Omicron set to delay reopening of bars and pubs

webfact

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thailand  has excelled the USA in almost every aspect of its covid protocols. The USA has failed in so many ways its sad

The US has suffered severely from COVID.  So your point is well taken but I can not agree with it.  The US has certainly exceeded Thailand in testing, vaccine development, vaccine deployment and variety of therapeutic treatments.  They also have donated vaccines to other countries unlike Thailand.  Oh yes, the US economy has not crashed either.  So for these and other reasons I think your statement is not correct.  I trust the US numbers and medical technology much more than what is filtered here in Thailand.

23 minutes ago, LALes said:

All the bars in Pattaya and Jomtien have been open for e few weeks now.  Does the Govt know this?  Saying that the bars will remain closed would indicate that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.  Not a new concept here.

The govt knows how many restaurant licences have been issued.

5 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

The US has suffered severely from COVID.  So your point is well taken but I can not agree with it.  The US has certainly exceeded Thailand in testing, vaccine development, vaccine deployment and variety of therapeutic treatments.  They also have donated vaccines to other countries unlike Thailand.  Oh yes, the US economy has not crashed either.  So for these and other reasons I think your statement is not correct.  I trust the US numbers and medical technology much more than what is filtered here in Thailand.

It's a mixed bag in the U.S. You can't discount that the U.S. has been the hardest hit of any other country in the world! Why? Insane, divisive politics where basic things like mask wearing and vaccinations have become political footballs. Seriously, health ministers might suffer some normal criticism in Thailand but in the U.S. a great man of public service and science like Fauci receives constant death threats. 

On the vaccination front, Thailand is not a rich country. You would expect rich countries to be successful in widely vaccinating quickly but Thailand and most countries in the world are NOT playing on any kind of level playing field! Looking at the reality, the Thailand vaccination program has been very good. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Piles Varient with ingrown Toenail variant will be next and Gov Control will see Anutin banning the Easter Bunny on the borders of Myanmar … All starving Thais must do so quietly but must sign a document to say how fantastic the Gov has handled the plumdemic better than every country in the world “;0)

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

If in Thailand and you’ve got half a brain this is the logical course of action. Myriad Thais would do the same. The alternative doesn’t bear thinking about. As long as one isolates, what’s the big deal?

while I understand where your coming from,   I told my Thai friends about this tonight,   and they went ballistic,  in fact the friendship has been soured because of this decision ....

Thai's see it this way ...

farang infected with Covid19 in condo on floor 7, room 722 ....

old lady or young thai boy in room 727 gets infected and dies.    But farang won't say nothing because of the hospital bill and 10 days quarantine.

In other words,    you are selfish and only think about yourself,  you don't care about anyone else in the building and the fact transmission is simple and other could die because of your arrogance.  

what is your opinion  ??

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

while I understand where your coming from,   I told my Thai friends about this tonight,   and they went ballistic,  in fact the friendship has been soured because of this decision ....

Thai's see it this way ...

farang infected with Covid19 in condo on floor 7, room 722 ....

old lady or young thai boy in room 727 gets infected and dies.    But farang won't say nothing because of the hospital bill and 10 days quarantine.

In other words,    you are selfish and only think about yourself,  you don't care about anyone else in the building and the fact transmission is simple and other could die because of your arrogance.  

what is your opinion  ??

Scapegoating foreigners is easy to do. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Scapegoating foreigners is easy to do. 

not really a scapegoat thing .... it's simple ethical behaviour.   The person is secretly hiding a disease or virus they know full and well they have contracted and then accidently pass it on to another tenant a few doors down.   

it is questionable,  and the Thai's who were berserk at me when I mentioned this do have some grounds and justification.   

nothing to do with scapegoats.  imo

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

not really a scapegoat thing .... it's simple ethical behaviour.   The person is secretly hiding a disease or virus they know full and well they have contracted and then accidently pass it on to another tenant a few doors down.   

it is questionable,  and the Thai's who were berserk at me when I mentioned this do have some grounds and justification.   

nothing to do with scapegoats.  imo

I'm skeptical. Omicron has MOSTLY low or no symptoms. Most of the world is dealing with this with at home isolation.  A huge portion of those infected would never feel a need to even seek testing. There has been a clear trend in Thailand to blame foreigners for introduction of all phases of this virus. It's convenient xenophobia. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Be realistic. EVERYTHING is a cost-benefit analysis.

For example, we could mandate that any vehicle be limited to 5kph. If we did, it is unlikely anybody would die in road accidents. Worldwide that might save a million people a year and millions more serious injuries. We don't do that, however, because it would make road travel or goods delivery almost impossible.

For Covid, there are things that have no or minimal cost, such as mask wearing, temp checks, even vaccines (no, they do not cause autism). I might prefer not to wear a mask, and certainly enjoy seeing people's faces (women, at least), but I accept the current requirement. I appreciate that it saves lives, and since the cost to me is next to nothing, I am happy to follow the rules.

Where it becomes more difficult is determining just how open society should be to find the middle ground between virus spread and economic need. That is an almost impossible calculus, and no matter what is decided, a good many people are not going to be happy. Add to this the fact that this is the first worldwide pandemic in the modern era, so there is no blueprint. It's learn as we go. Yes, there are some inconsistencies and things that seem, or are, not logical, but again, the right answer is not easy to determine. The practice so far, at least in most places, has been to impose mitigation measures aimed at not over-stressing the healthcare system. That would seem the right move, but occasionally requirements are imposed in a hamfisted way.

All of our patience is running thin after 2 years, but we still need to make wise decisions that consider the cost-benefit of everything we do.

Well said!

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There's that toxic divisiveness again.

I don,t think there is anything wrong with expressing my opinion. Has he got more rights to express his opinion than I have?

If you put a different opinion equal to hostility / toxic than you might have a misunderstanding somewhere?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

I'm skeptical. Omicron has MOSTLY low or no symptoms. Most of the world is dealing with this with at home isolation. There has been a clear trend in Thailand to blame foreigners for introduction of all phases of this virus. It's convenient xenophobia. 

Well, you have look at the factors.  The cases were low until the sandbox and mongers started  to return.   Pattaya, Chonburi,  where many if not most mongers are,  is steadily  rising with cases.

3 minutes ago, Paiman said:

I don,t think there is anything wrong with expressing my opinion. Has he got more rights to express his opinion than I have?

If you put a different opinion equal to hostility / toxic than you might have a misunderstanding somewhere?

Death threats aren't opinions. If you don't acknowledge that toxic political divisiveness as well as misinformation about vaccines is a huge problem in the U.S. that literally kills people, we have nothing to discuss. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Well, you have look at the factors.  The cases were low until the sandbox and mongers started  to return.   Pattaya, Chonburi,  where many if not most mongers are,  is steadily  rising with cases.

I'm not going to dignify that with a response.

There was no way for Thailand to keep Omicron out. Period.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm skeptical. Omicron has MOSTLY low or no symptoms. Most of the world is dealing with this with at home isolation.

Absolutely agree with that one.

The population is more afraid of the reaction of the government than of the Virus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not going to dignify that with a response.

There was no way for Thailand to keep Omicron out. Period.

Agreed!  But opening a flood gate after managing it so well for so long seems to be a bad choice.  I guess everyone will once again see things close up soon.