Is the 2nd night of quarantine on the SQA++ program a real deal breaker?

spidermike007

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The nation may change its policies quickly. One can only hope for some maturity. But, will the tourists return? I think Thailand is not only being forgotten, but moving backwards on a dozen different levels. 

I dearly hope not because I know some very lovely people who work in the small hotel industry and depend on it. The salt of the country that brought in those millions of tourists. They've had a really desperate time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I feel the same way. I realize I am highly critical of the officials, but I dearly love most non governmental Thai people. Alot are great. I hate to see them suffer. And millions will remain out of work for years, if tourism does not recover. 

I have been taken into some of their homes, have become friends with one family, and been invited to their weddings and ordinations ... they've given me both friendship and trust, as well as a real grass roots window on the country without having to mess around with bar girls. (Although I did a bit of that to begin with but soon found it all quite boring to be honest.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Virt said:

A colleague of mine takes the risk and goes to Thailand this month,

but she told me her friends were not that lucky this week.

Negative PCR tests before flight, negative tests on arrival in Thailand and then the 3rd test days later came back positive for one of them, so they could kiss their holiday goodbye.

Test on arrival is a show stopper, plus there is a good chance that the positive test

is a result of getting covid in Thailand.

If they had caught Omicron in their home country there would be a good chance

that their first test on arrival would return positive, since Omicron grows up to 70 x faster than Delta in the bronchial tissue.

So i'm not buying any tickets to Thailand until they drop the demand for tests.

Not even going to accept a pre flight PCR test.

So maybe it will take quite some time before i return to Thailand, but it is what it is.

There are other countries that just accept proof of vaccine so i stick to them for now.

Same here!!

1 hour ago, ryane66 said:

We left Thailand August 12th and flew to US to get a proper vaccine. We have a vacation home there. No hurry to return to Thailand. Decided to fly to Mexico January 3rd. No restrictions at all. Full of American, Canadian, and European tourists. To return to US all that is required is a negative Antigen test 24 hours prior to flight. Will stay in Mexico for 3 1/2 months before returning to US. Will wait there for sanity to return to Thailand.

You left thailand the very day they have started to do pfizer for all foreigners, which arrived 1.5mln in july and was planned for a month beforehand

Edited by internationalism

1 hour ago, sunset37 said:

I have been coming to Thailand for 20+ years for holiday.  My son is married to a woman from Udon. I was ready to arrive  on 13 jan 2022 but they suddenly restricted the Thai Pass to 10Jan 2022. I cancelled my trip. To make a long story short.  I am in the airport on my way, with my dollars, to Mexico.  It's just not worth jumping through the hoops.

T@G was never cancelled. You have just panicked. Right now i am entering on T&G issued on 22.12, second pcr test complimentary. Might even skip it if I am in a mood for fun. Nobody checks it, no qr to submit to morchana

Edited by internationalism
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ryane66 said:

We left Thailand August 12th and flew to US to get a proper vaccine. We have a vacation home there. No hurry to return to Thailand. Decided to fly to Mexico January 3rd. No restrictions at all. Full of American, Canadian, and European tourists. To return to US all that is required is a negative Antigen test 24 hours prior to flight. Will stay in Mexico for 3 1/2 months before returning to US. Will wait there for sanity to return to Thailand.

We did the same but in June.  Came back here when they started the 1 week Phuket Sandbox.  It was OK.  Got a great ocean view room for a fantastic price.  And only 1k Baht ticket back to Swampy.

I've heard Mexico is great.  Hoping to get back there later this year.  Love it there.  Might explore around Puerto Escondido, down south.

We're leaving again soon.  No fun here now.

52 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

Other than the expense, which is significant, there is the chance that you might contract covid in the 5 days that you are here? Then it's off to covid confinement for 10 days which you will pay for if not covered by your insurance.

For most people these conditions, will mean not coming to Thailand.

Several countries are just declaring it over and removing most or all restrictions. Then the tourists return.

They're relaxing the quarantine restrictions.  I know several who tested positive and are doing self quarantines.  They were pushed to go into the hospital, but refused.  No biggie.  But yes, it's an issue for travel.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tony M said:

I suspect that, as soon as they realise how much money will be lost at Songkran time, all the requirements will be ditched.  Songkran is one of the biggest money-makers of the year. So, in the next month or so, all testing and all quarantine will disappear in the greed for April income.

You're more optimistic than I.
I expect them to treat Songkran like New Years.  Official 'celebrations' will be in roped off enclaves where only those who are fully vaccinated (whatever that means by April), masked, doused in alcohol gel, and properly distanced may participate - and oh yeah - No Throwing Water.  Squirt guns and "Play Water" will still be illegal as will bars and night-time entertainment.

In my humble opinion by the time Songkran 2022 rolls around Thailand will still be under the boot of medical and bureaucratic officialdom and their insistence that the commoners 'do the right thing' and 'obey the rules.'

Personally I don't see this returning to any semblance of normal until 2025, and actually probably not even then.  In March 2020 an article in the MIT Review promised the plebs that there would be no going back to Normal. 
I have no doubt that IS the agenda.

By the way, if you read the original article, "We're not going back to normal," dated March 17th it foreshadowed exactly what happened before it happened.  Exactly.  E.g., It stated ahead of time that small businesses and the like would be destroyed.  And that's what happened.  So the folks at top have already told you that you will never see "Normal" again.  You can bet on it.
You will never see normal again:

"This isn’t a temporary disruption. It’s the start of a completely different way of life."
"Ultimately, however, I predict that we’ll restore the ability to socialize safely by developing more sophisticated ways to identify who is a disease risk and who isn’t, and discriminating—legally—against those who are."

-We’re not going back to normal, Gideon Lichfield, MIT Review

Hello Medical Apartheid.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200318161226/https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615370/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-18-months/

As to side topic of tourism - responsible for 18% gdp. From which 12% is international tourism. 
but add to it expats in a few hundred thousands, workers (some 60k teachers, as well as IT, nomads etc and rhis group can swell to a million per year in good times. 
if too many restrictions even workers will think twice, because they do have better options money wise. They come to thailand for lifestyle 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, connda said:

You're more optimistic than I.
I expect them to treat Songkran like New Years.  Official 'celebrations' will be in roped off enclaves where only those who are fully vaccinated (whatever that means by April), masked, doused in alcohol gel, and properly distanced may participate - and oh yeah - No Throwing Water.  Squirt guns and "Play Water" will still be illegal as will bars and night-time entertainment.

In my humble opinion by the time Songkran 2022 rolls around Thailand will still be under the boot of medical and bureaucratic officialdom and their insistence that the commoners 'do the right thing' and 'obey the rules.'

Personally I don't see this returning to any semblance of normal until 2025, and actually probably not even then.  In March 2020 an article in the MIT Review promised the plebs that there would be no going back to Normal. 
I have no doubt that IS the agenda.

By the way, if you read the original article, "We're not going back to normal," dated March 17th it foreshadowed exactly what happened before it happened.  Exactly.  E.g., It stated ahead of time that small businesses and the like would be destroyed.  And that's what happened.  So the folks at top have already told you that you will never see "Normal" again.  You can bet on it.
You will never see normal again:

"This isn’t a temporary disruption. It’s the start of a completely different way of life."
"Ultimately, however, I predict that we’ll restore the ability to socialize safely by developing more sophisticated ways to identify who is a disease risk and who isn’t, and discriminating—legally—against those who are."

-We’re not going back to normal, Gideon Lichfield, MIT Review

Hello Medical Apartheid.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200318161226/https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615370/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-18-months/

I don't think I was being optimistic, more like realistic.  The govt knows that they need tourism income, and they will surely realise (sometime) that tourists will probably not come in the numbers they are hoping for. They seem to be "realistic" about the arrival of several thousand American seamen in February, and are "opening" Walking Street, even though bars, go-gos, etc are still banned.  It appears that they are advising such venues to be "restaurants"  Hypocrisy (and financial greed) rules ! 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 2:24 PM, Robin said:

"Seems overly timid, highly paranoid, very controlling, and rather unnecessary"

Just about sums up Thailand under the present government.

Not the way to attract tourists, but is that what the Junta really wans?

I suggest that would be  a perfect description of Thailand under the present government by adding the word "inept"

• Like 2

Deal breaker.

Don't forget that you'll be out and about interacting with people who may/or may not have covid between the 1st quarantine test and 2nd quarantine test. If the 2nd test comes back positive,... game over. More time in quarantine and a whole lot more money out the window. Now that would be a vacation worth remembering. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 11:22 AM, GeorgeCross said:

what i don't understand is why thailand tightens its policy when numbers are high in country and loosens when the numbers go down!

shouldn't that be the other way around? i mean keep covid out when thailand is very low on cases not let them flood in.. and vice versa lol

or maybe this whole policy is nothing to do with health at all and more about optics.. ????

More about money you mean.

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

They’ve kept a not very bright,poorly educated and inward looking populous sufficiently nationalistic that they don’t appreciate how self inflicted this destruction of their tourist industry is. 

I disagree with 'not bright', but many are deliberately poorly educated because they can't escape the government school system which deliberately poorly educates.

A friend sent me a picture of her daughter's first day at school - this 4 year old kid's first lesson was to 'graap' at her class teacher's feet.

That's what they teach without even blushing.

Does anyone on this forum want anyone at all, let alone a kid, to grovel at their feet?

Edited by BusyB

On 1/30/2022 at 6:19 AM, peter zwart said:

Your posting misinformation: If its information that you dont want to read/hear its maybe misinformation for you but its already proven that the the vaccine losing its power dramaticly after a few months. No matter which one. 

Get the jab and get us out of this mess.  Or stay home.: 

Non of the above. Get a life.

It is more likely that it is you who is posting mis information, mainly may I suggest because you have only read those bits of the reports that suit your personal agenda.

Tests have proven that over time those who have only had two vaccinations are showing signs that the said vaccine is losing it’s efficacy, however those who have had a booster vaccine different from the first two are maintaining high levels of protection.

There have been suggestions that we all may need a second booster but that has now been discredited, with research now considering an annual jab similar to the Flu jab, but the rise of Omicron and it’s considerably lower risk of serious illness may only be useful for those with underlying serious illness and the elderly.

For myself I have been a volunteer in the Oxford Astra Zeneca research programme for the last 18 months which involves monthly swab test and giving blood which is tested for Covid anti bodies, ( I have another today ) each and every time my tests have returned Negative results with a high level of antibodies which have remained consistent throughout. 
So may I suggest to you that you try to read ALL of the reports you allude to as it will give you considerable peace of mind when you know and understand the truth.

Stop believing the fake news it is crippling the recovery

Get ALL three vaccines and get us out of this mess so that we can start to live again

6 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

Myself

For most people these conditions, will mean not coming to Thailand.

Several countries are just declaring it over and removing most or all restrictions. Then the tourists return.

Myself included!!

• Like 1