Norwegian expat killed in collision of two pick-ups in NE Thailand - wife injured

webfact

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Two people died and three were seriously injured after two pick-ups collided on a dangerous bend in the Khemmarat police jurisdiction in Ubon Ratchathani, NE Thailand yesterday.

Both the driver of a Ford Ranger and that of a Mazda BT-50 died at the scene on the Arunprasert Road. 

Naew Na reported that behind the wheel of the Mazda was a Norwegian man Mr I.W. who had lived in Thailand with his Thai wife in Amnat Charoen for ten years.

His wife was among three injured passengers in the Mazda. 

The driver of the Ford was named as Rimkhong, 50, also from Amnat Charoen. 

Police said that the collision happened at high speed on a bend notorious for accidents.

Investigations continue. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Terribly tragic. Looking at the picture I wonder why the driver of the Ford Ranger died as the cabin and windscreen was still intact. Assuming it had an airbag? I would guess that the Thai driver of the Ranger was not wearing a safety belt. The Mazda definitely looks to be a weaker vehicle. Another needless loss of life and injury.

As well other simultaneous happenings like a hearth attack or stroke before or after the crash. Speculations at its best. 

What I often se when passing cars, is drivers who is one their cell phone texting, using social media or watch lakon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Terribly tragic. Looking at the picture I wonder why the driver of the Ford Ranger died as the cabin and windscreen was still intact. Assuming it had an airbag? I would guess that the Thai driver of the Ranger was not wearing a safety belt. The Mazda definitely looks to be a weaker vehicle. Another needless loss of life and injury.

According to the linked article reporting the accident, the Ranger was being driven by the Norwegian, The Thai was driving the Mazda.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Naew Na reported that behind the wheel of the Mazda was a Norwegian man Mr I.W. who had lived in Thailand with his Thai wife in Amnat Charoen for ten years.

No, Naew Na didn't report that...

"The 1st death was Mr. Rim Khong Rakthai, 50 years old, Nikhom villagers, Village No. 5, Khamphon Sub-district, Pathum Ratchawongsa District, Amnat Charoen Province, a Mazda pickup driver. BT50

As for the second case, Mr. Irnor Waternikulaisen, a Norwegian, came to live with a Thai girlfriend for about 10 years, residing at 319 Village No. 1, Huai Subdistrict, Huai District. Pathum Ratchawongsa, Amnat Charoen Province, the driver of a Ford ranger 4-door car, both of whom died on the steering wheel.

The three injured, who were seated in a four-door Ford ranger pickup truck, was also accompanied by a Norwegian girlfriend".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

At the least in the Ford, safety belts and airbags (if any) could have helped?

Cabin looks quite intact.

A bit strange that the pixelated body of the Ranger driver is seen on the ground underneath the open drivers door on the left. Both Ranger front doors are open. I thought that doors on vehicles were designed NOT to pop open on impact. The picture looks like it was taken very shortly after the accident and before any medical first responders showed up.

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Probably not wearing a seat belt.

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

It's worth bearing in mind that in the car crash that killed Princess Diana, the only one to survive out of the four occupants was the guy who was wearing a seat beat.

What's a seat beat - lol.

But yeah, normally a seat belt helps to save lives or reduce injuries i agree, this is a horrific head on though.