PM Happy with Thailand Being Best Place to Retire in Asia

snoop1130

Really dont know what kindness and hospitality towards people he is talking about unless only towards thais only. As the last 4 landlords ive jad have stolen from me as well as charged me for either damanges already there when moved in or that were caused by maitnance that came out to fix problems. Also they didnt want to report my living there and much more. Not to mention the 3rd 1 right after paying renr had all the power to my unit get cut and the door locked to the room to reser the power so i was forced out onto the street at 10 at night. Didnt get into a hotel till 4 am as me and my wife were stuck packing in the dark and both phones about to die. I could go on and on and on but we all know how we get treated by thais. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is happy with Thailand being considered as the best place to retire in Asia and the 11th best place for the purpose worldwide, according to the government spokesman.

Well of course he's happy. This ranking tells him he doesn't need to change anything. All the so called hoop jumping retirees are complaining about will remain and possibly get even more complex/expensive.

Without offering retirees a path to permanent residence after years of meeting requirements and jumping through hoops, there's always the problem that missing an extension date due to dementia could lead to serious trouble eventually.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it would be more accurate to say, Thailand is one of the best places in Asia to retire if:

1. Your budget is quite limited. 

2. You are a single man. 

3. You have a high tolerance level for nonsense and horrific government. 

4. You know how to handle super corrupt franchisees (cops). 

5. You are a highly skilled and defensive driver and can handle some of the worst ( not only least skilled, but also people willing to take enormous risks, with their entire families in the car) drivers in the world. 

6. You like Thai food. 

7. You have a high tolerance threshold for nonsensical immigration policy. 

8. You do not mind being disliked and unwanted by virtually all government agencies. 

9. You (like me) do not have a need to "belong", and are OK always feeling like an outsider. 

If those reerequisites are met, one can enjoy a very good life here, on a limited budget, and still live well. 

Bwahahahaha!  You nailed it there.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Card said:

"paying off officials at local offices to get paperwork done.  Or you don't have to give them some bhat and come back another day with a copy of something something something..."

I have retired in Thailand for 17 years and never had to pay what you imply are bribes to any officials. 

Do you wear rose tinted glasses when you emerge from beneath your stone?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I am pleased that you haven't.

I have many many many expat friends and they all had to.  They do it themselves and not through a broker.  

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

He really has no idea whatsoever, what a clown. I would  like to invite him to come on the process of gaining my marriage extension, taking 6 photos at home, spending a day with me, wife, and witness, coming to the bank, Cor ror 2 ,  signing 61 document copies, coming back for the home visit, and being questioned and photographed again, maybe he'd want to sit on our bed together for the photo op. But my wife would yak yak him so much she'd probably get arrested.  :cheesy:

I have an Extension based on Marriage (Marriage Visa) and agree completely with what you say. This year I had to take more than 100 photocopies in total to Immigration because they want 2 (signed) copies of everything! What really made me "laugh" was when the I.O. said she wanted a photo of the roof of the house! My wife politely explained that we couldn't take a photo of the roof of the house because there's a bloody big tree in the way!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I understand all too well that someone who runs from their problems - their problems just follow them.  When you are negative, thinking that you're going to drop everything and suddenly be happy in Thailand is fairly common.  

Agree with  most here - your money is all that they want.  Like many parts of Asia, you are always a foreigner no matter what and you will never be accepted as anything but.  Expats fail to realize this until they move.  Dual pricing is rampant in Thailand.  Unsafe roads, pollution, and visas that are meant to be problematic and paying off officials at local offices to get paperwork done.  Or you don't have to give them some bhat andther come back another day with a copy of something something something....  And your version of democracy will be severely challenged.  In short, you have no real say in how things go for you.

It adds up until you decide that it simply isn't worth it.  For some it is.  For those whom it is, consider that you will have to put up with it or move to be happy.  If you don't accept these terms you will be very very unhappy but that is your choice.  I wish that it were different but the reality is it isn't going to change.  

Another "grass is greener on the other side post".  I have been here now for 17 years and if I ignore the immature politics and corruption, life is great.  Sure prices are going up, but they are everywhere else.  Visas are a bit of a bore, but hey-ho, I have managed to get a married visa every year and was helped by Immigration when one year I made a nonsense of it.  I have lots of very nice Thai Friends whom I dine with as often as possible and have a comfortable income from our various businesses and various pensions.  The sun shines nearly every day and I am a great fan of Thai food.  So, good food, good weather and good friends, with a comfortable income.  What more could one want?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blazes said:

Yes, all retirees just LOVE those 90-day visits to Immigration to prove they still exist and have not recently committed any crimes.  The sense of security it gives the retiree to meet a genuine Immigration Officer who has our best interests at heart is precisely why we come to Thailand,

and stay away from those countries like Mexico or Spain which don't invite us to their offices every 90 days and who just let us get on with our lives. 

Getting  out and about every 90 days is no problem  or post or on line or agent...It just simply is not an issue

21 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Another "grass is greener on the other side post".  I have been here now for 17 years and if I ignore the immature politics and corruption, life is great.  Sure prices are going up, but they are everywhere else.  Visas are a bit of a bore, but hey-ho, I have managed to get a married visa every year and was helped by Immigration when one year I made a nonsense of it.  I have lots of very nice Thai Friends whom I dine with as often as possible and have a comfortable income from our various businesses and various pensions.  The sun shines nearly every day and I am a great fan of Thai food.  So, good food, good weather and good friends, with a comfortable income.  What more could one want?

Thank you for your positive post. What more could one want? A forum without mean spirited Thai bashers? lol

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Card said:

"paying off officials at local offices to get paperwork done.  Or you don't have to give them some bhat and come back another day with a copy of something something something..."

I have retired in Thailand for 17 years and never had to pay what you imply are bribes to any officials. 

Anecdotal evidence of one does not reflect the whole. I was exactly the same for several years until suddenly manufactured issues caused unnecessary and pointless difficulties . You simply cannot rely on consistency and logic here. It’s OK until suddenly it isn’t.

• Like 1

Retired in Thailand, love it... 

Yesterday spent just about the whole day at Kabin Buri Amphur. Annual extension at Immigration is a walk in the park compared to what my wife and family had to go through. Trying to get a replacement birth certificate for a sister who lives in Germany. I'll spare the details...

Sat waiting patiently in the aircon room I was the subject of great interest. Clearly not many had actually seen a farang face to face. 

Elderly people coming to have a good look, one or two youngsters trying to practice their English, security guards bringing bottles of cold water... Some well dressed top totty to look at, well it sort of made the day go quicker. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, renaissanc said:

If Prayuth wants retirees to choose Thailand, he should make sure that health insurance isnt compulsory. Insurance companies usually stop insuring you at 65 or 70. Why retire and buy a condo in Thailand if you'll be kicked out of the country by the time you're 70? Retirees should get 5+ year visas. A one-year visa at a time is a deterrant.

I agree with you but would like to add .  The topic is really outdated as of now the Thai government only want wealthy retirees in Thailand and not those with basic pensions . Will the financial qualifications change soon to reflect that ? If it happens there could be a mass exodus of current expat retirees from Thailand . Indeed the Thai government should be encouraging the modest retirees as collectively they make a contribution to the countries economy and also support their Thai families . 

The visa for retirees could be simplified by having a retirement pass book with all of the required info and a duration of say 5 years that could be scrutinised and stamped every 6 months . After a probationary period of say 2 years ( or zero years with an enrolment fee ) the retiree should be included in the Thai government health scheme at a fee .     Private health insurance only being available to over 70 s at a huge premium , if at all .  It would be interesting to have a poll on age groups of this forums members . I would bet that the majority are under the age of 70 years .

Thailand best place to retire in Asia.

* if you like jumping through all kinds of hoops to get the appropriate visa

* if you like dual pricing

* if you like the most dangerous roads on the planet

* if you like thick smog 4-5 months every year when you live up north or in the greater BKK area

* if you like a totally corrupt country with an equally corrupt military regime

Other than that (and I’m sure I forgot a few things) it’s heaven on earth.

• Like 2