Thailand saved my life.

Top man

23 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Belgravia W1 pied a terre, prestigious cardboard box outside Waitrose

£1000 per week.  You can live in stye in the UK cheaply.  50p deposit.

Yeah but Waitrose are charging 50p for carrier bags these days. That's your deposit written off ????

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Sad 1

Your post has hit a nerve with me (British and from London).....I've been here since 2008 almost permanently.....I've done the full works, been tucked up in the first 5 years and lost a few quid to some nutter.

I almost lost faith in Thailand in 2012, but hanged in there, roll on 10 years....fantastic wife, 2 lovely kids and just bought our own house (yes, before you lot start, her house...but I'm knocking on now and don't care, have houses in UK!) and our plan was all to move back to the UK. 

In recent months, I've really enjoyed being here (taken a while) and thinking of putting our plans on moving back to the UK as a family, on hold for a while.

Just seems the UK isn't what I left in 2008! 

I think the only positives for me moving to the UK, is for the free (good) education for my young kids and the NHS for me, one day! 

It is "swings and roundabouts"....we will make the move and I'm curious to see how long I get sick of the UK!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thanks for the positive, affirmative  post. There are lots of sincere posts on this forum from people who sincerly hate Thais and Thailand.

Very true - -  and I don't thank people for spreading negativity... sometimes it can affect others... in a negative way.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Why come all the way here from the UK to 'end it all'? top yerself at home and save the airfare ????

Also, other than using Helium, from canisters meant for party balloons, is there any other better way?

I agree:  If one has the energy to travel so far around the world to get here, then why not use this energy to prolong one's existence?

Oh, I get it.

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury.

Signifying nothing.

Until the last syllable of recorded time, even!

So, then, why go on?

Answer:  Peach Trees

597136533_LifeisaPeach.jpg.585b2bdf6312cab8cc46e3ac0a3eb23c.jpg

Life is a Peach

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also, other than using Helium, from canisters meant for party balloons, is there any other better way?

I agree:  If one has the energy to travel so far around the world to get here, then why not use this energy to prolong one's existence?

Oh, I get it.

Signifying nothing.

So, then, why go on?

Life is a Peach

Van Gogh struggled.

Therefore, why shouldn't you?

1 hour ago, falang1969 said:

Your post has hit a nerve with me (British and from London).....I've been here since 2008 almost permanently.....I've done the full works, been tucked up in the first 5 years and lost a few quid to some nutter.

I almost lost faith in Thailand in 2012, but hanged in there, roll on 10 years....fantastic wife, 2 lovely kids and just bought our own house (yes, before you lot start, her house...but I'm knocking on now and don't care, have houses in UK!) and our plan was all to move back to the UK. 

In recent months, I've really enjoyed being here (taken a while) and thinking of putting our plans on moving back to the UK as a family, on hold for a while.

Just seems the UK isn't what I left in 2008! 

I think the only positives for me moving to the UK, is for the free (good) education for my young kids and the NHS for me, one day! 

It is "swings and roundabouts"....we will make the move and I'm curious to see how long I get sick of the UK!

We've paid into the NHS all our working lives. 

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

What a nice person. C'mon then, tell us all where you're from so we can have a laugh.

Nothing to do with being nice. I find you Brits in Thailand the biggest hypocrites. You all complain about a nanny state and council tax, but as soon as something happens in Thailand you're quick to set up GoFundMe me and fly back to mother England for some NHS treatment.

Meanwhile if Thailand was so great he could be earning a living here. Someone replied to me he has a UK cab license, not Thai one. 

Thai cab license. Are you having a ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChC1 said:

Although I like Thailand, but I appreciate following things in UK:

1, I appreciate that when I cross the road, there is almost 95% guarantee that cars will stop for me in crossing

2, I appreciate that when I dislike one party, I can vote another one in next election, although both are corrupted yet they have the right to oppose each other in key issues. And thank goodness they do so lots of corruption was exposed.

3, I appreciate every time I return to UK I can use the E-gate without the worry that the immigration officer might want a tip.

4, I appreciate in London airport as Brit I never queue hours for immigration

5, I appreciate that if I am ill I can always get free treatment although the waitlist can be frustrating

6, I appreciate that if I want a drink or a chat with mate there is always a pub in walking distance although the choice is now rather limited.

7, I appreciate that if I had a bad service in a hotel or restaurant I can write a review without worrying being put in prison.

8, I appreciate the fact that when I feel down or even have suicidal thought I always have a hot line of a charity to talk to.

9, I appreciate that the British ambulance service is top notch

10, I appreciate that I can drink any time any where without worrying about what happened to a certain family and now the bars had to stop serving for few days.

11, I appreciate that I can get a job in UK with the help of JobCentrePlus if I need (which i don't for obvious reasons)

12, I appreciate I can curse the queen any time or look down at Prince Harry and call Meghan MeAgain without any consequences.

13, I appreciate I don't have neighbour that would cut my head if I played my music too loud at 9pm. Normally a friendly reminder would do.

14, I appreciate when I watch TV I don't need to jump through hundred channels and 30 different languages before I find proper British shows.

15, I appreciate when I browse internet there is no 404 or censored contents.

16, ...... 

There is no perfect place to live. But there is always silver linings in different places. The key is to appreciate what you have got, and try to understand what may cause you harm and displeasure. Learn to live with the imperfections, while enjoy the most of the near perfections.

All that and yet many of us still prefer Thailand. One wonders just how Britain got it so wrong that people would rather live anywhere than there ( except people from <deleted> countries that are even worse ).

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Oh, I get it.

Signifying nothing.

So, then, why go on?

Life is a Peach

Life is a Peach

Only for some.

If I finally decided to really go for it, I'd take every cent I have and go to Thailand to enjoy however many days I could afford.

Sometimes, living where I do, it's just a long protracted death from a multitude of problems none of which can be fixed without a lot more money than I have. At least in Thailand I was able to enjoy the wait for death.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All that and yet many of us still prefer Thailand. One wonders just how Britain got it so wrong that people would rather live anywhere than there ( except people from <deleted> countries that are even worse ).

Come on man.

Britain got nothing wrong.

You think there are millions are Brits living in Thailand?

Get serious. On the scale of the total percent of Brits in the UK to those living in Thailand, it is a very, very low percentage.

Edited by Isaanlife

Guest Isaanlife
19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, the UK has always been pretty bad ..........

We conquered half the world looking for somewhere better to live with more cooperative women.

I think the essential problem was always Brit women didn't want to have sex with us Brit men.

Did you ever figure out why not?

1 minute ago, Isaanlife said:

Come on man.

Britain got nothing wrong.

You think there are millions are Brits living in Thailand?

Get serious. On the scale of the total percent of Brits in the UK to those living in Thailand, it is a very, very low percentage.

I bet millions of Brits want to live in LOS, even if not able to.

If Britain is as great as you apparently think it is, why do you live in Thailand? I'm assuming from your username that you do.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Life is a Peach

Only for some.

If I finally decided to really go for it, I'd take every cent I have and go to Thailand to enjoy however many days I could afford.

Sometimes, living where I do, it's just a long protracted death from a multitude of problems none of which can be fixed without a lot more money than I have. At least in Thailand I was able to enjoy the wait for death.

I really do not know about waiting for death, and enjoying it.

I only know the play, "Waiting for Godot".

Why don't you read this play by Samuel Beckett, and, hopefully, the reading of this might distract you enough to see things in a better way.

But, please don't read plays like Hamlet, or Rhinoceros by Ionesco, for example.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I bet millions of Brits want to live in LOS, even if not able to.

If Britain is as great as you apparently think it is, why do you live in Thailand? I'm assuming from your username that you do.

I don't think so, there are quite a few sad and depressed single older men who dream of a heavenly existence  of alcohol and prostitutes in Thailand  , those who do make the pilgrimage to Pattaya usually end up even more bitter sad and depressed after moving to Thailand 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think so, there are quite a few sad and depressed single older men who dream of a heavenly existence  of alcohol and prostitutes in Thailand  , those who do make the pilgrimage to Pattaya usually end up even more bitter sad and depressed after moving to Thailand 

Nope, I'm living the dream ............

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great points. Thanks. I was recently back in the US, while contemplating a move to Mexico. Over 2 months in the US and Mexico, and not only am I back here, I am feeling very grateful and I got my perspective back. Many of us have very good lives here. 

Hyper inflation in the US has driven prices to an absolutely ridiculous level. Nearly everything is over priced. Especially rents and home prices. And labor is stupid expensive. A mechanic wanted to charge me $95 to "diagnose" my car. He would then tell me what it would cost to repair. I don't think so.

They are using excuses like supply chains and labor shortages. I think alot of it is price gouging. Also, customer service has gone out the window. 80 minute wait times for Verizon. Here, 30 seconds to reach True., on the phone. Overall, the quality of life in the US has declined alot. Unless you are wealthy. Then, it has declined a bit less. 

In Mexico, prices have gone up too. Still less than the US, but no bargain. And robbery, petty crime and homicides are rampant and on the rise. Something we really do not worry about much here, thankfully. But, the food is amazing in Mexico. They sure know how to properly grill fish! LOL. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No need to go to Pattaya, there are attractive women in every Thai city eager for the opportunity of meeting older men for short term or longer liaisons. All it takes is some ability to speak some Thai. Sometimes, not even that.

Sad and depressed? I was like a kid let loose in a candy shop.

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

H.P sauce, Typhoon teabags and three wine coolers for 100 Baht from a mom and pop shop is also what I dream of doing when I get older , cannot wait 

What do you imagine doing when you're a pensioner that's so much more exciting?

All the pensioners I knew back in the UK were living in fairly desperate conditions and alone.

The highlight of their day was a visit to the 'drop in' centre in the village hall.

Free tea and biscuits, and warmer than their homes ........... I dropped in a few times .........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No need to go to Pattaya, there are attractive women in every Thai city eager for the opportunity of meeting older men for short term or longer liaisons. All it takes is some ability to speak some Thai. Sometimes, not even that.

Sad and depressed? I was like a kid let loose in a candy shop.

There are also prostitutes' in most Western Countries , its just that they are cheaper in Thailand 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are also prostitutes' in most Western Countries , its just that they are cheaper in Thailand 

IME, also a damn sight more attractive in Thailand. Check out a UK telephone booth, it's a whale competition.

Great post, and one that came from the heart. As another poster commented, work hard and save harder and you can get back here and live the simple life; life is about dreams, then making that dream a reality....keep up the fight pal.