Omicron Wave Expected to be Less Severe Than Delta

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, sungod said:

Actually quite pleased I got it over and done with ????

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232698/omicron-largely-evades-immunity-from-past/

Your 5 times more likely to be reinfected with omicron than delta.

It's a respiratory virus that you can catch multiple times a year.

The scientific ignorance on this forum is staggering, not surprising though seeing whose making the posts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

15 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232698/omicron-largely-evades-immunity-from-past/

Your 5 times more likely to be reinfected with omicron than delta.

It's a respiratory virus that you can catch multiple times a year.

The scientific ignorance on this forum is staggering, not surprising though seeing whose making the posts.

Imperial college?   Not sure this is a trustworthy source of information.    Take this example from 17 December 2021:

"His team at Imperial College London found that even in a best case scenario, there could be roughly 3,000 daily Omicron deaths at the peak in January without further curbs — much higher than the previous record of 1,800 during the second wave."

Yes, that is 3,000 deaths a day in the UK from Omicron in the best case scenario!  It has averaged less than 100 with Omicron despite peaking at 190,000 infections in a day.  

I wouldn't take anything they say seriously.   They are hopelessly wrong every single time.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James105 said:

Imperial college?   Not sure this is a trustworthy source of information.    Take this example from 17 December 2021:

"His team at Imperial College London found that even in a best case scenario, there could be roughly 3,000 daily Omicron deaths at the peak in January without further curbs — much higher than the previous record of 1,800 during the second wave."

Yes, that is 3,000 deaths a day in the UK from Omicron in the best case scenario!  It has averaged less than 100 with Omicron despite peaking at 190,000 infections in a day.  

I wouldn't take anything they say seriously.   They are hopelessly wrong every single time.  

Is that where that guy who ignores his own advice works? You know, the one who thought it more important to get his leg over?

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

I do, when you look at their most up to date reports that moves with the science and evidence at the time.

From Imperial College London in late Dec

Covid-19: Omicron less severe than Delta variant, UK studies find

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I do, when you look at their most up to date reports that moves with the science and evidence at the time.

From Imperial College London in late Dec

Covid-19: Omicron less severe than Delta variant, UK studies find

Their scenarios/predictions have bounced the UK Government into shutting peoples businesses down, closing schools and are indirectly responsible for much of the damage done to the UK economy and deaths related to lockdowns (undiagnosed cancer etc).  They are dangerous and irresponsible.  If England had locked down in December Imperial College would now be claiming that England did not suffer so many deaths because of the lockdown.   I don't think they should get a free pass as people in power have listened to them and caused immense harm based on the lockdowns implemented on their bad advice and exceptionally poor modelling. 

4 minutes ago, James105 said:

Their scenarios/predictions have bounced the UK Government into shutting peoples businesses down, closing schools and are indirectly responsible for much of the damage done to the UK economy and deaths related to lockdowns (undiagnosed cancer etc).  They are dangerous and irresponsible.  If England had locked down in December Imperial College would now be claiming that England did not suffer so many deaths because of the lockdown.   I don't think they should get a free pass as people in power have listened to them and caused immense harm based on the lockdowns implemented on their bad advice and exceptionally poor modelling. 

Thankfully for Imperial College the UK finally acted to lockdown in the initial pandemic, without that the cost to lives would have been far greater, alongside that it implemented the furlough scheme, however thats nothing to do with its latest report on Omicron which is what this thread is about and their latest study on it.

This is backed up by studies in the UK which show that although omnicron is much more infectious it is also much less dangerous. Hospitalisations remain the same despite a steep rise in infections. Symptoms used to last for two weeks now only last for a couple of days. Of those hospitalised two thirds are inadequately vaccinated others are actually admitted for other reasons but test positive on admission. the one single death of a 77 year old man with omnicron was because he was not vaccinated and had other health issues.

• Like 1

"..................director of the Veterinary Health Innovation and Management Research Group unit of the National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology ...." 

vet·er·i·nar·y adjective

relating to the diseases, injuries, and treatment of animals.

So Thailand has suddenly realised that the current regime and their associated regulations/restrictions isn't working, so now they need the expertise of someone used to dealing with animals?

P.S. I bet his title looks impressive on a job application form (if there's room!)

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

However hospitalizations were not the same at all, they've been rising fast although in London it seems to have slowed right down and reaching its peak. Those admitted for incidental covid, ie admitted for a broken leg but also found to have Omicron are running at about 30%, the rest are there for Omicron symptoms.

London had its peak just before Christmas I was reading, both deaths and hospitalizations continue to fall. Its in a sub story on this page

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10366875/Leading-Oxford-vaccine-expert-warns-giving-regular-boosters-not-sustainable.html

There is also another interesting read on that page;

'Are we on the brink of OVER-vaccinating in the fight against Covid?'

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree the UK studies/stats confirm as you say, much less dangerous in terms of outcomes for patients. 

However hospitalizations were not the same at all, they've been rising fast although in London it seems to have slowed right down and reaching its peak. Those admitted for incidental covid, ie admitted for a broken leg but also found to have Omicron are running at about 30%, the rest are there for Omicron symptoms.

Omicron deaths did not stay at that announced figure of 1, its a daily occurrence although again far lower numbers and the big plus is that ICU numbers are flatlining, they have not risen with the hospitalization admissions. So yes all positive news. Aside form the burden on health care workers which is enormous!

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

London had its peak just before Christmas I was reading, both deaths and hospitalizations continue to fall. Its in a sub story on this page

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10366875/Leading-Oxford-vaccine-expert-warns-giving-regular-boosters-not-sustainable.html

Good points, informed and reasoned debate

23 hours ago, James105 said:

South Africa was 25% vaccinated and didn’t have a problem with this variant so why would 70% vaccinated Thailand have a problem?   People with no vaccines didn’t have an issue there so unless the Chinese vaccines amplify the severity of this variant why on earth would it be an issue here? 

Why do so many people ignore the science and data from South Africa so they can work themselves into a fear frenzy with this?  

I don't think it's as simple as that. South Africa has a lower average age than the UK and I think that's the case with Thailand as well. Another thing to look out for is the timing in relation to the last spike in infections. If there's just been a spike then there will be more resistance to the infection whereas that resistance will  have diminished over time if the last spike was not so recent. Obviously the type of vaccine is important as well and Thailand and the UK where I am have used different ones. I'm not sure about South Africa. You also need to look at what other measures they have taken. Are there restrictions on movement or gatherings that will have had an affect?

14 minutes ago, sungod said:

London seems to have reached its peak as of 3rd Jan according to published statistics by ONS and confirmed by the CEO of NHS trusts on the 3rd Jan:

"London covid hospitalisation data remains very important as they went into this omicron peak first and will therefore emerge first. Last two days data more encouraging. Daily hospitalisations last week were growing at a very concerning rate – 9%, 15% and 9% 27, 28, 29 Dec

But growth rate over last few days dropped significantly. Number of patients with covid in London hospitals grew by 5% on both 30 and 31 Dec and then 1% on 1 Jan and 2% on 2 Jan. IF (a very big if) this much lower growth rate continues over next few days, growing optimism"

Agree with the other related story, continued boosters in the UK need evidence first before a fourth shot.

Edited by Bkk Brian

On 1/3/2022 at 5:12 PM, snoop1130 said:

The ministry may also consider changing the status of COVID-19 from “pandemic” to “endemic” if rates of severe cases and fatalities see a significant decline. Currently, the fatality rate for Omicron COVID-19 infections remains higher than that of avian flu, at 0.7% versus 0.01%, respectively.

It's way too early to do that.  Masks (double masks even better), proper social distancing, frequent hand washing and alcohol sanitation as well as closure of risky venues like night entertainment, massage, pubs, clubs, temples and other place where large numbers of people congregate - malls too.  And lockdowns - especially with the highly, highly transmissible Omicron variant laying siege to the country soon.  It's coming!  Researchers found that Omicron SARS-CoV-2 infects and multiplies 70 times faster than the Delta variant and original SARS-CoV-2 in human bronchus. (https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20211215-omicron-sars-cov-2-infection).
Honestly - the borders should be shut as well as all highways interconnecting provinces and big cities should be locked down before this pandemic takes a tragic human toll on the good citizens of Thailand who 'do the right thing' by getting shots, boosters, and just staying home to keep the rest of us safe!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, connda said:

It's way too early to do that.  Masks (double masks even better), proper social distancing, frequent hand washing and alcohol sanitation as well as closure of risky venues like night entertainment, massage, pubs, clubs, temples and other place where large numbers of people congregate - malls too.  And lockdowns - especially with the highly, highly transmissible Omicron variant laying siege to the country soon.  It's coming!  Researchers found that Omicron SARS-CoV-2 infects and multiplies 70 times faster than the Delta variant and original SARS-CoV-2 in human bronchus. (https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20211215-omicron-sars-cov-2-infection).
Honestly - the borders should be shut as well as all highways interconnecting provinces and big cities should be locked down before this pandemic takes a tragic human toll on the good citizens of Thailand who 'do the right thing' by getting shots, boosters, and just staying home to keep the rest of us safe!

I'm guessing you are a financially secure senior citizen?

Edit, you are winding us up ????

Edited by sungod

NEW: first thread of 2022 is an Omicron situation update, starting with a detailed look at UK hospitals, before going international. Let’s start with severity, and the most important chart: Despite steep rises in cases and patients, the number on ventilators has barely risen.

FINXeoeXMAYjI69.jpg.97f20758e68460ee4d74d5cff10bef87.jpg

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1478339769646166019

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 5:16 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Depends how you define aggressive. Yes, it is reported to be 70% more transmissible (easier to catch), so aggressive. But it is far milder than previous strains, so not nearly as aggressive. Easier to catch, easier to overcome.

Yep! Now saying because of that could lead to herd immunity. Got my fingers crossed I don't die before that. 555

On 1/4/2022 at 6:51 AM, Morpheus42 said:

I actually know now three people who died from the vaccine and one young mother who gave a stillbirth two days after her shot.

Sure, now you can again say there is no evidence of a connection between the deaths and the vaccinations. But it would be a very weird coincidence, as nothing of that happened to unvaxxed people I know. And two of the three deaths are from blood clotting related issues. Two heart attacks due to blood clots, one was undetermined.

By the way, there was NO reporting of these cases to any vaccine side effect database.

So how should anyone anyway determine if there is a connection between the deaths and the vaccinations? It is difficult. And how you determine that on the other hand people are dying from COVID, just because they got a positive test?

I just dislike that double-standard in observing things and I think it is a main reason for the different POVs we got.

And the most severe side-effect of all this COVID thing is in its name already, the CertificateOfVaccinationID. That people getting digitalized, getting a QR-Code and need them soon to check in and check out everywhere. Being marked and tracked like a pet.

This paired together with the CBDCs coming and we are on the straight way into a dystopian digital nightmare of full governmental control.

No matter how anyone thinks about vaccination itself, I respect your opinion and if you want to get vaccinated please go ahead, but I think we should all agree on the point that we should not let the people in power use the situation to put all of us into a digital prison from where we cannot escape anymore, as soon as it is implemented.

As soon as cash is gone and CBDCs are standard, the central banks have the total control over you. If they dislike what you do, they can just temporarily disable your CBDC-account until you obey again.
So lets stop bitching around and hating each other, and lets start standing together to prevent this dystopian nightmare with digital vaccination passports, QR codes and CBDCs from getting reality. It is not too late and we the people got the true power.

How do you know the deaths weren't reported?

Blood clots are common so not just caused by vaccines. The way they can be connected is if there is a correlation between the number of people being vaccinated and the number of people experiencing say blood clots. People suffering with covid19 are also at a higher risk of blood clots and separating them from vaccine induced blood clots is hard. Just because someone is vaccinated doesn't mean they don't have covid19. 

Instead of just concentrating on possible side effects you need to have a more balanced view by also looking at how vaccines are doing a fantastic job at saving lives and reducing hospitalisation. Millions of lives have been saved and the ones most at risk now are the unvaccinated. They are the ones clogging up hospitals despite being in a minority. Of course they don't seem bothered that they might stop other people getting treatment for things like cancer. My brother died from cancer that was not treated in time last year. I am not blaming antivaxxers in any way as the rollout was still in progress. However if it happened now I may have a different view. 

I am all for vaccine passports when needed but if Omicron is so prevalent there should be enough herd immunity to make them unnecessary for a while. 

You are delusional if you think governments need QR codes to track you. Mobile phones, Internet usage, credit cards, ANPR cameras etc can do that job far better. This kind of thing has been said for many years and still nothing has happened. If I  lived in China then I  would be worried but as we all know there is nothing the Chinese can do to stop the ccp controlling its citizens. Use your vote wisely it is our best defense. 

• Like 1