Personal Challenges in Thailand

Guest Isaanlife

What do YOU see as YOUR biggest personal challenges living in Thailand the next 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years?

1. I will take a go and say maintaining good health

2. Medical insurance into 70's and 80's (who can predict the cost?)

3. The economy. Depending on the THB rate and the entire country not to financially crash.

2 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

One way to do it is find out how much it costs if 70s and 80s now (150k-250k+) and add on inflation 3% every year to you get to 70s and 80s i.e. maybe 5-10 years

Guest Isaanlife
40 minutes ago, fredscats said:

There are ways and means to mitigate insurance costs

Do share some facts, specially in your 80's.

49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah save money and pay for trips to India but in an emergency not possible

5000 baht return ,nearest point,emergency? insurance cheap enough for accident cover,anything is possible,just two hours away...what was the last topic ?eyes? from 100,000 baht tops to around 10.000 baht India  with better choices,  same same virtually everything         but,big but here , yes Thailand scores better  McCormick CM,rest your weary 80 year old body there

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Only challenge ... #1 ... waking up everyday.

If successful, the rest is easy and carefree.

... never had or will ever have ... what a scam

3. The economy. Depending on the THB rate and the entire country not to financially crash

...  that would be plus, as USD would be worth more.  Thai economy is irrelevant to me.

Medical insurance is a rip off,whatever age,has been shown  Yes instant treatment but same as govt hospital,its the aftercare,not possible with insurance ,limited to very short time span, few weeks,likened to an open cheque book with them

• Like 2

3#....   although I have something at stake here as far as I'm concern the sooner it crashes I wouldn't shed any tears the weaker their baht the better to offset all the B.S.

Add #4....  for years I wake up go to sleep and thank my lucky stars I haven't slapped and gone on a rampage as a serial killer?  ????????

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

… I haven't slapped and gone on a rampage as a serial killer?  ????????

The man who does not wake up thinking that is ill-prepared for when he does not.

Edited by StreetCowboy

58 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Do government hospitals treat foreigners the same as Thai's? Past experience to me has shown that they are massively overcrowded and even simple procedures taking months. Hospitals in my area are very run down and I would not wish to place my life in their hands. It would be nice if there was a hospital system that was semi private but not extortionate in it's prices. I had a minor op cost 2000 pounds and a biopsy for about 800 quid. Money disappears very quickly in the private hospitals. 

Yes there's the possibility of hopping on a plane if it's not urgent but the UK has long waiting lists for non urgent ops, perhaps India is an option for those without insurance.

try it, best thing I ever did    2 hours away from bkk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's also the option of having no treatment at all.

Lots of stuff gets better if left alone (free), and if you die still free, or was misdiagnosed by the doctors.

I've refused two operations on me (must have or die), 8 years later still here.

And one on my five year old son (must have or die), 5 years later still here.

Notice how they nearly always want to but metal and screws in to fix broken bones?

Rarely required, and ups the price of the treatment enormously.

You make a very good point! Once they start in on you, it often never ends until you die or run out of insurance/funds!.

• Like 2