Can you enter Thailand if you recently had Covid?

2 hours ago, organicman said:

Can Covid unvaccinated people travel to Thailand? 

Yes but with longer quarantine period. 10-14 days depending on what country you are from.

Note that quarantine here is not self isolation. It is in a designated quarantine hotel at your expense, and you are seriously confined entirely to the room until at least the second PCR test and most of the time after that (some hotels will allow you a short period out of the room to walk within the grounds etc,  from around day 7 onward.) It is strictly policed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, organicman said:

Japan and some other countries I can't remember the names are back to normal now ...

Information about entering into Japan

Source: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

This is the current situation as of today.

Japan has taken Covid extremely seriously from the start, and continues to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Everyone has to go into hotel quarantined, even if fully vaccinated (though duration is less for those considered fully vaccinated - 7 days vs 10-14 days if considered unvaxxed).

You have to have a negative PCR within 72 hours of departure and will have to undergo 2 more PCRs after you arrive, if either is positive -- which can happen for a few months after recovering from COVID - you face mandatory hospitalization.

Personally I would nto risk it unless the need to travel here is really pressing.

My understanding  that hospitalization is no longer mandatory  with options of hotel, hospitel  and home quarantine but I deign to your  greater knowledge.

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

My understanding  that hospitalization is no longer mandatory  with options of hotel, hospitel  and home quarantine but I deign to your  greater knowledge.

For international travelers they are still requiring hospitalization. Possible that if someone has a permanent home here, they could negotiate to quarantine at home (assuming asymptomatic).

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For international travelers they are still requiring hospitalization. Possible that if someone has a permanent home here, they could negotiate to quarantine at home (assuming asymptomatic).

Thank you. Please comment  on my suggestion about getting a pre travel PCR test in Australia. Is it a medically valid suggestion?

If the only issue is a positive  PCR test then the OP can get one in Australia. A pre test test. If he is not 'shedding' then he can travel in the knowledge that he wont test  positive  in Thailand.

Edited by The Hammer2021

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If the only issue is a positive  PCR test then the OP can get one in Australia. A pre test test. If he is not 'shedding' then he can travel in the knowledge that he wont test  positive  in Thailand.

Usually true, but sadly negative tests can occasionally be followed by false positive ones. Also, if on arrival you test positive once, you are not given the opportunity to prove that it is a false positive.

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Usually true, but sadly negative tests can occasionally be followed by false positive ones. Also, if on arrival you test positive once, you are not given the opportunity to prove that it is a false positive.

I am referring  to a pre test done in his home country in Australia. PCR tests will or won't show  the presence  of dead covid RNA/DNA.  Once it has indicated an absence  of dead covid  material it can not then find it as it is not there.

13 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I am referring  to a pre test done in his home country in Australia. PCR tests will or won't show  the presence  of dead covid RNA/DNA.  Once it has indicated an absence  of dead covid  material it can not then find it as it is not there.

You can believe me or not. There have been many documented cases of positive test results after RT-PCR tests were earlier negative. Samples are not clones of each other, and not all PCR tests are processed identically. Some are more sensitive to dead viral fragments than others. This is aggravating, but a fact.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You can believe me or not. There have been many documented cases of positive test results after RT-PCR tests were earlier negative. Samples are not clones of each other, and not all PCR tests are processed identically. Some are more sensitive to dead viral fragments than others. This is aggravating, but a fact.

I started a whole thread about this subject so I am aware of some of the issues.  However, as time elapses the chance of dead material  being present are lessened and lessened. I would be grateful  if you could provide  me with details of the cases you refer to. ie. A PCR test detecting no evidence  of dead shed rna/dna then a later test finding  evidence  of said dead shed material.  I await your answer with interest.  I am agog.

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I started a whole thread about this subject so I am aware of some of the issues.  However, as time elapses the chance of dead material  being present are lessened and lessened. I would be grateful  if you could provide  me with details of the cases you refer to. ie. A PCR test detecting no evidence  of dead shed rna/dna then a later test finding  evidence  of said dead shed material.  I await your answer with interest.  I am agog.

I sent you a PM as we have gone rather off topic.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you have recovered from covid, have a recovery certificate and positive travel pcr, you can travel to thailand but only on airlines that will let you travel. There are very few.

You need at least 14 days from original positive covid test however some airlines are 28 days.

Transit is also a problem now in many countries that require negative pcr, as well as vaccination.

Then if you have the recovery and your pcr test here in quarantine is positive you can take an extra blood test to prove whether you are ok or not.

The blood test can be done at a hospital.

Edited by jojothai
Add detail
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

With quarantine on arrival, it is possible in principle. You need to be very careful about finding an airline that will carry you unvaccinated, and not using a transfer location that blocks the unvaccinated.

Frankly, if you wish to engage in foreign travel, the difficulty of doing so when unvaccinated is an additional reason (over and above health and protecting others) to be vaccinated.

I would also warn those who do not like protecting themselves against Covid-19 that you will need to use face masks when in Thailand. 

Thank you BritTim, Nicely phrased. My thoughts and attitudes too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jojothai said:

If you have recovered from covid, have a recovery certificate and positive travel pcr, you can travel to thailand but only on airlines that will let you travel. There are very few.

You need at least 14 days from original positive covid test however some airlines are 28 days.

Transit is also a problem now in many countries that require negative pcr, as well as vaccination.

Then if you have the recovery and your pcr test here in quarantine is positive you can take an extra blood test to prove whether you are ok or not.

The blood test can be done at a hospital.

Excellent detailed reply. 

Thinking will possibly be even more difficult in the future. 

15 hours ago, organicman said:

Japan and some other countries I can't remember the names are back to normal

Define normal. Japan does not allow foreigners in. Nationals still have to quarantine and take multiple tests even if vaccinated and negative. People are working from home. Thailand is a walk in the park in comparison.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you. Please comment  on my suggestion about getting a pre travel PCR test in Australia. Is it a medically valid suggestion?

It does not quite work that way - in someone who had a prior COVID infection, and thus may have small amounts of dead viral material in the body, it is quite possible to have a negative test and then later a positive one, it is sort of hit or miss as to whether the sample taken at a particular time picks up any viral material.

It might not happen, but the less the time that has passed since he recovered, the greater the possibility of a subsequent test picking up some viral material.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It does not quite work that way - in someone who had a prior COVID infection, and thus may have small amounts of dead viral material in the body, it is quite possible to have a negative test and then later a positive one, it is sort of hit or miss as to whether the sample taken at a particular time picks up any viral material.

It might not happen, but the less the time that has passed since he recovered, the greater the possibility of a subsequent test picking up some viral material.

Thank you for the clarification but it's surprising that such an unreliable  procedure would be used.  Imagine if TB or HIV were misdiagnosed in such a way.

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you for the clarification but it's surprising that such an unreliable  procedure would be used.  Imagine if TB or HIV were misdiagnosed in such a way.

There is at present no viable alternative test to identify presence of live viral material.