Engine seize

Woof999

Finding a competent honest economic garage here is the same tortuous trial as sourcing a good builder. It’s bloody difficult. Recall using 2-3 dealer garages here in Phuket for servicing my used Beetle before finding “the one”.

Being a Make Main Dealer seems to have made no difference for OP and didn’t in case of my Vespa where I switched to a non- dealer after the main dealer performed poorly on a routine service. Had just a single overworked mechanic !

I concluded these Main Dealers were simply not interested in Servicing only Selling.Main Dealer still being used by OP after 117 kms to maintain Warranty ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Finding a competent honest economic garage here is the same tortuous trial as sourcing a good builder. It’s bloody difficult. Recall using 2-3 dealer garages here in Phuket for servicing my used Beetle before finding “the one”.

Being a Make Main Dealer seems to have made no difference for OP and didn’t in case of my Vespa where I switched to a non- dealer after the main dealer performed poorly on a routine service. Had just a single overworked mechanic !

I concluded these Main Dealers were simply not interested in Servicing only Selling.Main Dealer still being used by OP after 117 kms to maintain Warranty ? 

Used the same dealer for all work just out of convenience and laziness. Their prices had never made me fall over and the work seemed at least competent (before now). Whatever happens I'm likely to buy a new car (or a nearly new) in the next few month and just get whatever I can back from this one.

Strangely enough, last year we spent 3 hours arguing the crazy interest % at Toyota on a new Fortuner Legender, with the Pajera as deposit. When about to sign the forms they finally discovered they didn't have any and it would be at least 3 months before they did, so kept the Pajero.

20 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

The above paragraph reveals the lack of proper maintenance resulted in your engine's failure. Suggesting that the dealers failure (3 days before) to check the oil level, should make them responsible is asinine, when by your own admission you hadn't checked it for a "few months". 

There's a big difference between checking oil plus topping it up, and changing the oil.

No matter how good the oil is, its lubrication qualities are usually defunct after 20-30 thousand kilometres, and the result is accelerated wear.

IME modern engines will last for 350 - 400 thousand kilometres, even more for taxis that are running hot all the time. An engine that pegs out at 117,000 km is either extremely unlucky, or far more likely the result of sheer neglect.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Woof999 said:

As I mentioned, my only real beef is that I believe a main dealer should check and advise on oil levels at every visit regardless.

That's not his responsibility if you haven't specifically asked him to do it as any work done on a car by a dealer is chargeable (labour).  Their techs do not work free and I doubt that you would be happy with even a small bill for checking the oil if you hadn't asked for it to be done.   

Your belief should be that you check the engine oil regularly yourself before it turns into tar and also get the car serviced when specified.  

Don't make a show of yourself by complaining to the manufacturer that the dealer didn't do a job you didn't ask him to do.

14 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Dealers make much more money from servicing and repairs than selling the cars, that's why a dealer that you take the car to for service will never suggest that you use the dealer that sold the car in the first place instead.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Dealers make much more money from servicing and repairs than selling the cars, that's why a dealer that you take the car to for service will never suggest that you use the dealer that sold the car in the first place instead.

Interesting. Based on transaction volume with heavy parts & Labour mark up I suppose but have to work much harder and maintain servicing & repair reputation for high turnover. Even under Warranty , Owners could go to other approved dealers for servicing / repair.

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I do not think this is true in Thailand. 

Just now, Yellowtail said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I do not think this is true in Thailand. 

I know that it is true here.

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Dude does not have the vehicle serviced until the oil turns to tar and then blames someone else when engine blows. 

The dealer should do what you ask them to do. 

Was Serviced but Work not done & not checked or pre-controlled in detail by Owner. ”Should” a world away from “ Does” here….. Builders, Mechanics, Electricians;  Buyer must assume all will, without intense close control,  shortcut & degrade the Work to death,  at lowest cost / time to Seller, to get to final payment and on way to cheat the next mug.. TIT.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not his responsibility if you haven't specifically asked him to do it as any work done on a car by a dealer is chargeable (labour).  Their techs do not work free and I doubt that you would be happy with even a small bill for checking the oil if you hadn't asked for it to be done.   

Your belief should be that you check the engine oil regularly yourself before it turns into tar and also get the car serviced when specified.  

Don't make a show of yourself by complaining to the manufacturer that the dealer didn't do a job you didn't ask him to do.

Classic misapplication of western standards & practices to here…… Buyer Beware TIT.

• Like 1

Every week I check the oil level, water, windscreen washer water, in my

vehicles , it's a routine  and sensible thing to do , If they are in for a service

I also check the oil level BEFORE I leave the service station , just to make

sure they have changed the oil, that the level is correct (always higher),

and its fresh oil, you never know , the mechanic might have been pulled

off your job ,came back and forgot to fill it with oil. it's happened,

It only takes a few minutes every week ,and could save you a lot of

money in repairs, I also check the battery levels , and fill with distilled

water when necessary.

Just the other day my wife took my daughters motorbike in to get the

oil changed, and the guy changing it said there was hardly any oil left

in it, ! , I know nothing about motorbikes or how you can check oil

level in one,  I can check the oil level in the Honda strimmer , as it has little

twist off cap  with dipstick attached. is there one on a motorbike ?

Regards Worgeordie 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Woof999 said:

On Friday of last week we took our SUV into the main dealer (that we have used many times) to diagnose and fix a problem with engine power under load and at speeds > 70kph (likely fuel starvation).

You took the car in for them to check a problem with the engine.

That they didn’t check the engine highlights that they didn’t do their job. You had already highlighted a specific issue whereby an oil check is is essential to the troubleshooting process. 

15 hours ago, Woof999 said:

As I mentioned, my only real beef is that I believe a main dealer should check and advise on oil levels at every visit regardless.

Has your car been serviced at the same garage every time? even when under its initial warranty ?

The fact is - you have taken your car in to fix a problem and this garage has not done that. They have then attempted to deflect their failure and incompetence and blame you. 

Op: This is not your fault - thats why we take our cars into the garages in the first place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

Was Serviced but Work not done & not checked or pre-controlled in detail by Owner. ”Should” a world away from “ Does” here….. Builders, Mechanics, Electricians;  Buyer must assume all will, without intense close control,  shortcut & degrade the Work to death,  at lowest cost / time to Seller, to get to final payment and on way to cheat the next mug.. TIT.

It was not serviced

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which they didn’t do. 

He asked them to fix a problem with the engine.... They fixed everything thing else and return the car. 

They didn’t check the oil, which is part of the engine. The engine seized ‘after’ they returned the car. 

Incorrect He asked them to "diagnose and fix a problem with engine power under load and at speeds > 70kph (likely fuel starvation"

There are many videos that all indicated that as part of low power under load

you check  multiple items ranging from fuel pump,spark plugs air filter, fuel filter

no check of engine oil required

https://cartreatments.com/car-losing-power-when-accelerating/

The op mentions that his car was overdue a service now if he had asked the garage to do a service at the same time then the engine oil would have been checked

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Incorrect He asked them to "diagnose and fix a problem with engine power under load and at speeds > 70kph (likely fuel starvation"

you check  multiple items ranging from fuel pump,spark plugs air filter, fuel filter

The op mentions that his car was overdue a service now if he had asked the garage to do a service at the same time then the engine oil would have been checked

And the OP never said if they fixed the problem or not, or that there was a charge. 

And given the OP knew the car needed service, why did the OP not have it done at the same time he had it diagnosed? 

I guessing the OP just took it in to get a free diagnosis, 

Like trans says, it does not add up. 

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:
26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which they didn’t do. 

He asked them to fix a problem with the engine.... They fixed everything thing else and return the car. 

They didn’t check the oil, which is part of the engine. The engine seized ‘after’ they returned the car. 

Expand  

A vehicles Power comes from the ENGINE.....   

Are you implying that you as a mechanic would not check the oil when someone brings the car in with an ‘engine problem / Power Problem’ ???

The real question anyone should be asking is under any circumstances why wouldn’t the engine oil be checked. 

Its the same as going to a hospital because you are easily out of breath and them not checking your blood-pressure. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A vehicles Power comes from the ENGINE.....   

Are you implying that you as a mechanic would not check the oil when someone brings the car in with an ‘engine problem / Power Problem’ ???

The real question anyone should be asking is under any circumstances why wouldn’t the engine oil be checked. 

Its the same as going to a hospital because you are easily out of breath and them not checking your blood-pressure. 

The question that needs to be asked if the op was experiencing "engine power under load and at speeds > 70kph (likely fuel starvation"

why didn't he check the engine oil before taking it to the garage after all if it was low engine oil and he topped up the engine oil and it cured the problem he was having

The op indicated that he thought it was (likely fuel starvation"

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport slow acceleration causes and how to fix it

https://www.wheelsjoint.com/mitsubishi-pajero-sport-slow-acceleration-causes-and-how-to-fix-it/

Once again no mention of checking engine oil

Most people complain when a garage carry out extra work or work that hasn't been approved by them and the garage wants to charge for it