Pattaya driver flees after crashing his pickup truck into a motorbike sidecar, one person dead, one young girl seriously injured

snoop1130

20 hours ago, fulhamster said:

The final sentence is the key to all this.

How many drivers have insurance at all (apart from the mandatory govt 100 bt one)

rather silly statement to make, considering every single accident ends up with cars being left in the middle of the road, waiting for insurance to arrive

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Exactly, as far as I am concerned the law should assume that any driver, fleeing the scene of an accident he caused, was driving under the influence. 

Only it can not be proven, Blood test may show presence of alcohol on previous days but does not show show the amount and at what times. Perhaps if running away had a criminal charge to it, people will think twice 

23 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why? She was in/on a homemade vehicle that wasn't fit for its roll. She shouldn't have been out on it.

Plus if the car driver was drunk then he too shouldn't have been driving.

Oh i see, so if i walk on the road which is not fit for walking i am allowed to be mowed down? and after being mowed down, driver who did it should be given an applause?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you have a nation that does not penalize people for fleeing from the scene of a crime, this will happen more often than not. 

One is at a loss for words. Real men take responsibility for their actions, no matter how horrific, or difficult the outcome. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rudi49jr said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Placing their family in danger knowingly is even worse - Obviously not in all, but in many cases precautions can be taken. 

In this case - ensuring lights on the Samlor. In other cases ensuring the rear lights on the motorcycle are working. In other cases not riding at 30kmh down the centre of the road while the rest of the traffic is flowing at 60kmh. In other cases stopping at a junction rather than looking when its too late etc etc.... 

In my case it's ensuring the car is road worthy whenever going on a long trip... i.e. checking the tyre pressures regularly and before every long journey. It's ensuring my son is in his car seat, belted up properly each and every journey. 

There are always ‘some’ precautions we can take to reduce our risk no matter what socio-economic demographic we originate. 

Expand  

Obviously you have never been in a situation where you didn’t have two baht to rub together and had some hard choices to make.

If you are suggesting that this family were so poor they could not afford to place a light on their samlor I would argue you are very likely incorrect.

The reality is, like many many other families in Thailand, that they do not place a light on the back because they haven’t thought about it...  wiring in a light to the rear of a Samlor is not likely to cost more than 50 baht. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, actonion said:

What insurance ...... Thais i know dont have insurance,  or money to fix  any damage they may do

Many of the same Thai’s can afford their bottle of ‘Lao Khao’...  but cannot afford to replace the bulb on their motorcycle ?.... 

Was this lady so very very poor that she could not afford the cost of a light on the rear of her Samlor (about 50 baht) ????

Very unlikely in all cases....  they have simple chosen not to prioritise their own safety or have simply not thought about it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

What could possibly be a "lawful" reason to flee?

You are injured and someone offers to take you to a hospital for one. Maybe you are a lone female and the other driver becomes so aggressive that you fear for your safety. Obviously you would have to prove these as a defense

On 1/4/2022 at 7:33 AM, Asquith Production said:

Fleeing from an accident without a lawful reason should have a mandatory prison sentence.

Not so easy to do,the people that make these kind of laws would have to word it in

a way that this law is only for poor people.

Because you never know,do you?

16 minutes ago, jvs said:

The worst time of day is when it is nearly dark,at the moment just after six.

I asked a driver once why he did not turn on his lights when he came to pick up a parcel,

The answer was simple,"i can still see"

And that highlights the utter stupidity often at play......  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

fleeing the scene of an accident he caused

No proof that 'he' caused the accident. Yeah 'he' done a runner and 'he' may well have been driving DUI but no blame has yet been put on either driver in this case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BestB said:

rather silly statement to make, considering every single accident ends up with cars being left in the middle of the road, waiting for insurance to arrive

The last 2 vehicles that I have had hit me from behind (while I was stationary) had no insurance.

When we were about to call our insurance and the police, both drivers decided to pay for the (admittedly minor) damage as they didn't want the police checking if they had a licence

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He said lawful.......if leaving the scene of a accident is unlawful, that precludes going to get assistance. 

I would say that leaving the scene of an accident to obtain assistance to be legal. No proof that he was drunk prior to leaving.

Can you leave the scene of an accident and come back?

But if you leave the scene of an accident, that technically is a hit and run. So, even if you come back, you still technically have been involved in a hit and run accident and you could be charged with a crime. However, if you have a reason for leaving the scene, or if not much time passed, you may be okay.

For those that say that the driver of the car that did a runner, we still do not know if it was male or female, would be still criticized even if they hadn't gone to get assistance. Out in the sticks the next car passing could be hours away. A decision has to be made as there were people injured.  

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Those side cars are a nu-since and should never be allowed on the roads. No civilized country would permit the use of these contraptions. They are a death trap for anyone that rides them and therefore any driver that hits them should not be responsible.

Pattaya-Thailand-50A_8635.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:15 AM, Cake Monster said:

But all to often happens in Thailand

Wonder if leaving the scene judged more or less harshly than drunk driving, or driving "high" on drug.

Must be, if so many opt for a runner...

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and I was told never to leave the scene of an accident. 

Leave or stay, the woman died. A no win situation to try and save the woman's life or sit and watch her slowly die by staying put. Either way your on a loser. 

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Leave or stay, the woman died. A no win situation to try and save the woman's life or sit and watch her slowly die by staying put. Either way your on a loser. 

Again you presume.

If he had not run away, he could have called for assistance, maybe even performed first aid..... legging it down the railway tracks did not help  anyone other than himself. You seem to support this coward's actions. 

• Thanks 1