Temporary red car license plate restrictions.

bkkdriller

On 1/26/2022 at 6:26 PM, Moonlover said:

Just by chance I've been watching the license renewal training video from DLT which states 30 days and not more than 3,000kms. Nothing was said about out of province or nighttime driving.

When I bought a new truck with red plates, I new full well that I should not drive after dark or out of state, I did not agree with that law so I just broke it.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When I bought a new truck with red plates, I new full well that I should not drive after dark or out of state, I did not agree with that law so I just broke it.

I'll be watching out for you the next time you criticize some Thai for infringing traffic rules. ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'll be watching out for you the next time you criticize some Thai for infringing traffic rules. ????

Infringing traffic rules is costing peoples lives and well being, driving after dark and out of province is not affecting anyone, well unless some Somchai is riding his motorbike in the dark without lights and I hit him, but then that will he his fault, not mine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Awwww noooo...,....  Another red plate thread.....   

There is one thing we must be thankful for....  Without the red plates there wont be any reason for someone to post a comment that they (owners of cars with red plates) are showing off that they have a new car !!! ????

The pickup I purchased mid last year, was annoyed after two weeks the stealership called me to say the white plates are ready.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Infringing traffic rules is costing peoples lives and well being, driving after dark and out of province is not affecting anyone, well unless some Somchai is riding his motorbike in the dark without lights and I hit him, but then that will he his fault, not mine.

Potentially, riding on red plates out of state will give the BIB and excuse to prosecute you instead of the motorcycle rider...... Even though we all agree he would be in the wrong.

Farang are usually in the wrong, even when we are not..... Just like being married.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I'd love to be a 'fly on the wall' listening to you trying to explain your illegal presence on the road to the traffic police after such an incident. And whilst you're at it, try proving that the rear light wasn't working before the impact. 

• Haha 1

The red plate - in essence - is a plate for garagists and car dealers to move around cars from A to B (one workshop to another - or factory to showroom) without going through the usual paperwork of registration and ownership. In other countries they have a special marking, a prefix etc. 

With the red plate in Thailand comes a brown registration book and, if done strictly according to the rules, you would have to enter each and every trip into this book whenever you drive somewhere. In practice this is not done as the Thais have, as usual, overcomplicated things by entering, each and every time, the engine and frame number as well as other details of the car. Would make sense as the book/plates can be used on different cars even during one day but, as said, impractical and nobody gives a rats ....... You may NOT leave the province (i.e. a red "Bangkok" plate may be used only within Bangkok), not after dark and not on weekends/holidays. In all practicality usually nothing happens unless a boy in brown needs some beer money for "after work". 

The registration of a brand new car is done in 45 minutes after which you walk out with brand new plates and the blue car registration book - at least in Nong Khai. In other places, like Khon Kaen, it takes three working days - for whatever reason. Worst place is Udon Thani, where it takes bloody six hours to change the ownership of a car (not the plates, just the ownership) as the physical inspection of the cars goes slower than snail pace. Equally bad was Korat/Nakorn Ratchasima some years back when trying to pay the road tax. 

If your dealer takes 45 days, then he is lying through his teeth but as it might be a contractual obligation previously agreed you can only either collect the original paperwork from the manufacturer and do the job yourself ........ or wait 45 days. If you had to leave a security deposit for the red plates, ensure a refund OR do not return the plates and the brown book which will put the dealership into trouble. 

After almost 40 years in the realm I can tell you, based on my own personal experience, that you want to do this yourself in places like Nong Khai or Morchit (head office Bangkok) yet avoid Korat or Udon Thani - where you let the dealer's staff do the queueing, standing around and poking noses until those DLT-officers move and do their job. 

Whatever you chose/do, dont forget the insurance aspect and you're well advised to have a voluntary 1st class insurance. This means to get coverage onto your red (temporary) plates and lateron a policy amendment to your permanent plates. Good luck and drive safely ???? 

The delay is with the dealer. 

Reason being that he doesn’t want to pay the tax on the vehicle and/or wants to register several cars at the same time.

MrsJ does the registration herself. Tells the dealer that she wants the ‘paperwork’ so that she can do it. Sometimes takes her two days to get the paperwork.

At the LTO you can pre reserve a number by showing them the order form for the vehicle. Numbers are released in blocks. Then you just hang on to the red plate until the number becomes available… get caught, you pay the fine…..or stick any number on and change it later…

16 minutes ago, Henryford said:

If you buy a Merc or a BMW you get to keep the red plate forever.  Just to prove how important you are.

No you lie… from where I’m sitting I can see one with a white plate  ????… but I agree many do keep it as long as possible and sometimes sell it still red plated.

19 hours ago, Lammbock said:

Wile the car registration is under process, can I get a document from the dealer that I could show to the police officer that registration is under process?

Well kind of, if you get a legitimate red plate with your new vehicle you will get a log book with it that needs to be filled in, so this shows that you are following the correct process.

You should also be able to show the receipt for your white plate, you pay a deposit to the dealer which is returned when you get your white plate.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, HarryWho said:

We bought a new Ford Explorer in Bangkok in November from a Ford dealer.  Still no white plates.  I have driven it to some different provinces without knowing that was an issue.  I have gone through dozens of check points, which could have been trouble because we were outside of our home province.  I don't drive it at night.  My Thai wife bought the truck in her name, I am Farang, and I am the only driver.  I hate the red plates, precisely because it says "steal me, I am brand new".  I want the white plates!  I see that going to the DLT was recommended.  I guess I will try that next.  Is it the dealer or buyers responsibility to acquire the white plates?  The dealer keeps saying they are working on it.  Thanks for this thread, I will look back at some of the older threads too.

3 months to the day, we got notice that the white plates are "in the mail".  They sent a picture of the plates and the blue book.  Woohoo!  We have been calling them once a week.

7 hours ago, HarryWho said:

3 months to the day, we got notice that the white plates are "in the mail".  They sent a picture of the plates and the blue book.  Woohoo!  We have been calling them once a week.

You will have had to pay a deposit for the Red Plates, so dont forget to return them with the Bown Book, and get your money back. 

On 2/3/2022 at 9:16 AM, LennyW said:
On 2/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, Lammbock said:

Wile the car registration is under process, can I get a document from the dealer that I could show to the police officer that registration is under process?

Well kind of, if you get a legitimate red plate with your new vehicle you will get a log book with it that needs to be filled in, so this shows that you are following the correct process.

You should also be able to show the receipt for your white plate, you pay a deposit to the dealer which is returned when you get your white plate.

Back around 2011 when the first big white plate shortage took place and red plate quotas were already used up, the dealership provided me with a letter saying it was my truck. This was after some random harassment while commuting between Isaan and Bangkok. The worst one was a cop on the exit ramp at Ploenchit/Sukhumvit who claimed regardless of the letter, he could seize my un-plated vehicle right their and then if I didn't hand over thousands of baht. We sweated it out, well he did as I was inside my locked truck with engine running and aircon on while he had to direct traffic around me but kept coming back to see if I had changed my mind on giving him a donation. Wasted about 8 minutes of my life before he banged on the window and told me to eff off.

A letter can only be as strong as the hunger in the pit of the policeman's stomach.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...