Five on a motorcycle! Pick up driver flees scene after grandparents take children out - one dead, four injured

webfact

A few years ago I rear ended a motorcyclist who came out of a side road without looking. He had only one useable leg and and the other was a prosthetic. Cutting the story short. I had a dashcam and the one legged man was blamed for the accident. The man was told, along with family members, that he was never to ride the bike again. And cuz the guy was so poor the police decided to waive the 1,400 Baht they intended to impose on him. For me I had to claim on my insures and pay for fluids that had to be replaced in the engine. Insurers do not cover the cost of fluids in Thailand if they have to be replaced. 

I doubt very much the one legged man has never stopped riding his bike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are plenty of things I'd like to do but I don't because I don't have the money for it. I learned to live without and my life continues without. It's called adapting to your circumstances.

No... what you have written is not called adapting,.. what you have written its called sanctimony. 

Thailand is a poor nation, many of its citizens lack many of the privileges we grew up with in developed nations.

One of those privileges is readily available alternatives and state mitigated risk through effective policing, accountability and legislation. 

On 1/11/2022 at 8:41 AM, sanuk711 said:

That's true, with 5 on the bike the back light (if it had one ) was sure to be covered.

I think what most posters are disgusted with , is his actions after the accident. Who knows who would have survied if he had stayed to help, and called it in immediately.

firstly the cowardly piece S//t that could just walk away from this is a low life oxygen thief and his termination would do the world a favour..also the stupidity of adults taking children on the dangerous roads 5 people on a bike insane..i bet no helmets and the police do sweet F A ..these accidents will continue untill rules are changed and tougher penalties are introduced..till then keep filling the morgue..RIP to the deceased

3 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

firstly the cowardly piece S//t that could just walk away from this is a low life oxygen thief and his termination would do the world a favour..also the stupidity of adults taking children on the dangerous roads 5 people on a bike insane..i bet no helmets and the police do sweet F A ..these accidents will continue untill rules are changed and tougher penalties are introduced..till then keep filling the morgue..RIP to the deceased

We know that, and in their wisdom, actually reduced some fine amounts.

Why the authorities cannot come up with sensible road carnage fixes is beyond me, it's crazy....... ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Do you think in this case it would have made a difference if there were 2 or 5 people on the bike?

I do not mean of course the person who died would still be alive if she had not been there at the time but the truck driver would have still hit the bike and done a runner?

Imo the truck driver is a lot more to blame then the grandfather trying to take care of the kids.

Again it may only have been a case of poor vision but the fact remains the driver did a runner.

I would bet the windshield of the truck had a very dark sunscreen,nearly 100% of vehicles have that over here.

That should be very illegal and causes a lot of accidents imo.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jvs said:

Do you think in this case it would have made a difference if there were 2 or 5 people on the bike?

I do not mean of course the person who died would still be alive if she had not been there at the time but the truck driver would have still hit the bike and done a runner?

Imo the truck driver is a lot more to blame then the grandfather trying to take care of the kids.

Again it may only have been a case of poor vision but the fact remains the driver did a runner.

I would bet the windshield of the truck had a very dark sunscreen,nearly 100% of vehicles have that over here.

That should be very illegal and causes a lot of accidents imo.

yes im not disputing the fact it was the drivers fault ..just saying risking children on these bikes 5 people on these things cannot be handled correctly thsis are bad enough on the roads as it is without adding more risk  also the point of dark screens my wife has just had her screens redone virtual black so i can understand what your saying 

• Like 1

Considering that the pickup was left at the scene, I would be happy not to be the owner.

I wonder why the RTP have not dug up the address and have been at least to the owners address.

I guess This is Thailand though, and for the police to act quickly in this manner may either not be

possible or the vehicle is from somewhere else in the country and the owner is not a local

person.  Just wonder how long it will take to track the person down. RIP to the Grand Mother, and I hope the rest

will recover okay. 

On 1/11/2022 at 1:12 AM, Geoffggi said:

All of the above is true but lets also not forget that 5 on a bike is also a little OTT .................

I suspect that that the motorbike was the only form of transport for the family, which was transporting the young kids from one house to another  It is not unusual to see in any third world country.  Easy to criticize from a western point of view and I am afraid we all tend to do it. 

• Like 1