Can you compartmentalize your brain?

1FinickyOne

On 1/4/2022 at 5:12 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

If you have a big problem in one sphere of your life, can you keep it separate from the rest of your life? 

I think mostly I can.

I learned something about problem solving a long time ago. I am sure there is a name for this procedure:

- What is the problem?

- Is it important?

- Can it be solved? If not, then there is nothing to think about.

- If it can be solved: What can I do? 

- Do it!

I think the most distracting thoughts are about things where we see a problem somewhere and we have not really defined the problem. What is the problem? Like: It's cold and dark outside. No that is likely not the problem. The problem might be that I feel uncomfortable because it is cold and dark. It's important to really define that problem.

And if we know the problem and there is no solution then we should accept that we could think about that for weeks or month but there is no solution. If we accept that then we can still see that there is a problem, but we can leave it alone.

And coming back to your question: We can separate things a lot better if we know what to separate and if we know if there is a way to make it better.

• Like 1

Compartmentalise your brain?

Lobotomy is not something for which self-medication is recommended, but I would be interested to know how it went.

Edit: Did you work with a mirror, or purely by sense of touch?  You would want to do some checking to make sure you didn’t accidentally anesthatise yourself half-way through. 
Thaivisa - your first stop for helpful hints

Edited by StreetCowboy