Thai hotel threatens customer with ฿3m lawsuit over bad review

webfact

4 hours ago, LennyW said:

Whats the point of having a review facility on booking platforms if you are not allowed to point out the failings, the hotels should learn from it and improve?

Get that 3 million baht first could be their thinking. See the weasel word I put in the sentence? Just in case.

5 hours ago, LennyW said:

Whats the point of having a review facility on booking platforms if you are not allowed to point out the failings, the hotels should learn from it and improve?

Beat me to it! "T**p A*****r would be redundant if people can not voice an opinion about where they stay.

The Thai lady should hit them with a counter claim for the hotel not living up to her expectations!

• Like 2

Gotta love the defamation laws.  Don't like what someone says, even if its right, plan on getting sued.  Buddy wanted to complain about his wife always burning his toast, but he was told she could sue him if he posted it on his facebook account.....go figure.

• Like 1

So many of the resorts in Khao Yai look atrocious to me and designed for the selfie crowds. Clearly there's a market for them but I'd never spend the money asked to stay in those places. 

I much prefer something more down to earth near a national park. 

Edited by alien365
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have a great business idea..... 

I’m going to start a really crappy restaurant or hotel.....   I’m going to be impolite and pretty awful to visitors... 

Then I’ll sue each and every person who leaves a negative review.....  It could be quite an earner !!!! 

You mean like :- Hotel that inspired John Cleese's classic Fawlty Towers demolished | UK  news | The Guardian

Edited by sambum
Duplicate post
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

I guess hotels in Thailand should include a policy not to accept bad reviews by customers prior to check in.

Typical Thai mindset, it's good Covid punishes them and let's hope tourism continue to be decimated. 

Sign a no bad review waiver lol 555

3 hours ago, BestB said:

This story stinks of bs from start to finish.

1. She questioned if travel site revealed her identity to a hotel

Is she a complete idiot? of course hotel knows who left a review and for which reservation.

Did she think it was ok to write bad review if hotel did not know? if she knew hotel would know she would not have written it?

2. Review has been removed and she does not know by whom, and questioning if hotel had it removed

Once again, is she an idiot? who else would be able to remove it?

In addition reviews are never removed on request of hotel, but removed because it breaches some guidelines or hotel can prove review is not honest

Seeing as review was removed, i am certain hotel had proof her review was dishonest

3. Hotel made very high demands, seriously very very high demands, which suggests her review was an outright lie and hotel has the proof to show it, fact that site also removed it, also indicates same 

Stupid statement!!! Must really ask who is the idiot!!!

1. In the most countries in the world you can give bad reviews without treated like a dog.
2. The website admin can remove every review without notice you. Maybe the hotel owner have some highable connections and the money for excellent lawyers and coerced the website also to remove the negativ review.
3. Maybe the hotel done the same with everyone who had given a bad review before. This they demanted from she!!! And VOILA you have only 10/10 reviews!!!

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rbkk said:

The last time it was Agoda and the hotel in Koh Chang ( Farang manager!). The news was internationally reported at the time. The name and location of the hotel was soon uncovered. Just waiting for the same to happen here so we all know where to avoid. Any more clues anyone?

In the Koh Chang case it was an over the top assault by the customer on multiple platforms over something he did that was inappropriate in the first place.

I am reserving judgement on this one until more facts are in. I have never had an issue with objective and honest reviews.

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

what translater did you use, here is google

6 is too expensive When going to stay, the room doesn't look as new as the picture. The phone couldn't be cut, had to dance. Deluxe Room Khao Yai It's not clean, heavy work in the middle of the dream, won't punch it. Help? But there are some hard work to welcome Cudon. set one before shift Because going to the battle, the TV doesn't cut, the room doesn't keep sound. Dantenan heard it. The room is not too small, it's good to see him. The tree is not green. But not as profound as Lalabus or Stana Tower. very children's restaurant Many people go together. need to look for a place where the chae is lowered To get a movie, the taste of food is rentable enough. There is little food available. The talegos on the very park floor. Really, but it's very small. In the village of people, reaching the knife point, finding the entrance is very difficult, expensive, black. Really good quality, the price is the same as the accommodation that has been rented, but has been rented more like an apartment. Today, it's enough to go to Khao Yai. Husband will talk about it all the time. do not want to adjust the price and The standard is worth looking at. There is a chance to return to Chakrada. Reviewed on December 19, 2021

6 ราคาแพงไป
ตอนที่ไปพักห้องไม่ดูใหม่เหมือนกับที่องภาพ โทรศัพท์ก็ตัดต่อลงไปไม่ได้ ต้องเต้นลงไป
Deluxe Room
Khao Yai
เอง ไม่สะอาด หนักงานกลางฝันก็ไม่ต่อยช่วยละไร แต่ก็มีหนักงานบางคนที่ต้อนรับคัดอน
เซ็ตอันก่อนเปลี่ยนกะ เพราะไปถึงศึก ทีวีไม่ตัด ห้องไม่เก็บเสียง ดนเต็นานก็ได้ยินแล้ว
ห้องไม่ต้อยเท่าไร ดีที่เห็นเขา ต้นไม่สีเขียวๆ แต่ไม่โปรงเหมือนลาลาบัส หรือ หอสตาน่า
ห้องอาหารเด็กมาก คนไปหลายๆคนเป็ยคกัน ต้องมองหาที่จัแจลง รองนดนว่าง
ถึงได้นัง รสชาติอาหารเช่าพอได้ อาหารมีให้เล็อกน้อย ทาเลโกส์ทางชั้นอุทยานมาก
จริง ๆ แต่ว่าก็อยู่ล็กมาก อยู่ในหมู่บ้านคน ไปถึงตอนมีด หาทางเข้าสาบากมาก ราคาแพงดำ
เห็ยมกับคุณภาพจริง ราคาพอๆ กับหัพักที่มีเช็อแต่เช่าไปแล้วเหมือนอพาร์ตเมนต์มากกว่า
ทุกวันนี้พอจะไปเขาใหญ่ สามีจะแชวเรืองหัพักน็ตลอดเลย อยากไม่ปรับเรืองราคาและ
มาตรฐานให้ดูสมก็บราคาค่ะ มีโอกาสจะกลับไปจักระดะ
รีวิวเมื่อ ธันวาคม 19, 2564

Say again !

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Easier to just check page two of this very thread. 

That hotel you note has lots of 1 star reviews on Google. Looks like the hotel just goes after the low hanging fruit i.e. those who can be easily sued in Thailand or those who are likely to react to a threat. Good for these people for making a noise. 

Because they are Thai hotels! And as we are frequently reminded,Thais have no failings so any bad review is just a misguided individual who does not understand Thai perfection. Alternatively it's because they just can't take criticism but are obliged to have a feedback option on travel sites. I would say that, given the choice, they'd prefer travel sites followed the Twitter/YouTube system of hidingnegative responses. Thatbeing said, 6/10 is hardly a bad score, all things considered, at least it's a pass mark equivalent to what the management gotin their school exams! And this one they actually earned rather than got granted.

5 hours ago, rbkk said:

The name and location of the hotel was soon uncovered. Just waiting for the same to happen here so we all know where to avoid. Any more clues anyone?

Can't wait ! I am so looking forward to writing to them .... again and again.... ... and again ... hope they have free cancellation in operation ... just keep booking ... again and again ..... and again 

• Like 1

I have a great business idea..... 

I’m going to start a really crappy restaurant or hotel.....   I’m going to be impolite and pretty awful to visitors... 

Then I’ll sue each and every person who leaves a negative review.....  It could be quite an earner !!!! 

Basil Fawlty would be rivaling Elon Musk in the wealth stakes if he'd opened Fawlty Towers in Thailand!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I would have given them a 1 out of 10. You can give an honest review, but just be careful how you word it.

You can write about how you feel and what you received and what you expected and didn't receive, talk about yourself. You can say things like "the hotel did not meet my expectations", or " I will certainly never return to this hotel". About food say "in my opinion, the food was not delicious" or "the food portion was too small and did not contain enough meat for me". Don't say "there wasn't enough food".

You just have to be able to prove, in a court of law, what you have written. Nobody can dispute what you felt.

You can't say the staff are "X", or the hotel is "_hit".

If in doubt, perhaps take some pics to prove the shortcomings.

36 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

Hotels are not forced to use rated travel sights. When they signed up they agreed to get reviews good and bad. This country really needs to crawl out of the primordial ooze and start evolving.

This would be the best argument if I am her lawyer!!! 

6 hours ago, LennyW said:

Same on T-advisor. I have now cancelled all reviewing activities.

But try it the other way round: You can derive a lot from the comments hotel and restaurant owners give as a feedback to not so good reviews about them. Works well.

Edited by moogradod

5 hours ago, 2long said:

6/10 is 'better than average'

What is WRONG with these hotels?

I know a thing or two about how these review systems work. Take Agoda for example, while all the reviews are genuine, the system is rigged in a way that it's very hard to score a hotel less than 6/10 unless your really trying to hurt them. If you have a 6/10 aggregated average on that site, you're a terrible hotel.

4 hours ago, Xonax said:

"The review, in which the customer complained that the stay was overpriced for the experience, has already been removed from the website."

Can anyone mention a hotel in Thailand that is not overpriced? Since the government began offering to pay half of the price, the prices were immediately increased.  If Thailand is expecting 1 million foreign tourists to visit in 2022, they will not be filling more than a few percent of the hotel rooms available, which should rather result in record-low hotel prices.

See, this kind of irritates me. Hotels are very good value in Thailand compared to much of the world and the margins are wafer thin. I read a lot of comments that guests are 'powerful' with pricing due to covid. Actually that's not really true and it discloses a fundamental misunderstanding of basic business practices. . . if a hotel is forced to sell room nights below their baseline costs for operating the rooms and all the associated services, the hotel might as well just close, which is what many have done.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Change this stupid law it obviously is out of place in the modern world

It would be interesting to know where that law comes from.

I understand that there should be consequences if someone writes bad about a venue when actually it is good.

But if the venue is bad quality and someone writes about that bad quality why should there be a law against that.

And yes, I am aware that we are in Thailand and there does not have to be any logic involved.