What are the THREE Most Important Thingies That ALL Incoming Western Retirees Must Master in order to Reach Nirvana in Thailand, plus Happiness & Contentment during their so-called Golden Years?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear TV-viewing Friends from the UK, North America, South America, South Africa, etc….,

Probably, many of you might know this, however I have actually lived in Asia for most of my life, after having lived for a few short years in a Western Country, not Colorado, up in the Silver Mines, among the uneducated hardworking panhandlers.

So, what might you imagine are the Three Best tools you will need, besides a gold-washing pan in order to acclimate here, for your future happiness?

aa.  Language acquisition, which you can fairly easily accomplish, if you are dedicated enough.

bb.  A nice smile, something everyone appreciates, and which is always returned, in kind.

dd. Always maintain a LOVE of the culture, here.  And, if you don’t love the culture here, then you should not come, because….without a love of this land, then you will never be happy, but only experience various degrees of bitterness, which is not good for either you or the people you meet.

cc. Just maintain some degree of youthfulness and playfulness.  The people here, for sure, enjoy playfulness, and they have a wonderful sense of humor, too.

ff.  Do what you can to maintain good health, and white teeth, without bridges or implants.  You will remain happier if you do.

The above three suggestions are just some of a few that I would recommend to any newbie coming here.  Do not fear the unknown.  And, if you are a London Hackney, for sure, you have much less to fear by coming here, as you have already faced the most fearful things during your career.

Well, there must be so many suggestions and pointers that I have forgotten.

Whom among us can even begin to list what is required to know, by the end of your retirement in Thailand, including, maybe, choosing a temple which might send you up to the sky, in a puff of smoke, which is something to consider, for some of us, as we continue to age.

You know, life is not easy, anywhere. However, life is more pleasant here, and, if you have a lot of money, live will be even easier here.

Happy Lunar New Year, my friends,

Best regards…..for sure.

Note:  I forgot the FOURTH thingie...  The Pan for Gold Panning, a requirement for you, before you arrive here....

H1097-L216811215.jpg.e3abd43242df71ef1a59b13290c81f98.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

What is Nirvana?

In Indian religions, nirvana is synonymous with moksha and mukti.[note 1] All Indian religions assert it to be a state of perfect quietude, freedom, highest happiness as well as the liberation from attachment and worldly suffering and the ending of samsara, the round of existence.[7][8] However, non-Buddhist and Buddhist traditions describe these terms for liberation differently.[9] In Hindu philosophy, it is the union of or the realization of the identity of Atman with Brahman, depending on the Hindu tradition.[10][11][12] In Jainism, nirvana is also the soteriological goal, representing the release of a soul from karmic bondage and samsara.[13] In the Buddhist context, nirvana refers to realization of non-self and emptiness, marking the end of rebirth by stilling the fires that keep the process of rebirth going.[9][14][15] To achieve this status, one has to get rid of three psychological evils – Raga (greed, desire), Dwesha (anger) and Moha (delusion).

So, I agree...

Greed is not good

Anger is not good

Delusional Thinking is not good.

These are the three things I mentioned, in the topic, above.

• Sad 1

Guest Isaanlife

You need enough money to live on and not have to worry.

If you don't have that, white teeth and gold pans are worthless.

One Additional Thingie that I wish to mention here, since I mentioned this thingie above, and wish to extrapolate on this important thingie:

aa. About 50 years ago, I had my first opportunity to ride in a true London Hackney Machine, driven by a wonderful person.

bb. Even today, after 50 years, for sure, I still recall this GREAT EXPERIENCE!

cc. London Hackney drivers are professionals, and they are SMART.

dd. What I do know is that the London Cab Drivers, of yore, were both amazingly smart, and helpful, not to mention men of good repute, in every way.

ee.  Maybe these days are already days never to be repeated; these days when you could board a cab and be treated to such a wonderful experience.

ff.  Maybe, those days have gone the same way as the Beatles, for example.

gg. So, anyway, I just wish that we could relive the days during which we could enjoy a politer society, and a society in which most of us respected those who actually read BOOKS, rather than wasting our time reading Twits posting on Twitter.

In my considered opinion, and in my wisdom after seven decades on Planet Earth:

London Cab Drivers are:

a. Helpful

b. Intuitive

c. Empathetic, regarding their fares

d. Intelligent, to the max

e. Humorous in the best respect

f. Fine fellows, well met, in every way

g.  And, so much more....

This is why, I know that London Cab Drivers will find utmost happiness and pleasure if they were to just board a plane and come here to Thailand, when they choose to retire.

I know this to be true.

London Cab Drivers, those of yore, are amazingly wonderful people.

Everybody must agree.

Why does the OP insist on using such long and verbose titles for every thread that he creates?  It upsets the formatting of the web page.

A title should be short and get straight to the point.  The body of the post is where one expands upon the topic of the title.

I have an opinion why the OP does this, but I would risk a suspension if I put this in writing....

• Like 1

First of all let us clarify that some bizarre terminology is being used here. Nirvana is a very high state of consciousness, achieved by a lifetime devoted to effective spiritual practice. It is described by Indian saints as ever conscious, ever new bliss. A constant state of joy and peace. 

So, let's dispense with the nonsense and assume you meant contentment and fulfillment.

First, never lend money to Thais, unless you really know them very well.

Second, acknowledge that Thailand is not really a foreign country, and rather a distant planet. This way, you are not always considering common sense and reason. 

Third, if you are going to get involved romantically, really take your time. If it is good, it will only get better. If she is trouble, that will reveal itself soon enough. They are usually pushing the timetable. Push back. If she walks, say good fortune to you, and move on. Lots of birds here to play with. 

Fourth, develop tons of patience, respect for the locals, and don't expect the government or immigration here to be fair, reasonable or nice. 

Fifth. Exercise a ridiculous amount of caution on the roads. 

I could go on. 

• Like 1

Also, just in order to prepare the Newbies from the West, how to settle down here, and feel content during the remainder of their days:

I would say that you must do your best to engross yourselves in your new culture, and engage the locals, and encourage them to accept you, just as you must also accept them.

I have spent most of my life in Asia, and I like it, with no regrets, so far.

Maybe, SOMEDAY, I will wake up, and find that I have mispent my life, but I doubt it.

ASIA has been so amazing to me, for years and years.

I have NO regrets.

From 1971 to 2022....so far....I have no regrets about spending my time in Asia.

Maybe, other than planet Earth, I should have spent my days on planet Neptune, or planet Saturn, with Vonnegut.

OK....

NOW, I will provide you with an amazing listening experience, one which few people your age might even know about:

This has not been available on YouTube, for years, and is still not fully available.

I am not sure you might know, but Andre Previn was an amazing director, and one who loved to try new things.

And, also, Ravi Shankar was an amazing musician.

So, anyway, one of the best Mind Melds between East and West, in my humble opinion, culminated in this very interesting London Symphony Orchestral rendition.

Enjoy if you will, this very truncated version of the original performance.

The orgiinal full length version is not easily available on YouTube, so much the pity.

Probably most London Cab Drivers will appreciate my thinking, as must be obvious. 

London Cab Drivers are Liberals, and open to new experiences, in my opinion.

Take Care, My Friends....

It Ups To You!

22 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Why does the OP insist on using such long and verbose titles for every thread that he creates?  It upsets the formatting of the web page.

A title should be short and get straight to the point.  The body of the post is where one expands upon the topic of the title.

I have an opinion why the OP does this, but I would risk a suspension if I put this in writing....

Thank you for your recommendation.

In truth, the reason I am used to writing longer Topic Titles is simply due to having read so many  academic Thesis Topics.

Still, your suggestion is well noted, and I will attempt to abbreviate title length, in the future.

Thank you.

34 minutes ago, saakura said:

"All Indian religions assert it to be a state of perfect quietude, freedom, highest happiness as well as the liberation from attachment and worldly suffering and the ending of samsara"

Indian, Thai or Hindu, Buddhist. Most importantly, they teach that it has to come from within you. 

They assert...but don't practise..you preach BS

• Sad 1

BY THE WAY.....

I just really hope that some of you might listen to ...

RAVI SHANKAR

ANDRE PREVIN

Some of the best from East and West....

Why?

Because, I think that this is beautiful music, and is a product of East and West.

I am not trying to "promote" it.

Just hoping that others will enjoy it.

Maybe you might find this music exactly as uplifting as I did, almost 50 years ago.

Take care, my friends.

Is this Nirvana in a mythological sense?

Otherwise, if I was going to Nirvanha, I would cycle through the Hokkien cemetery, then down towards town,  but U-turn.  The Nirvanha furnaces are on your left, next to a smaller Chinese cemetery, and I would recommend diverting past the furnaces to cut through the cemetery, if you can, as there are stray dogs loitering outside the waiting accommodation on the main route past the cemetery, and they can be a bit boisterous.  Maybe they don't get so much gnawings with the new modern furnaces.  

10 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Otherwise, if I was going to Nirvanha, I would cycle through the Hokkien cemetery, then down towards town,  but U-turn.  The Nirvanha furnaces are on your left, next to a smaller Chinese cemetery, and I would recommend diverting past the furnaces to cut through the cemetery, if you can, as there are stray dogs loitering outside the waiting accommodation on the main route past the cemetery, and they can be a bit boisterous.  Maybe they don't get so much gnawings with the new modern furnaces.  

Wow, Man!

Very NICE to see you posting here, after so many days of not seeing your postings, my friend.

I always look for your comments, for sure.

Seldom find them, though, in recent months.

As everyone knows, some posters are better than others.

Sorry.

But your posts are, just, better.

You are like the Ravi Shankar of TV, in my opinion.

Hope all is good with you, and yours.

36 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Everybody here respects a man with a decent Classical Education.

At least, I do.

Guest Isaanlife
10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you for your recommendation.

In truth, the reason I am used to writing longer Topic Titles is simply due to having read so many  academic Thesis Topics.

Still, your suggestion is well noted, and I will attempt to abbreviate title length, in the future.

Thank you.

You should find a copy of "Are you lonely tonight"

Then play it over and over and over again.

You must have all the time in the world.

Do you understand we don't need your assistance looking up Youtube videos?

If you start a post, try to stay on your own topic!

I could only narrow it down to  ............................

1. She isn't different.

2. Don't overpay, never pay upfront (or lend money).

3. Avoid all social contact with local males (unless they're convincingly dressed as females)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Always maintain a LOVE of the culture, here.  And, if you don’t love the culture here, then you should not come, because….without a love of this land, then you will never be happy, but only experience various degrees of bitterness, which is not good for either you or the people you meet.

What is that then? Worshiping 3 headed elephants, racism against Burmese, exploitation of the poor, corruption etc.

I wouldn't be harping on about Thai culture so much, unless you want to consider both the dark and light sides.

All I needed for nirvana in LOS was money, a nice room and a pleasant companion.

• Like 1