what to do ?

Meat Pie 47

I am realy getting peed of with windows updates, any so and many days it updates my laptop, after the so called update, it takes a long time to restart my laptop and after the update I lose my internet connection when I need it most, it happens twice this week I am running windows 10 how to stop the useless updates forever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

I think you can turn off the automatic updates and just ignore the pending updates.

Then make sure you have a good security/anti-virus system, and keep that updated.

I have a good anti virus system and I disabled the updates before but after restoring my system for other problems it came back

I always delay updates for the maximum amount possible (you never know if an "update" actually may have some bugs). BUT as someone else says updates (especially security updates) are meant to try to keep you safe. If you want more control over windows try Winaero Tweaker.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I think you can turn off the automatic updates and just ignore the pending updates.

Then make sure you have a good security/anti-virus system, and keep that updated.

Windows Defender in W10 is a good system.

6 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

If you want more control over windows try Winaero Tweaker.

And which user has enough knowledge and time to decide how they tweak their Windows?

I work with computers and it's my job to have at least an overview what is going on. I don't want to be the first person who installs updates and I look at news about updates which cause problems. So it is likely that I will avoid at least some problematic updates.

But there is always a compromise between letting Windows updates fix security holes and possible new problems. And some of those new problems only happen in configurations which exist seldom. It is very unlikely that all problems are reported in the first week or so. And then we have to decide what we do and what we don't do.

That is a very difficult job and definitely not something a "normal user" should decide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And which user has enough knowledge and time to decide how they tweak their Windows?

I work with computers and it's my job to have at least an overview what is going on. I don't want to be the first person who installs updates and I look at news about updates which cause problems. So it is likely that I will avoid at least some problematic updates.

But there is always a compromise between letting Windows updates fix security holes and possible new problems. And some of those new problems only happen in configurations which exist seldom. It is very unlikely that all problems are reported in the first week or so. And then we have to decide what we do and what we don't do.

That is a very difficult job and definitely not something a "normal user" should decide.

i build machines often see my post above
i use that on all machines, very handy.

• Like 1

I agree with ROBBLOK, Win10 is not updating every week.   Do you have a legal copy you bought yourself?

Anyway, open CONTROL PANEL==>Programs==>Programs and Features==>View Installed Updates (left hand column).  You will get a list.  I have a total of 59 updates but only 8 Windows updates, the last ones in October 2021.   The other 51 updates are for Adobe Acrobat Pro, MS Office, etc.

You might google Windows 10 updates and check for yourself what you have have set up.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Updates.jpg

1 hour ago, patman30 said:

hence i provided the source????....like <deleted>?
which has a link to the source code on github so you can review ALL the code should you wish.

Thanks

But I think that confirms my point from above. To be able to make an informed decision then it would be necessary that a knowable person reviews that code. Who has time for that and does that?

So without spending that time the question is for a normal user: Do I trust Microsoft more or that link which I found in that forum?

Personally I know MS is not perfect. But they are pretty good so normally I follow their advice. 

I also don't want Windows updating whenever it feels like it. I use a tiny free program called Windows Update Blocker. It disables automatic updating with a single click. I switch it back on every six months or so to catch up all the updates (and after I've done a backup of my system in case I want to roll back).

• Haha 1

As OneMoreFarang said, maybe you just need to give the machine longer to do the updates.

I remember a while ago I had a similar problem.  The updates were taking a long time, so I thought the machine was frozen and I would restart the machine and start the whole process over again,  I did this a few times.  On the last attempt, I went to bed and left the updates running and in the morning they were installed.  It just took way longer than I thought.  It was an old laptop with a low powered processor, but it got there in the end.  What CPU has your machine got?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

But I think that confirms my point from above. To be able to make an informed decision then it would be necessary that a knowable person reviews that code. Who has time for that and does that?

So without spending that time the question is for a normal user: Do I trust Microsoft more or that link which I found in that forum?

Personally I know MS is not perfect. But they are pretty good so normally I follow their advice. 

you must see about 1% of the software in the wild????
do you not have security ?
its really not difficult to keep a machine clean????

10 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

Have you considered that it may be your good anti virus system causing the problems? As one more farang says Windows Defender and the occasional scan with Malware Bytes Free should be enough to keep you laptop safe.

Also when you have updates turned off and then turned on there is going to be a lot of catching up to be done.

As for slowness on restart have you thought of investing in an SSD

SSD made all the difference for me. I used to be afraid to turn off my old laptop for some of the same reasons the OP described. My new laptop with an SSD is like night and day with the old. it starts in seconds, and updates load quick. 

• Like 1