreds-of-investors-caught-in-massive-kasikorn-bank-branch-fraud-in-pattaya

5 hours ago, bulmercke said:

Can't see how the bank was unaware of what was going on if the depositors were issued bank books with their current balances showing. Surely that meant their funds were in the bank's system. Maybe their accounts were joint accounts with the accused. Assuming they were allowed to keep their bank books in the first place.

He just took the money, the book balances were just numbers on paper.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Banks in India and Nepal give 10% or more. So not that unrealistic.

Seems to be a lot of stories like this. How can they expect farang to deposit 800k for retirement visa?

No one gives you 10% on your savings and if they offer it, its no doubt a scam

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I agree, but if you as a bank employee are selling these things and pocketing the money falsifying bank statements and such. Then you and probably the bank can be held responsible (not sure exactly how the law works in Thailand) But in other countries it works in a way that if the people could have thought this was done by the bank and not you as a private person (by you wearing bank uniform being in the bank when making transactions and using banks paper)  then the bank is liable.

We are not talking about investments gone bad but a Ponzi scheme. 

And yes I agree people should be smarter, but the fact that this happened in a bank mitigates that a bit.

Its not a ponzi scheme, no one got paid out.

Its just theft.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I don't think it's that complicated. As best I recall the original story, these unfortunate people were persuaded to deposit their funds by a bank employee working in his bank and issuing them with passbooks which were not recorded on the bank's database, and he pocketed the funds himself.

any data to suport that or just a wild or very wild guess

Reminds me of Ronald Reagan saying : TRUST but VERIFY .....

just because you get a " copy " of your so called " secret bankbook " with " special Interest added " does not mean the K-Bank system will printout the same amount if you " UPDATE in their machine " / Passbook Update printer. .... 

Edited by kg1947
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I was a senior executive in a bank in NZ for 13 years and if this happened at the bank for which I worked, then the customers would have been paid out, without any hesitation whatsoever.

Without hesitation? Surely you jest, there would have to be some sort of  investigation if for no other reason than to confirm the perp was not working with the cooperation of the victims. 

The transactions took place within the banking chamber, orchestrated by a bank employee, using the banks premises and equipment, and as someone else has mentioned, the bank's logo was on paperwork given to the customer.

I don't think we know with any level of certainty that bank equipment nor official bank documents (other than perhaps letterhead) were used. Do you know differently? If they have passbooks updated on bank equipment, it's a good be the bank will have to pay. 

There should be no way that the bank can get out of paying the customers what they are owed, but having said that, TIT, so who knows.

Indeed

• Like 2

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think it went straight in the thieving bastards pocket , nothing really

to do with the Bank (they will say) he just worked there.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, I also remember the branch manager accepting that it happened, but denying it was anything to do with the bank

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The bank and police have promised a result by 5th January, as clearly reported, so, a long, hard nine days to go.

Or to be exact, 5 working days. Isn't happening!

7, to be precise, if you want to exclude the weekend but include the 5th!

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Seems to be a lot of stories like this".

Nonsense.  It's be interesting to see you quote specifics of there "seeming to be a lot of stories like this".    I've never seen anything similar reported before or since, can you detail just one similar case?

" How can they expect farang to deposit 800k for retirement visa?"

Very easily.  This was a one-off, it is not typical of Thailand's banks.

Expand  

Really? A quick search returned the following:

https://www.samuitimes.com/bank-ripped-off-100000-baht-claims-woman/

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/banks-confirm-refunds-to-recent-cyber-fraud-victims

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/130m-stolen-from-over-10000-thai-bank-accounts-in-just-four-days/

None of those three bore any similarity to the case in this thread which is what I asked the poster about.   In all of those linked cases the customers suffered no losses at all as the bank reimbursed every account involved.  Probably best to read your link suggestions before posting!

9 hours ago, dyertribe said:

Just because they are Caucasian, it doesn't mean that English is their first language ...

There was at least one Briton caught up in this so the chances are that English is his native language.  That could be debatable, of course, if he is from the south east of the country!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

My guess is the bank is trying to say the employee was not acting on behalf of the bank.. 

A Thai caveat if ever there was one.

The bank has not said anything final yet, they and the police have stated that there will be an answer by 5th January so no caveats, Thai or otherwise.

Edited by Liverpool Lou