Video: "No justice" for Thai motorcycle delivery guy after collision with American driving golf buggy in luxury housing estate

webfact

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

He was "changing lanes" (drifting right), perhaps as preparation to make a right-hand turn.

These moo baans, they have a lot of four lane roads? I don't believe he was changing lanes because there was only the one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I see no indicators or rear view mirrors and the buggy is turning on a pedestrian crossing. The buggy driver has to give way to vehicles behind him before turning. The moto rider was in a position to see that there was nobody on or near the pedestrian crossing. The buggy driver is civilly liable by driving in a dangerous manner. He turned into the moto rider who was traveling in a constant direction.

disclaimer: I'm a qualified driving instructor. Thai road laws are very similar to those in the west.

The cause of the accident was excessive speed, as usual. The rider was trying to zip around the buggy, and once geezer starts turning without signaling Moto did not have the clearance. Thus the superman maneuver. 

As a qualified driving instructor be aware of the basic speed law if the moto driver had been operating at a safe speed for the conditions the accident would not have happened even with the un-signaled turn. The only time I recall seeing carts in US was in a private Golf community but I looked online it appears they are legal in most states with on streets with low speed limits and properly equipped. Obviously these contraptions are a potential hazard mixing with cars without at least proper signals, mirrors , and brake lights.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

These delivery drivers ride like lunatics I have noticed - pretty sure I am not the only one to have observed this

More deliveries more money......do the math, same with the supersonic utility delivery drivers on the highways, throw in no Police at work and theres the recipe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sig said:

I must say, I've never heard that one before! You say that driving at a higher speed normally lessens the chance of a collision? Did you actually type what you meant there? If so, let's put that to the test. You drive down Sukhumvit at something like 120kph and I'll follow at 40kph and we'll see how long it is before I come across your wreckage ????
Then you got me again by somehow inserting (no pun intended) sex into the equation! "...it felt prurient to overtake"!? wow... never knew people could get turned on by the idea of overtaking!
You lost me on the "LHD" thing. Not the faintest clue what that could mean. The only exposure I've ever had to that acronym is Landing Helicopter Dock - A Naval vessel. I'm curious about why the driver would be expected to check if there is a vehicle to his right, being on a single lane road? You "presumed" the buggy driver didn't indicate his turn and you "suspect" the driver didn't check to his right. Well... I understand that a LOT needs to be assumed/presumed to make a judgment from the scant evidence provided by the video, but why the need to make that judgement when you cannot make a proper judgement? The police can do much more investigation and come to a much more clear verdict. And since they are actually siding with the foreigner (shocking, I know!), I would guess that they took into account many factors in order to come to the conclusion that they did. But who knows.... stranger things have happened.

I 'll stand by my first point. In simple terms, think of two vehicles travelling at 90 degrees to each other on a near collision course. The faster they are going the less likelikood there is that they will collide. Most accidents are caused by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, so the shortest time one remains in 'the wrong' place the better. Even driving down Sukhumwit at 120kph (which is not what I meant) you still have less chance of hitting someone driving across you than you would at 40 kph, it's just that the consequences would be more severe.  Point taken about 'prurient', it was a typo for 'prudent'. LHD  = Left Hand Drive, I assumed everyone would ktyponow that (unless of course you are American, in which case you wouldn't know about the rest of the World). Apologies for not realising it was a 'single lane road', this is not obvious from the video, but even if it was why was the buggy driver turning right from the left hand side? Finally it is not unknown for the BIB to side with a foreigner if the incentives are right (if you get my meaning).

Edited by Stupooey
Typo

The delivery rider was driving way too fast and overtaking in the middle of a zebra-crossing, so he is clearly at fault. The delivery rider should be expected to be properly insured by his employer or, if self-employed, by own insurance? Not at least when driving around without using his brain. Sadly I almost daily experience motorbike riders overtaking me on the right side, when I clearly signal to make a right turn from the main road into my village. 

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

Im surprised people are saying it's the motorcycle riders fault, it was clearly the person driving the golf cart that turned into the motorcycle.

But the motorcycle was traveling too fast, overtaking on a pedestrian crossing close by a junction that the golf cart was attempting to turn into, was not indicating that he was overtaking a slower vehicle, riding too close to the golf cart, on a private moo ban, yet according to you and several others it was the golf buggy drivers fault.

I looked at the video and the golf buggy was still in the left lane, as was the motorcycle.

Nobody on AseanNow was actually there at the time but they all have an opinion as I do which driver was at fault.

The police are involved and they made their decision. That should be good enough.

Been here done that. These kids are motorbikes flying like a bat out of hell without helmets not paying attention and thinking everybody is going to look out for them. Feel bad for the kid but hopefully this is a good lesson for him to slow the hell down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BE88 said:

Whether or not the farang is guilty, however, it would have cost her little to find out how the motorcyclist was who he sent to the ground injuring himself.

Shame on him.

Agreed but I suspect the attorney suggested they don't contact them as it may look as an admission of guilt

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This is nonsense.

If there is accident, often they will blame the one who has no influence. Granted, this is usually the foreigner but not always.

You do know opinions are usually based on generalization which is what I and others are doing here.

" Granted, this is usually the foreigner but not always "  Kind of sounds general to me?  get my point?

Using words like Nonsense or B.S. that is like calling a guy a liar which I know isn't your intent. Speaking for myself my generalization is derived from my own experience I wish there were more feel good stories like to hear more of them but sadly that is hard to come by?

Edited by thailand49

7 hours ago, actonion said:

Mirror, Signal, Manouvre, before making your move, Did the American have Mirrors Signals  ? on a Golf buggy i doubt it, American attempted to make a turn without looking, a  slower speed  by the motorbike may have avoided the collosion,  My  bet is American is in the wrong, for not looking over his shoulder

I think it's a no pass zone, so the motorcycle shouldn't be passing either.  I blame both driver's. 

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

was with a gf who was involved in a collision, due to the other driver being an idiot, she got onto the insurance company straight away, and a guy turned up remarkably quickly, this was, she said, to help prevent potential dodgyness by the RTP

Insurance guys typically show up promptly when you contact them.

I've had 2 accidents in the past 20+ years and the Insurance guy showed up took care of everything. I didn't even speak to the police or show my license to anyone. 

My second accident a drunk guy hit me. He tried to pull the expat is at fault, but the police took my side told him to go home or he would have problems for drink and drive.

Just like everything else in Thailand what I experience can be totally different from the next guy. Allot of this things come into play, age, the way ypur dressed etc, byt i believe most of the time it's a person's attitude that's causes issues.

2 hours ago, Stupooey said:

I 'll stand by my first point. In simple terms, think of two vehicles travelling at 90 degrees to each other on a near collision course. The faster they are going the less likelikood there is that they will collide. Most accidents are caused by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, so the shortest time one remains in 'the wrong' place the better. Even driving down Sukhumwit at 120kph (which is not what I meant) you still have less chance of hitting someone driving across you than you would at 40 kph, it's just that the consequences would be more severe.  Point taken about 'prurient', it was a typo for 'prudent'. LHD  = Left Hand Drive, I assumed everyone would ktyponow that (unless of course you are American, in which case you wouldn't know about the rest of the World). Apologies for not realising it was a 'single lane road', this is not obvious from the video, but even if it was why was the buggy driver turning right from the left hand side? Finally it is not unknown for the BIB to side with a foreigner if the incentives are right (if you get my meaning).

The faster you go the harder it is to change direction, the further you travel before starting to change direction and brakes are less effective. 

In this situation the slower the better. He would have much more time to see what was about to happen, decide what to do and of course would not have been injured so bad.

Just compare the speed of the two bikes in the video. 

• Like 2

Passing on the right in a intersection . The motorcycle had no right to be on the  right side of the road unless he was turning right also. 1,000 % the motorcycle fault. Plus the speed was way too fast. I think he moved right to avoid hitting the golf cart in the rear end. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

many idiots

Be fair, please! Many are no idiots - having an IQ not exceeding 90 doesn't make you generally an idiot.
They are simply uneducated. And this is simply and only a defect Thai governance and its system are responsible for.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

You do know opinions are usually based on generalization which is what I and others are doing here.

" Granted, this is usually the foreigner but not always "  Kind of sounds general to me?  get my point?

Using words like Nonsense or B.S. that is like calling a guy a liar which I know isn't your intent. Speaking for myself my generalization is derived from my own experience I wish there were more feel good stories like to hear more of them but sadly that is hard to come by?

As I have lived here most my life, actually I am Thai, I get tired of hearing untruths like it's the foreigner that always gets fleeced, simply this is not what happens, like I said it's the one with least influence. I thought you might like to hear that this happens among Thai people too. Sorry, if you took  that the wrong way, was just trying to be helpful 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Passing on the right in a intersection . The motorcycle had no right to be on the  right side of the road unless he was turning right also. 1,000 % the motorcycle fault. Plus the speed was way too fast. I think he moved right to avoid hitting the golf cart in the rear end. 

Is it not a crime to drive a golf cart on the road? It must have been a very bad hook or slice. His caddy looks quite nice but.

8 hours ago, actonion said:

Mirror, Signal, Manouvre, before making your move, Did the American have Mirrors Signals  ? on a Golf buggy i doubt it, American attempted to make a turn without looking, a  slower speed  by the motorbike may have avoided the collosion,  My  bet is American is in the wrong, for not looking over his shoulder

You have to be a special kind of stupid to crash into a golf buggy in a moo baan. 

What do they do, 15kph max? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Check out Section 46 of the Land Traffic Act, 2522 (1979) (400-1000B)

It is an offence to overtake another vehicle within 30M of a pedestrian Crossing.

The video shows the bike rider overtake the golf buggy AT the pedestrian crossing so the bike rider has broken the law as it is written

And at some considerable speed as well.

Just another moron that blames someone else for their own idiocy.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is it not a crime to drive a golf cart on the road? It must have been a very bad hook or slice. His caddy looks quite nice but.

They have buggies in nearly every moo baan I have ever been in to take people around. 

It's private property not a public highway.