Thailand to be declared country where African swine fever has been detected

snoop1130

000_9VC7EH-1.jpg

Photo by Yamil LAGE / AFP

The Livestock Development Department will report the finding of African Swine Fever (ASF) in Thailand to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and will declare Thailand as a country where ASF has been detected, Soravit Thaneeto, the department’s head, was quoted to have said in a press release from the department today (Tuesday).

The department sent teams of investigators to Nakhon Pathom and Ratchaburi, the two central provinces with the highest number of pig farms in the country, on January 8th and 9th, to collect blood samples and surface swabs from slaughter houses.

196 blood samples were taken from six pig farms in Ratchaburi province, as well as 113 samples from four farms and two slaughter houses in Nakhon Pathom. All were sent to the department’s National Institute of Animal Health for tests.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-to-be-declared-country-where-african-swine-fever-has-been-detected/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-11

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Petey11 said:

That's ok, just don't look for or test for it anywhere, it'll go away, nothing to see, move along, were all good.

Thailand better learn to live with the African Swine Fever, it will be here for many generations. 

The small island of Sardinia have been fighting an outbreak since 1978.

17 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well I guess the pigs need to wear masks, social distance, they need to be vaxed and given pcr tests, and locked down...

Not far from the truth.  Most pigs are raised in large factory farms in extremely close quarters, this results in the spread of the disease.   

It's not something new.

About six months ago a near neighbor to us in Loei had his herd of about 100 swine put down and buried by the authorities. He's not allowed to raise any more on the property for 2 years.  We had been hearing of quite a few similar cases around the Province prior to this. 

The farmer received some cash compensation from the government.

( Personally, while sorry for the farmer, I'm happy the pigs are no longer in the vicinity) 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Several pigs have flown quarantine before the results of their 5 - 7 day ASF test results were delivered.

The authorities are asking the public for their help in hunting down these "foreign" swine.

Hope you are not having a pig in a poke at Nigerian swine fever.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's been here since last year... now that pork prices have spiked they can't cover it up anymore.

And I think the Swine Flue has been in Thailand for some time already.

If indeed that is true, why has it not been notified earlier to the OIE

Isnt Swine Flu up there along with Foot and Mouth as a notifiable Animal disease, due to its mortality rate, and transmissibility.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Several pigs have flown quarantine before the results of their 5 - 7 day ASF test results were delivered.

The authorities are asking the public for their help in hunting down these "foreign" swine.

Well, it is the AFRICAN Swine Fever, not the THAI Swine Fever....  ????

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

And I think the Swine Flue has been in Thailand for some time already.

If indeed that is true, why has it not been notified earlier to the OIE

Isnt Swine Flu up there along with Foot and Mouth as a notifiable Animal disease, due to its mortality rate, and transmissibility.

If you look at this article from 2019, it seems like it would be almost impossible for Thailand to avoid the Swine fever.

in 2019 it was in countries next to Thailand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/06/millions-of-pigs-culled-across-asia-african-swine-fever-spreads-thailand-

Commercial pig farmers have their herds tested (and destroyed as needed) all the time... just as all chickens have salmonella, and commercial flocks are tested regularly (and destroyed when certain strains are detected). SOP. What we  should be worried about are the herds and flocks that dont get proper testing regularly.

I hope the culling is humane.  Pigs really get treated badly from birth to death in factory farms.  Very little to no animal welfare in developing countries.  

I've seen footage of mass culling of pigs scooped up by excavators, dumped in pits, gasoline sprayed over them and set on fire alive (cannot recall the country - possibly China?).  The screams were horrific.  I truly hope the culling is humane and not done like this or some other efficient torturous death, but I have doubts.  

Edited by aussienam
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Commercial pig farmers have their herds tested (and destroyed as needed) all the time... just as all chickens have salmonella, and commercial flocks are tested regularly (and destroyed when certain strains are detected). SOP. What we  should be worried about are the herds and flocks that dont get proper testing regularly.

Or...simply cook your meat properly.  How did the world exist before regulations ?

• Like 1