Kitchen working surface height?

OneMoreFarang

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Gf since many years. I don't see any advantage of (ever) marrying. And she accepts that - not that it would make much sense to complain.

And just in case if I ever change gf A to gf B: I love cute girls. I would be surprised if I even look for one who is taller than 160cm.

A) It is very safe also to buy condo before marriage .... ( Dutch merchants spirit ???? )

B) 160cm .... a good maximum  size to stay safe .... for not getting one with big hands or feet ....????

Edited by david555

15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

This is what I told someone 12 years ago. I didn't get any feedback or complaints:

image.png.c434231240060dc421a03b4add30dfb8.png

The standard height for kitchen counter is 87 cm.
The standard depth for kitchen counter is 59 cm.
The cupboard on the wall must be 44 cm above the counter.
The wall cupboard is 30 cm deep (same as my house).
The wall cupboard is 72 cm high.

https://www.diydata.com/materials/kitchen_units/kitchen_units.php

15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

This is what I told someone 12 years ago. I didn't get any feedback or complaints:

image.png.c434231240060dc421a03b4add30dfb8.png

The standard height for kitchen counter is 87 cm.
The standard depth for kitchen counter is 59 cm.
The cupboard on the wall must be 44 cm above the counter.
The wall cupboard is 30 cm deep (same as my house).
The wall cupboard is 72 cm high.

https://www.diydata.com/materials/kitchen_units/kitchen_units.php

Thats 870mm plus the bench top which is usually around 25-30mm so as lots of posts here 90cm or 900mm is fairly standard.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But maybe 20% of the time I also do some cooking.

There lies your answer. If she is doing 80% of the cooking and washing up, do what suits her. As I said earlier YOU can get used to working on a bench lower than you prefer.

I've just got the tape measure out and mine are 95cm and 98cm. I asked for 1 metre but it looks like I was short changed. At 6 foot 3, the surfaces in our previous place were way too low for me and was not good for my back.

I'll admit the surfaces are too high for the rest of the family who stand on a small stool. At first I thought it would be good for them, as the in-laws don't have the best eye sight so I thought they'd be able to see better. Now I end up kicking their stool every time I'm in the kitchen so it looks like karma is catching up with my decision to think about my self for once. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Thats 870mm plus the bench top which is usually around 25-30mm so as lots of posts here 90cm or 900mm is fairly standard.

Yes, the marble slab around the sink and work area is about 2cm thick so the height overall is about 92 cm.  It feels about right, but the various tables I've added in the kitchen are much lower - about 85 cm, and are too low for comfort, but they were bought here.

Personally I am only 5.8 ( maybe 5.6 now with the age) 

I never understood why the counters were so low, prompting back pain, and I decided, in a new condo, to rise the height.

Wrong decision: it is definitely not comfortable and did not do the trick ( although no more back pain due to bending on the counter)

Adjust it to the height of your partner especially because she is the one to do the work from what I understood

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

You will only get 700, 900 or 1100.

3,4, or 5 200mm bricks plus 4 inch slab on top.  I am currently building kitchen and going for 1100.

You are not limited by AAC block sizes, the can be cut you know, nor are you limited to building with concrete. So incorrect and incorrect.

When I first moved to TH in 2009-2010 we were using the cabinet (move around style) kitchen units and I didn’t really think about the height difference, I doubt if I ever noticed it,, until 5 years later when we were building our first house, I was lucky enough to get home from work whilst the builders were building the walls of the house and only  figured it out about the lower worktop height when I noticed how low the window looked at a wall where the units were to be built, took measure of average unit size here and just got them to add another brick in height to all the windows in the house as too close between window sill and worktop height

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are not limited by AAC block sizes, the can be cut you know, nor are you limited to building with concrete. So incorrect and incorrect.

Everyone is limited by both time and money.  Some people more than others.  I am going with 1100.  No fancy kitchen in my house.  I only paid 270K baht for it.  The whole house that is, not just the kitchen.

Edited by Adumbration

17 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Everyone is limited by both time and money.  Some people more than others.  I am going with 1100.  No fancy kitchen in my house.  I only paid 270K baht for it.  The whole house that is, not just the kitchen.

Then rather than saying:

"You will only get 700, 900 or 1100.

3,4, or 5 200mm bricks plus 4 inch slab on top.  I am currently building kitchen and going for 1100."

You should have said that the cheapest, fastest possible options are 700, 900 or 1100 because 3,4, or 5 200mm bricks plus 4 inch slab on top.  I am currently building kitchen and going for 1100."

That would still be untrue, be it would be more clear. 

Edited by Yellowtail
ww
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could always build the kitchen first then go get a GF who fits it ????

On a more serious note i never noticed the height of our units just measured them at around 78 cm I've only ever made the odd sandwich or cuppa on them (mind you the GF is a short ar$e at about 145 cm)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Then rather than saying:

"You will only get 700, 900 or 1100.

3,4, or 5 200mm bricks plus 4 inch slab on top.  I am currently building kitchen and going for 1100."

You should have said that the cheapest, fastest possible options are 700, 900 or 1100 because 3,4, or 5 200mm bricks plus 4 inch slab on top.  I am currently building kitchen and going for 1100."

That would still be untrue, be it would be more clear. 

Absolutely and the fact that someone is building with AAC blocks (the size is a giveaway) and doesn’t know that they can be cut accurately simply and fast with a cheap wood saw to any size you want, has either zero knowledge or worker’s with zero knowledge 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:21 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Absolutely and the fact that someone is building with AAC blocks (the size is a giveaway) and doesn’t know that they can be cut accurately simply and fast with a cheap wood saw to any size you want, has either zero knowledge or worker’s with zero knowledge 

You guys are hilarious. Before you continue on with your rant, please identify where I referred to AAC blocks.  

Decide (i) what you want to put under the countertops - dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, oven (1 or 2?) as well as storage, where the hob is, etc (ii) do you want an island, if so what for and eat different levels, (iii) who will manufacture and install - local company, imported, Khun Somboon and his mates? (iv) do you want look at your girlfriend bending down or stretching to reach something from a high shelf?

87-90 cm is typical in Thailand. Some companies may make less high, possibly a Japanese company which is sold in one shop on Thonglor. Kh. Somboon will make what you want but probably you will pay later.

14 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

Decide (i) what you want to put under the countertops - dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, oven (1 or 2?) as well as storage, where the hob is, etc (ii) do you want an island, if so what for and eat different levels, (iii) who will manufacture and install - local company, imported, Khun Somboon and his mates? (iv) do you want look at your girlfriend bending down or stretching to reach something from a high shelf?

87-90 cm is typical in Thailand. Some companies may make less high, possibly a Japanese company which is sold in one shop on Thonglor. Kh. Somboon will make what you want but probably you will pay later.

All this is obviously important. But I have to admit my concern was that it is comfortable for her to work in the kitchen. Currently in my rented apartment the counter tops are 90cm and she would like them lower. How much lower is the question. And another question is how I will like that in case I cook a little.

If you remember the film Basic Instinct the right hight to have fun with the other half,with Thai's being petite maybe a little lower than in farang land ,and while you are boiling the pet bunny .

With most work benches ,vices and lathes etc ,the rule is ,you standing straight up ,arm at 90 degree's ,your elbow wants to be the hight of the work top.

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The size you quoted is standard for AAC blocks, I don’t know of any others the same size.

Oh come on...

In your previous post you were lording your supposed knowledge in this matter in an attempt to belittle me.  The bulk of all kitchen counters in this country are built with 6 baht cement blocks that are 190mm high + 10mm of mortar.  Please post a video of you cutting one of those with your wood saw.

And I am still waiting for you to identify where i referred to AAC blocks.

Edited by Adumbration

57 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Oh come on...

In your previous post you were lording your supposed knowledge in this matter in an attempt to belittle me.  The bulk of all kitchen counters in this country are built with 6 baht cement blocks that are 190mm high + 10mm of mortar.  Please post a video of you cutting one of those with your wood saw.

And I am still waiting for you to identify where i referred to AAC blocks.

Did you bother to read my reply?

A 190mm block is not a 200mm block with or without mortar. If you can’t be bothered to be accurate and actually post correct information you must expect to be misunderstood.

Of course you don’t cut the cheap cement blocks with a wood saw you use the tool that virtually every Thai tradesmen has, an angle grinder. An alternative is a lump hammer and cold chisel.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 6:56 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

How much lower is the question.

Get her to stand on items of various thickness until the surface is at the height she says is comfortable for her.

Then, the height you need is 90cm minus the thickness.  

:wai: 

20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you bother to read my reply?

A 190mm block is not a 200mm block with or without mortar. If you can’t be bothered to be accurate and actually post correct information you must expect to be misunderstood.

Of course you don’t cut the cheap cement blocks with a wood saw you use the tool that virtually every Thai tradesmen has, an angle grinder. An alternative is a lump hammer and cold chisel.

You're truly hilarious.

And I have to ask.  Are you even in Thailand?

First, most all Thai houses are built with 6 baht cement blocks that are 190mm high with a 10mm row of mortar.  The timber boards that Thais use to form up their column pours have holes drilled every 200 mm to insert 6mm (song hoon) rebar to tie in the blocks.

Secondly, the bulk of all Thais laying cement blocks will never cut them with a grinder.  They will place a piece of 6mm bar across the block then tap the bar with a hammer.

Anyway keep doubling down on your AAC block rant...

Edited by Adumbration

14 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You're truly hilarious.

First, most all Thai houses are built with 6 baht cement blocks that are 190mm high with a 10mm row of mortar.  The timber boards that Thais use to form up their column pours have holes drilled every 200 mm to insert 6mm (song hoon) rebar to tie in the blocks.

Secondly, the bulk of all Thais laying cement blocks will never cut them with a grinder.  They will place a piece of 6mm bar across the block then tap the bar with a hammer.

Anyway keep doubling down on your AAC block rant...

In your locality  perhaps/probably. Not so many  do custom column pours for anything unless they want to extract greater payment for poorly designed construction be that for single story  dwellings or  walls on property boundaries.whether or not rebar is cut into a block or set in the mortar if the  blocks are left hollow! With the advent of the new  "insulblocks " I doubt there is any consensus of applied standards in general.

50 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

That is rich coming from someone who can’t be bothered to fill in his profile.

52 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

The timber boards that Thais use to form up their column pours have holes drilled every 200 mm to insert 6mm (song hoon) rebar to tie in the blocks.

Round here they use steel forms and they certainly don’t have holes a 200mm, but of course that makes no difference to your apparent inability to understand that 190mm is not 200mm 

56 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

So that makes it even easier to have a different counter hight doesn’t it?