Unexpected Cars

Nice ride smile.png and the 6 is the best option, the V12 was a bit disapointing and needed lots of care. 6 pot was used a lot in drag racing years back but did have a problem with cracks between cylinders on the 4.2 but you won't be going there eh. smile.png

now i can relax. TransAm has spoken thumbsup.gif

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice ride smile.png and the 6 is the best option, the V12 was a bit disapointing and needed lots of care. 6 pot was used a lot in drag racing years back but did have a problem with cracks between cylinders on the 4.2 but you won't be going there eh. smile.png

now i can relax. TransAm has spoken thumbsup.gif

friend of mine who owns a V12 since years has been bitching since then "you need two V12 "Es" because one is always in the workshop.

• 1 month later...

Not in any Tescos I've been to for a while.......Seat Leon Cupra R, recently voted the best hot hatch of all time.

Not a Cupra R its an FR. Not so้ good. I had a mk 1 Cupra R back home, bright yellow 265 bhp........oh, happy days.....

• 3 weeks later...

Who says its owned by a thai?

The plate numbers. wink.png Only thais who pay extra for numbers which include 9 and 8.coffee1.gif

Perhaps a Thai lady? Hmm I never heard about a woman driving a Hummer but maybe she got feed up with crazy male drivers on the road and bought this thing.

Who says its owned by a thai?

The plate numbers. wink.png Only thais who pay extra for numbers which include 9 and 8.coffee1.gif

Perhaps a Thai lady? Hmm I never heard about a woman driving a Hummer but maybe she got feed up with crazy male drivers on the road and bought this thing.

it was parked before a beauty salon, so I think your assumption would be right... wink.png

There is a Triumph Mayflower (mid to late '50s I guess) parked at a house on a soi between Tha Pai Road and Loy Kroh (CM)

Looks to be in good condition. Iconic for the sharp edge styling that went against all the curvy bulbous cars of the era.

• 1 month later...

There is a man in Bangkok who is very good at building replicas of almost any supercar you want. I saw what looked like a McLaren SLR 722 last year in Khu Bon Rd. Could have sworn is was the real thing.

I forgot his name, but there was an article on CNNGo about him some years ago, IIRC.

Caught a glimce of what l thought was one of these up here in the boonies. The front end was the same for sure. If it were a kit car it was very good, but sure the colour scheme was the same.

post-41816-0-46865600-1346484430_thumb.j

If it were a real Bugatti, image the cost w00t.gif

Maybe it was a straggler from the gumball rally or something similar.

Naam "there are still a few small things to be rectified" Trust me, you will be saying that 3 years from now! rolleyes.gif I still luv em but.

The first time I hit 150mph on 4 wheels was in a 4.2 E type back in 1969. Unfortunately I wasn't the driver, my cousin (the owner) was. sad.png

Can you get them registered ?

The replica cars? Yes. If the body work is on an existing chassis, it is no problem. Many are built on the A31 Cefiro chassis.

Sorry I'd forgotten I'd posted on this thread. Thanks.

Can you put a car body on a pick up chassis and get it registered ? And can you upgrade the engine and suspension ? How far can you push this ?

The replica cars? Yes. If the body work is on an existing chassis, it is no problem. Many are built on the A31 Cefiro chassis.

Can you put a car body on a pick up chassis and get it registered ? And can you upgrade the engine and suspension ? How far can you push this ?

I don't know why you would want to put a car body on a pick chassis. The ride is terrible.

Besides that, you are crossing the line between passenger car and pick up. That would probably not be accepted.

Different taxation.

You can put basically any engine in you want and get it registered, but you have to have a bill of sale with the engine number on it. This is to prove that it is not a stolen engine or illegally imported, as in no tax paid.

Suspension you can change. You mean coil overs and such?

I don't know why you would want to put a car body on a pick chassis. The ride is terrible.

Besides that, you are crossing the line between passenger car and pick up. That would probably not be accepted.

Different taxation.

You can put basically any engine in you want and get it registered, but you have to have a bill of sale with the engine number on it. This is to prove that it is not a stolen engine or illegally imported, as in no tax paid.

Suspension you can change. You mean coil overs and such?

The point of using a pick up chassis is just so you can lift the body off and put a new one on (strengthening added obviously) and not have to worry about messing with a monocoque. Rear wheel drive, room to change to various engines.

When most the car is going to be scrapped using an old pick up would maybe be financially better.

The tax classes as you say is what I'm thinking would stop this, maybe insurance as well. Can you pay a fee to change classification ?

Suspension changes ideally would be to get rid of the cart springs and link the axle instead, most likely using coil overs. Maybe a wider axle.

On the front if possible rewelding the mounting points and/or using fabricated or other vehicle links. Changing to discs if it has drums on the front.

It looks like the guy in the video is who I've seen advertising a Ferrari 330 replica in the secondhand car magazines.

Did I hear it right, "Chris doesn't know is this is above or below the law " ?

I've seen a thread on here before about someone wanting to rebody a beetle. Anyone know how he got on ?

That sounds like a lot of work and hassle with the Land Transport Department. It will also be quite heavy.

Not sure what kind of build you have in mind.

Just get an A31 Cefiro or old Toyota Crown or some other older sedan. They are both rear wheel drive and have a big aftermarket.

• 3 weeks later...