Why would I want to move my family from a poor country to a rich country?

SiSePuede419

29 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Western welfare states are literally Idiocracy. Imagine a system so stupid it pays the least fit and most dysfunctional in society to breed and prosper. At the very least you should be sterilized if you take welfare payments for any longer than 6 months.

So under your alternative system it would be mandatory to sterilize a 20 year old lad who was born blind and is receiving a full disability pension?

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Ok Gazza is a divorced bricklayer with 2 kids.  His wife ran off with an electrician because it is a better class of tradie.

Gazza earns 72K pa before tax.

So 2 kids 16% child support (assuming kids from same mother).  Then payroll tax circa 25% on 72K.

So lets say 43K after tax.

Gazza cant work overtime because his tax rate would therefore go up and with child support on top he would get about 35cents on every dollar for his overtime.

so... 42.5K less (on your figures) and annual costs:

water 1k 

elect 1k

gas 1k

car 1K

internet and phone 1.5K 

so 37K

Gazza lost his house in divorce and can't afford to buy another because he hasn't got enough for 20% deposit.  Median house price in most cities in Oz is now over 1 million.

So he is renting a modest two bedroom bungalow in the burbs (has to have 2 bedrooms or kids are not allowed to stay with him during his custody allotments)

Rent 500 per week so 25K pa

so 12K

Contractors licence to work as brickie 500

Tradies insurance                                  1k5

Payments on leased ute 12K

So minus 2K a year remaining for Gazza to feed himself, cloth himself, pay for fuel, take care of the kids when he has them.  Buy the kids christmas and birthday presents.  And try to date some fat bushpig....

Am I missing anything....

Oh yeah health insurance or out of pockets if he gets sick....

Fair points there.

Just correct a couple of things.

Tax on $72,000 is 21 per cent or less rather than 25 per cent. He can likely claim a deduction for a significant part if not all of the leased ute and his license and insurance. That would drop his taxable income to lets say $58,000 and the overall tax rate to 18 per cent. He is left with $47,500. $5000 better off in tax and $2200 less in child support. A bit better. 

If he works overtime he should get 49.5 cents in the dollar, 16 cents to his kids and 34.5 to the tax man. That includes medicare levy. Getting half and your kids getting a sixth is a bit better. 

Also you would have had to have spent money on the kids still if married and you don't have to be with your wife.  I do take your point though. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

10 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

What has this got to do with getting a visa for Thailand?

...in fact what has this got to do with anything?

If you like to engage in anything at all in this life, thinkings like this is useful,

questioning your life is useful.

But  if you just hide under a stone, nothing much more will ever happens to you......

So if life has nothing to do with you, why even bother to post...

glegolo

• Confused 1

Guest Isaanlife
6 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

I think you have actually made the OP's point for him. 

Almost everything that you have written about is described as needing MONEY; as if that is the only true measure of quality of life.

Rich Thai families, Penthouses, Ocean front mansions....really nonsensical methods of comparison.

You are actually appear to be saying that you need to be a multi-millionaire in order to enjoy a good quality of life in the USA.

Then it would appear that the OP is right.

Are you suggesting that the multi-millionaires never order takeaway and always pick the food up themselves?

Who is jealous of people that work??!! 

The only people who might be jealous of people who work, would likely be people who have nothing or next to nothing and need money.

Are you ascribing that to that OP? Unpleasant.

Working and earning a living panning for tips? Poverty.

When your salary is all about tips? Poverty.

When you won't lift a finger unless you think a tip is forthcoming? Poverty.

All those experiences leave you with an uncomfortable feeling. It's just that those in the USA have come to accept it as normal. But in fact people in other places think it appalling. In Japan they would simply refuse your tip.

Exporting the impoverishing tipping culture all over the world and expecting people to kiss your derriere when you flash the cash.

Pay someone to park your car, pay someone to open the door, pay someone to bring you your food. Quality food is a privilege. The cra@p they sell as food in the supermarkets is appalling. The restaurants. We both had serious indigestion on returning from the USA. It was fun; but I don't know about actually living there. Wholefoods is one of the only supermarkets that sold food of European quality. Sales taxes to be added. I could go on and on.

So yes, you can have a good quality of life and avoid the riff-raff if you have lots of money. But that is not really quality of life, is it?

Working every hour to make a pot of money is also not indicative of life quality.

As it happens, I do live in a ocean front penthouse....or near enough.

My quality of life is very good. But it's not about the money. It's the fact that I don't need to work at all or stress about anything. All my energy can go into my good health and assisting the people around me.

No need for trips to Aspen(for what reason?). To show off? I live like a 'normal' person. You would not imagine that I had much at all by the way I dress or even the vehicle I utilise.

But it all contributes to the lack of stress in my life. 

So I would argue that many of the very rich people you have described, have a lesser quality of life than I. They need to keep up appearances and to maintain their 'lifestyle'.

I learned how to do everything myself. I don't need slaves or butlers. I have my good health; so I can do it all myself and still have time to help others in not so fortunate a position.

You should be able to have a good quality of life without needing pots of money or begging for tips. So in fact you appear to be making the OP's case. You certainly did not try to explain how healthcare works in the USA and how it contributes to the quality of life of the general population.

Remember that if the general population doesn't enjoy a high quality of life, that will impact on the quality of your life. 

It's not a Thailand vs USA thing. Both have their pros and cons. But unfortunately for you; your points were all based on you needing lots of money to have a good life quality in the USA.

There are probably many rich people around the world who will never experience the quality of life that I attain.

I have reasonably wealthy friends, some from the USA, who spend a LOT more money than I. They do fly off to Aspen and visit the vineyards, live in five star hotels when travelling on business...

But their quality of life does not surpass mine. They have the trappings of wealth; but their quality of life is lesser.

They may jet off somewhere pleasant for a week and then it's back to the grindstone to pay for their million+ dollar apartment in San Diego. 

I jet off somewhere nice for a few months and then...jet off somewhere else. But I spend a LOT less than they do. It's not just about the amount of money. 

I have also holidayed in Monte Carlo/Monaco and Beverly Hills. Nothing interesting there for me. No reason to go back; but pleasant enough. Nothing to do with quality of life; other than having the ability to go to take a look for yourself. Would I want to live there? Not especially. 

They were just places that my partner wanted to see and I was happy to go along for the ride.

I think you missed the OP's point about tipping the delivery guy. Refuse to tip in the USA and expect to never be welcomed there again. 10% and risk being labelled as stingy. 15% absolute minimum...and they keep going perhaps to 30%. What's that about?? Legalised begging in my opinion. Poverty.

Bad vibes don't make for a good quality of life.

In Thailand, the driver/rider is happy that you even helped him out...which should be the norm. Your money; you decide. Not some disgusting method of you being presented with options from choosing anything from a 15% tip upwards. What is that? ???? Sorry my friend, but that really is begging. Poor.

You should not need to have an oceanfront mansion to feel that you have a good quality of life.

In fact I'm sure a few here probably gave up their 'privileged' lives to live on a bungalow on the beach, eating fresh fish, as they felt it was a better quality of life than nose to the grindstone, trying to squeeze money out of every orifice they could find in order to maintain a 'lifestyle'.

I know, because I would meet many of them on my sojourns. They would work hard for six months and then go somewhere to relax and enjoy a good quality of life for six months. They weren't going to the USA to relax; not even Aspen ????

My quality of life is very good. But it's not about the money. It's the fact that I don't need to work at all or stress about anything

People that contradict themselves are not telling the truth. Just like you.

It's not about the money and the fact you don't work? Those are your words!

Do you think life is free? Quality of Life is Free?

Of course it is about the money because it if wasn't, you would be working your <deleted> off like the other 99% around the world trying to buy food and basic necessities.

Quality of life comes with a price. Being able to AFFORD food and basic necessities. That takes MONEY!

What's the difference between the way you live and the people's house show below with no furniture, appliances or running water?

MONEY! Which they have none or no means to make any.

You just finished saying IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY

What exactly did you use to pay for your ocean front penthouse?????????

You contradictions of your own words are evidence you are not telling the truth.

Perhaps you should pre-read your long posts to make sure your story lines up?

photo_2021-12-06_20-06-39.jpg

Guest Isaanlife
8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Don't like liar's huh. Me either.  Please explain your comment "WE" have lots of land....

Lot's meaning 27 rai.

We meaning my wife and I.

Have another remote (not near where we live) 2 rai parcel for sale 

Rural Isaan in the sticks.

1. Our son out in our rice fields.

2. Other part is for sugar cane

3. Small pond

4. More fields

l5.png

DSCF3356.JPG

l1.png

l4.png

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Western welfare states are literally Idiocracy. Imagine a system so stupid it pays the least fit and most dysfunctional in society to breed and prosper. At the very least you should be sterilized if you take welfare payments for any longer than 6 months.

That idea is from 90 years ago. See, or do you not-see? 

11 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

My quality of life is very good. But it's not about the money. It's the fact that I don't need to work at all or stress about anything

People that contradict themselves are not telling the truth. Just like you.

It's not about the money and the fact you don't work? Those are your words!

Do you think life is free? Quality of Life is Free?

Of course it is about the money because it if wasn't, you would be working your <deleted> off like the other 99% around the world trying to buy food and basic necessities.

Quality of life comes with a price. Being able to AFFORD food and basic necessities. That takes MONEY!

What's the difference between the way you live and the people's house show below with no furniture, appliances or running water?

MONEY! Which they have none or no means to make any.

You just finished saying IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY

What exactly did you use to pay for your ocean front penthouse?????????

You contradictions of your own words are evidence you are not telling the truth.

Perhaps you should pre-read your long posts to make sure your story lines up?

photo_2021-12-06_20-06-39.jpg

As the thread Troll; you are really having to work overtime.

Allow me to remind you....

Your post is senseless and suggests you must be lower income?

There's no affordable child care in America. POVERTY.

Complete BS, it all depends where you live. There are more lower income areas in America than higher income areas.

And there's lots of homeless people in America.  POVERTY.

There is a lot of homeless people all over the world and in Thailand as well; so what?

Healthcare is a privilege in America, not a right.  POVERTY

You obviously have no clue how healthcare works in America. Why don't you explain how much insurance you have in Thailand and how much that costs you, with a policy we can verify your statement?

In America, I've ordered food using UberEATS and had to pay a $10 fee, plus I give a $10 tip on top.  Then the drivers sometimes show up in a BMW or Tesla.  POVERTY.

Why not just pick up the food yourself? Too poor for your own car? If the driver is working and earning a living, what concern is it of yours what kind of car they are driving? You support the service and the outrageous tip for them to buy the car.

It sounds like you are bitter and moved to Thailand because you couldn't afford to live in your own country, probably no advanced education and are jealous of people that work and have a better car or earn more than you?

Quality of life is better in Thailand

Do you live in an ocean front mansion in Thailand? I didn't think so.

Do you live in a Penthouse Condo in downtown Bangkok? I didn't think so.

Do you think your quality of life is better than all the rich people have it around the entire world? Of course not.

There a millions of people around the world in every country that have a quality of life you will NEVER EVER reach. Fact!

You have a better quality of life in Thailand because it is all you can afford. 

Instead of being so bitter, accept the truth. 

Anyone with one ounce of common sense would read right through your post.

Quality of life is ALL dependent upon money.

Millionaires have a hell of lot better quality of life than you will ever have; no matter there they live.

You certainly didn't end up in Thailand because your rich, but understand one thing? Whether Thailand or not, rich people will always have a better quality life than you.

Maybe you need to open your eyes to all the expensive cars, houses, beach properties, penthouse suites, etc. in Thailand and compare your quality of life to those folks?

Are you jetting off to Aspen this winter? Monte Carlo? Beverly Hills?

I didn't think so. Your definition of quality of life is ONLY what you can afford.

PS. There are a ton of rich Thai families in the USA. Lots of Thai families with their own businesses, driving a Benz, own their own large properties, have their kids in US Colleges. Better quality of life in the US than you can afford in your country.

Try looking in the mirror before being so bitter.

People reap what they sow from their education and hard work ethic.

If you could afford the USA, you would have a better quality of life

That is not even all of the nonsense that you posted. Embarrassed yet?

Everything you wrote was elitist nonsense. That people with more money automatically had a better quality of life that people with less money.

I made it clear that I spent LESS MONEY than possibly all of my wealthy friends; but almost certainly have a better quality of life.

You tried to align holidaying in Aspen/Beverly Hills/Monaco as if it had some relation to quality of life. That was really another wrong turn for you and now you have egg on your face.

To conclude, I will leave you with two things. One an adage: 

Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Or you will also be like him.
Answer a fool as his folly deserves,
That he not be wise in his own eyes.

The other, an allegory: 

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

do almost everything myself wherever I am.

I would love to do that except I'm frugal and don't want to buy an entire 2nd set of tools to do it.

I agree with you about car maintenance.  Let the grease monkeys do it.

I just bought a used SUV here and the previous owners probably did nothing but change the oil.

Did a complete fluid change, brakes, radiator, transmission, belts, 3 gaskets were leaking, PVC valve, valve adjustment (Honda, 555)...cost $800 here, but would have cost 3 x that in America.

Worth it ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Lot's meaning 27 rai.

We meaning my wife and I.

Have another remote (not near where we live) 2 rai parcel for sale 

Rural Isaan in the sticks.

1. Our son out in our rice fields.

2. Other part is for sugar cane

3. Small pond

4. More fields

Yeah, all our women have that ........ worthless land where nobody in their right mind would want to live.

My woman has 30Rai of worthless land up in Nan (15km to the nearest paved road)

And another 5Rai near LomSak (15Km to the nearest 7-11)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, all our women have that ........ worthless land where nobody in their right mind would want to live.

All fine and dandy if you want to be a farmer, while waiting for the 'if' ever getting a chanote, and selling in the far far away future to the next McD or 7-11 franchise coming to the neighborhood in 2050. 

Alway a great investment when retired.  I'll only be knocking on 100 yrs old instead of 70.   IF EVER, that chanote gets approved.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We aren't land rich but being about 10k outside Surin, 2k from a small town, I can tell you cement roads are in place to lift the price of land, electricity is never too far away, lots of 'self sufficiency' plots with ponds being prepared, lots of plots of land being filled, seems to be a desirable area. I reckon a choice 2  Rai plot could easily be priced around 750k - 1mil or above. It appears the rural plot in their home area is coming back into fashion for migrant workers in the metropolis who are now slipping into the later years of their working lives. Not to mention the locals who can throw up accommodation for 500k 

Accepted of course there is a vast amount of land not as suitable as that near us.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:17 AM, RedArmy said:

Life is about 2 things.

Health & Happiness.

We generally don't have much say in whether we get cancer or some other similar life destroying disease. Happiness usually departs once the medics destroy us to save us ( happened to me ).

However, while I agree with the first being essential for happiness, I'd add money, as it's not much fun having to work in a sweat shop for 9,000 baht a month just to survive.

On 12/31/2021 at 6:49 PM, Hummin said:

Minimum wages is 7,5 USD an hour, and many of those who work, would not survive without tips! 

Perhaps America should see the light and have a minimum wage sufficient to live on without needing tips, which apparently are not voluntary in the USA, so not really "tips", IMO.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps America should see the light and have a minimum wage sufficient to live on without needing tips, which apparently are not voluntary in the USA, so not really "tips", IMO.

Some places in Thailand you pay for service charge to, but my experience when attending such places, there is always some expat who complain, and never want to go back to places like that. 

Either they claim it is a scam or they claim it have to be optional. 

On 12/31/2021 at 7:32 PM, mommysboy said:

America (USA) is not the only rich country.

European countries tend to have a welfare state.  UK, which is by no means the best, has universal health care, unemployment benefit, and free education.  Reasons enough perhaps.  Mind you the weather is lousy a lot of the time.

Perhaps present day welfare state countries like to give benefits to people that never worked/ paid taxes in them before, but in a just world they wouldn't.

I wouldn't even give citizens benefits if they were capable of working and refused to do so.

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Some places in Thailand you pay for service charge to, but my experience when attending such places, there is always some expat who complain, and never want to go back to places like that. 

Service charge is not the same as tipping, but I fail to see why it's not included in the prices.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:37 PM, Adumbration said:

So under your alternative system it would be mandatory to sterilize a 20 year old lad who was born blind and is receiving a full disability pension?

That might be preferable to being left to die as used to happen ( and might still ) in non welfare countries. In a certain country I believe just being born female was a death sentence at a time in history

On 12/31/2021 at 8:28 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

If you completed your education, given up on health and decent health care, do not care much about family members' education, health care, or career prospects, if you blow your nose at "culture", are tired of meaningful conversations and relationships, but are thrilled to be looked at as an 'alien' all the time, are happy to pay 2.5-3 times for decent ("foreign") food, but generally like it 'cheap', then, no, there's absolutely no reason to move from a poor country to a rich one...

No idea what "If you completed your education, given up on health and decent health care" means, but I didn't consider my Thai family members' education, health care, or career prospects my responsibility as they were richer than I, and even had they been poorer I didn't marry them. I ignored the "culture" as much as possible, as it was always used as a way to try and make me give them money without any benefits to myself. I WAS an alien, and never allowed to forget it when I had to go to the immigration office 4 times a year. Foreign food in LOS was generally the same over processed, full of chemicals <deleted> that I live on in the west, and I generally ate the same food as Thais do at the same price as they.

On 12/31/2021 at 5:55 PM, Isaanlife said:

How do you explain to dumb Americans that it's not all about wages and the quality of life is better in a country like Thailand?

Your claim to quality of life in Thailand being better has been FACTUAL proven to be incorrect.

Switzerland is #1, Australia is #5, The US is rated 17th and Thailand 69th.

According to the facts, there are 68 other countries with a higher quality of life, as Thailand ranks #69.

Quantified, factual data, that any competent engineer should understand and not argue with or come up with silly opinions

Facts are Facts, your misleading opinion doesn't really matter

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp  2021 Mid Year

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

As a farang I had a far, far higher quality of life in LOS than in any other country I lived in. Switzerland may have a better quality of life in some people's opinion, but I'd never ever want to live there ( and I have been there ).

"Facts are Facts, your misleading opinion doesn't really matter"

Right back at you.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Silly me! I thought concrete was used to make the roads better to use, rather than to raise land prices.

Live and learn, what

Yep we all live and learn, some later than others, good access roads increase the value of roadside plots 

My wife had extensive hotel and restaurant experience, and gathered a decent command of English by herself, when I met her working in BKK. But even at that time, several years before Covid, tourism had already been dropping off. So she then traveled with me throughout my teaching jobs in Issan, where she picked up odd jobs.

Then I landed a job in BKK, so we opened a stall in a food market. She raked in 150k baht over three months. She was elated. But when the Covid cases spiked this was brought to an end. One of those bodies in the street you saw in the news wasn't far from that market. Then I got tired of that disgustingly arrogant private school, and we both got tired of the BKK traffic and commutes, so now we're with the in-laws in Issan.

Less income, but also much less stress, and no BKK expenses. Our food stall in the market near our village is substantially less lucrative. A 500 baht take is a good day. Then during this harvest time she's expected to be out there with the fam, cutting the rice and sugar, as they can't take the hit in profit hiring more hands.

One of the Japanese students I teach online said this to me, "What's your wife doing cutting rice if she can speak English?" He really hit the nail on the head. Thus, our plans are about 2 more years of this LOS adventure, then back to my mom in the Midwestern US.

There I've been seeing numerous job postings for hospitality or retail, where she'd really shine. I'm real lucky to have found one that likes to work. She'd start at $15/hr, rather than the $15/day she's getting now, if she's lucky. And as a qualified ESL teacher, I'd get about $5k/month rather than the $2k here. Yes, higher costs in the US, which are mitigated by living in the Midwest rather than the coasts, and having a family home to go back to. Also benefits such as social security, retirement, and my own property, which I wouldn't get here.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 6:10 AM, Isaanlife said:

Your post is senseless and suggests you must be lower income?

There's no affordable child care in America. POVERTY.

Complete BS, it all depends where you live. There are more lower income areas in America than higher income areas.

And there's lots of homeless people in America.  POVERTY.

There is a lot of homeless people all over the world and in Thailand as well; so what?

Healthcare is a privilege in America, not a right.  POVERTY

You obviously have no clue how healthcare works in America. Why don't you explain how much insurance you have in Thailand and how much that costs you, with a policy we can verify your statement?

In America, I've ordered food using UberEATS and had to pay a $10 fee, plus I give a $10 tip on top.  Then the drivers sometimes show up in a BMW or Tesla.  POVERTY.

Why not just pick up the food yourself? Too poor for your own car? If the driver is working and earning a living, what concern is it of yours what kind of car they are driving? You support the service and the outrageous tip for them to buy the car.

It sounds like you are bitter and moved to Thailand because you couldn't afford to live in your own country, probably no advanced education and are jealous of people that work and have a better car or earn more than you?

Quality of life is better in Thailand

Do you live in an ocean front mansion in Thailand? I didn't think so.

Do you live in a Penthouse Condo in downtown Bangkok? I didn't think so.

Do you think your quality of life is better than all the rich people have it around the entire world? Of course not.

There a millions of people around the world in every country that have a quality of life you will NEVER EVER reach. Fact!

You have a better quality of life in Thailand because it is all you can afford. 

Instead of being so bitter, accept the truth. 

Anyone with one ounce of common sense would read right through your post.

Quality of life is ALL dependent upon money.

Millionaires have a hell of lot better quality of life than you will ever have; no matter there they live.

You certainly didn't end up in Thailand because your rich, but understand one thing? Whether Thailand or not, rich people will always have a better quality life than you.

Maybe you need to open your eyes to all the expensive cars, houses, beach properties, penthouse suites, etc. in Thailand and compare your quality of life to those folks?

Are you jetting off to Aspen this winter? Monte Carlo? Beverly Hills?

I didn't think so. Your definition of quality of life is ONLY what you can afford.

PS. There are a ton of rich Thai families in the USA. Lots of Thai families with their own businesses, driving a Benz, own their own large properties, have their kids in US Colleges. Better quality of life in the US than you can afford in your country.

Try looking in the mirror before being so bitter.

People reap what they sow from their education and hard work ethic.

If you could afford the USA, you would have a better quality of life. At least people would speak your own language and you could read the street signs!

Do you need a Snickers bar or something?

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Problem here is that many of the places that do include service charge in the bill do not pass it on, in full or in part, to the staff.  Especially if they are Burmese.  So on many occasions it is a scam. Even where staff do receive a monthly service charge amount on top of their salary, that amount is often fixed, for example, an extra 2500 baht on top of their salary.  If the service charge is fixed then obviously there is plenty of opportunity for skimming.  The contrary argument of course is that a fixed service charge allowance is like a minimum wage guarantee...but would you trust the accounting of your Sino Thai business owners?

Edited by Adumbration