Having trouble getting a certificate of residency for a car purchase

Hi all,

I'm currently having issues trying to get a certificate of residency (in Bangkok) so I can register the car I recently purchased.

I went to Muang Thong Thani last week without the home owners ID (explained in a second), hoping the completed TM30 form and my 90 day reporting slip and / or work permit might help.

Unfortunately they asked for proof of home ownership and the owners ID and wouldn't let me proceed further.

The reason I do not have these documents is because the home owner passed away, and it is in the process of being transferred to a family member. So the 'tabien baan' does not have the current owners name on it.

Apparently I have a very tight deadline for getting this document (according to the car dealer) or I'm going to have to register the car in another name.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of exception I can get, such as a document which states the home ownership is currently being transferred, or similar? Or any kind of agent who can help me with this.

Thank you in advance!

Only once done certificate of residency from Immigration was a great pain, have never bothered since that was 2003..

I just go to the local 'Head' man's house. he signs the forms and I take it to the Local Town Hall. I have been on there Computer since 2004, they just look it up and print out, longest time is seeing the big boss for him/here to date it and put there big red department seal on Document...  + is Free..

Never been a problem anyplace where I needed a certificate of residency.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

I have obtained many COR from MTT over the past 2 years.  Only need the application indicating it was for either buying a car, selling a car, obtaining a license etc..., Showed my TM-30, my 90 day and mt passport.  paid the 200Baht for the COR and it was mailed out to me at my residence.  I have bought 2 cars, sold one, bought a Motor bike, and obtained both my licenses for my Motor Bike and Private car as well as having a COR to change my Pink ID card address to my current residence to match the licenses I need the COR to obtain at DLT.

I never have had to show an owners book in fact when I bought my last car they wanted a COR and not my Yellow book as proof of residence.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i am surprised to hear that only verified residents of thailand can be car owners .

Thats not the case. 

is this the norm also in other countries, like the UK?

No... but what happens in other countries is not relevant to Thailand. 

and why is it so hard to get this certificate of residence?

Its not hard at all. For some reason, the Op has hit a brick wall.

Either a communication issue or a very awkward officer. 

what is someone rent a room in hotel for long term?

No problem - anyone can own a car in Thailand. 

It may be a little more difficult to obtain the Certificate of Address / Affirmation of Address document if someone is on a a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt Stamp.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Alternatively, the most reliable solution is to get an Affirmation of Residence document from your Embassy. 

Not all countries provide that service and sometimes can be many weeks to get an appointment. The US embassy has appointment system that you must use and $50 US for your affidavit.

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I never have had to show an owners book in fact when I bought my last car they wanted a COR and not my Yellow book as proof of residence.

I’m wondering if he Op led with a confusing story about how the owner had passed away and he was awaiting transfer of ownership to another family member.... 

.... Immigration officers head spinning = Cannot !

Sometimes, as westerners we tend to overcomplicate things with details and end up causing greater confusing.

Not suggesting that ‘has’ happened, but I’m suggesting that this is a possibility.... Or just a very unhelpful officer.

Either way - The Op can get an Affirmation of Address from his Embassy and get this dealt with very quickly. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m wondering if he Op led with a confusing story about how the owner had passed away and he was awaiting transfer of ownership to another family member.... 

.... Immigration officers head spinning = Cannot !

Just to confirm, I didn't mention this at all.

Just told them I didn't have the documents they asked for. Here's a print out...

2 and 3 are what I did not have. I can get #2 easily, but it will not match #3. 

print.jpeg

Edited by kishnanakishna

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have as much time as you need - the dealer may be pressuring you because they want to ‘get it done’ (which is a rarity), however, its your car you have time to find an alternative. 

Interesting.

The only told me about the required paperwork six months after I got the car (guessing Covid put delays on everything?) and I still have the red number plates so I assume that is what they are worried about. 

10 minutes ago, kishnanakishna said:

Interesting.

The only told me about the required paperwork six months after I got the car (guessing Covid put delays on everything?) and I still have the red number plates so I assume that is what they are worried about. 

Many dealerships have never dealt with a foreigner purchase before. I bought a car in December and had to explain to them why they needed the document I was providing. But surely you must have known or left a deposit on the red plates and after a few months wondered when you'd get your real ones and your money back ?

• Like 1

What drivers license do you have. 

If it's Thai your address is on the back, is it the address you are living at? 

I always use my license. 

I've been living at the same address for 20 years. 

I don't bother with the blue house book anymore, just show my license. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The first car I bought in Pattaya was from a local dealer who took me personally to Immigration, straight into a supervisors office, and I walked out with the certificate 15 minutes later.

The OP is in the big smoke. Bangkok.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not hard at all. For some reason, the Op has hit a brick wall.

Either a communication issue or a very awkward officer. 

I had success with this without having the owner id by giving the immigration officer the 300 baht she requested for the "free" residence certificate.   That might be the paperwork the OP was missing.   

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

I had success with this without having the owner id by giving the immigration officer the 300 baht she requested for the "free" residence certificate.   That might be the paperwork the OP was missing.   

This would not be Bangkok.

Residence Certificate is obtained at Mueang Thong Thani immigration. 

There is no "over the counter service". 

The fee is 200 baht and it is mailed out to you EMS. Can take up to 2 weeks. 

To obtain the residence certificate the main thing they look for (Desk B) is receipt for 90 day report.

They may/may not also require you to show TM30..

Think for the OP the hurdle would be document check if they wanted the TM30. 

At desk B it's not such a big deal with your 90 report receipt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ignis said:

Only once done certificate of residency from Immigration was a great pain, have never bothered since that was 2003..

I just go to the local 'Head' man's house. he signs the forms and I take it to the Local Town Hall. I have been on there Computer since 2004, they just look it up and print out, longest time is seeing the big boss for him/here to date it and put there big red department seal on Document...  + is Free..

Never been a problem anyplace where I needed a certificate of residency.

Very helpful thank you. Never thought of asking the local district office for proof of residency!

Its surposed to be free but never had a problem obtaining one even though i was only rented.

Its requirement is cited as as an obsticle to foreigners doing business in thailand for those living and working in the kingdom.

Edited by tomyami
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

To obtain the residence certificate the main thing they look for (Desk B) is receipt for 90 day report.

Exactly as you said for MTT, done many times. The only problem is it takes up to 2 weeks to be mailed and in your hands. So you need to plan appropriately for your paperwork with DLT or the dealer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

That's what it says on the sign for mine. That's where I went for Yellow House Book, Pink Foreigner's ID Card and Marriage Registration. 

May I ask what form it is you take there for a COR ? They sign and stamp it ?  I want to give it a try myself.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Appreciate the reply, Dr. Jack.

I do have a 90 day report but unfortunately they kept asking me for the house owners ID and tabien baan.

This is where I'm a bit stuck as the tabien baan does not match (and won't for quite a while). 

Might see if I can find and agent

Getting a COR from Immigration ,apart from requiring one to obtain driving licence , has almost become a no no - very difficult !  The reason is that many were using these certificates for the wrong purpose and some even illegally . 

Best way now is to either use your yellow book if you have one OR get your lawyer to write up a Affirmation of Residence - in Thai ( for use in Thailand )  or in English (for use outside of Thailand )  My Thai version was accepted for boat registration and many other things as certified by the Lawyer. Unlike the COR from Immigration which is valid for 1 month , my COR/Affirmation of Residence is valid for one year .   Also my English version is accepted by Pension Providers / Banks etc .