Thailandpass requires insurance that covers quarantine of "close contacts"

22 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Your insurance policy must be valid for the entire duration of your stay in Thailand.

How does that work if you live here and need to go, let's say for a few weeks abroad and come back to Thailand?

I found out, through another earlier thread, that when you leave, your policy might expire. Checked my Tune Protect policy and sure enough, even though I have a 180 day policy and leave for a trip in the middle of the period and return, the policy is dead. So I'd pi$$ away 9,000 baht (half policy fee) and have to spend a similar amount to complete my stay (I'm on a retirement extension, multi-re-entry permit) until late April. This was done under the old COE rules in October last year.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Details
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They have been accepting 30 days and many have entered with only 30 days.

When you register on the Thai Pass site if you select returning to Thailand the departure date goes away.

I think many of us know, or have heard, that 30 days will get you in, or did get you in, but where is the definitive statement from anybody in the Govt that it is sufficient for long-term stayers ?  The way the OP reads is that they can refuse entry to us if they want to, when we arrive with 30 days insurance.  It's about time for Richard Barrow to get a more definitive statement  from his highly-placed contact. I have tried my Embassy, and you can guess the response....nothing at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tony M said:

The way the OP reads is that they can refuse entry to us if they want to, when we arrive with 30 days insurance

They wouldn't refuse entry.

At worst the entry stamp "admitted untill date" would match the insurance

That also wouldn't happen imo.

By way of interest can an insurance policy be instantly obtained online? 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They wouldn't refuse entry.

At worst the entry stamp "admitted untill date would match the insurance" 

By way of interest can an insurance policy be instantly obtained online? 

You have that in writing or in an official statemnet from the Govt - " "admitted untill date would match the insurance" " ?  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

At worst the entry stamp "admitted untill date would match the insurance" 

Immigration does not check for the covid 19 insurance.

I have seen no reports of that happening unless a person is entering with Non-OA or OX visa or maybe a STV.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I have seen no reports of that happening unless a person is entering with Non-OA or OX visa or maybe a STV.

So, with respect, ubonjoe, you and others are guaranteeing that this is the official position ?  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Tony M said:

So, with respect, ubonjoe, you and others are guaranteeing that this is the official position ?  

As uj stated ...there have been Many folk returning with reentry permits or visas (eg non O) that allow various permission of stay.

In case of a non O-A that would be 12 months.

They have taken out covid insurance with 30 day coverage without issue. 

I understand the concern.

The very vague statement something like..."insurance to cover intended length of stay" was confusing to say the least. 

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am on a Non-OA-based retirement extension, expiring in August. So via the Thailand Pass, I could prove 30 days of insurance and likely be approved. Then Immigration at the airport would stamp me in?

PS: Now I see DrJack54's reply above. So the answer would be "yes," Immigration will stamp me in. 

I would really like to visit Cambodia soon and return here to assess my future plans. I've lived there before.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

As uj stated ...there have been Many folk returning with reentry permits or visas (eg non O) that allow various permission of stay.

In case of a non O-A that would be 12 months.

They have taken out covid insurance with 30 day coverage without issue. 

I guess that's a "no" then, you don't have anything definitive to offer ?  

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I am on a Non-OA-based retirement extension, expiring in August. So via the Thailand Pass, I could prove 30 days of insurance and likely be approved. Then Immigration at the airport would stamp me in?

They only enforce the insurance when entering with a valid OA visa.

You would be stamped in until the day your re-entry permit expires with only 30 days of covid 19 insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Many reports of what I stated and zero reports of issue with arrival using insurance policy for shorter period than entry stamp, is definitive enough for me.

I'll tell my Embassy to stop trying to follow up on this then, as Dr Jack54 says it's okay. 

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I read in the news last week that in some areas of the UK, as many as 1 in 20 people have the virus now (many are asymptomatic).  Given that figure, there's pretty high chance that 15 to 20 people on your flight are carrying the virus and there's no social distancing on aircraft.

Being asymptomatic just means you aren't choking on your own lung cheese. It will still show up in a  PCR test so your chances of getting on the plane even asymptomatic are still very slim.

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

They are being bloody stupid now. My insurance gives limited cover if I am required to quarantine as a result of Covid 19.  The exact wording is a but wooly but it doensn't say I actually have to have contracted the virus - ony as a result of it.. When I spoke to the insurers last year on this point, they told me I would be covered as long as I'd been ordered to quarantine by the authorities.

I very much doubt that I would get my insurers to put in writing that they will cover a suspicion, created by a close contact. Given the OIC announcement last week that Thai insurers will no longer have to provide cover for quarantine and 'hospitels' as of tomorrow - it would seem impossible to obtain any insurance that offers the cover stated above. In which case they might as well shut down Test & Go permanently!

Total bloody lunacy! They're expecting how many tourists?

Absolutley wonderful news seeing as I booked my flights for March this afternoon.

You should only book flights that give full cash refund if cancelled 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

The MFA rep told him that orally during an interview, but MFA has never put it in writing.

No disrespect intended, but if you need "definitive" statements from the government, then Thailand probably isn't the right place for you, as this is far from the only matter here where actual policy in practice differs from what is stated in official documents. I don't like it, but that's the reality.

I think you misunderstod me, but no disrespect taken.  I just find it wrong when people say it's okay to do something when there is nothing definitive to say that it is okay.  This country and this government can change their minds about almost anything at any moment, so telling people it's okay to travel with limited insurance when the published guidance says it isn't, just seems a bit tenuous. But, please don't tell me that Thailand probably isn't the right place for me.  No disrespect intended, but please keep your opinions on my life to yourself.

• Like 1

BS, Thai Pass requires your insurance company to cover you if you are "hospitalized" due to covid positive infection and in NEED of medical treatment and medicine in a hospital. No Insurance ( Thai ) company will cover you for a positive test and you are feeling fine, no fever, asymptomatic and told to isolate in one of their quarantine hotels on arrival for a week or so while you are doing 50 burpees, 50 setups, 50 pushups daily in your lock up,  feeling great waiting for that soon coming negative test.........  don't travel if you don't want to chance it !!!

Question for Ubonjoe:

A very good friend of mine, female. She is Portuguese and on Non Imm visa. (guardian visa).

She is doing Masters degree and has to travel next month for 2 weeks to Germany to attend university courses.

Her permission to stay is until july. She is double vaccinated in Thailand.

She has a health insurance with PC here in Thailand.

What's the exact procedure to make sure that she can come back relatively hassle free?

Book a return or 2 single flights?

Regards,

22 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

What's the exact procedure to make sure that she can come back relatively hassle free?

Book a return or 2 single flights?

if the PC insurance will cover up to $50,000 for treatment of covid 19 it would be accepted. If not then she would need to get 30 days of covid 19 insurance.

She does not need to show a ticket of Thailand since she will have a re-entry permit for her extension of stay (it is not a visa). A round trip to ticket from here and back is all she needs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Your insurance policy must be valid for the entire duration of your stay in Thailand.

How does that work if you live here and need to go, let's say for a few weeks abroad and come back to Thailand?

For me living in Thailand on a Retirement Extension but traveling overseas three or four times a year, the "Covid insurance" is already part of my annual health insurance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

For me living in Thailand on a Retirement Extension but traveling overseas three or four times a year, the "Covid insurance" is already part of my annual health insurance.

Does it cover you for asymptomatic or close contact quarantine?

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

if the PC insurance will cover up to $50,000 for treatment of covid 19 it would be accepted. If not then she would need to get 30 days of covid 19 insurance.

She does not need to show a ticket of Thailand since she will have a re-entry permit for her extension of stay (it is not a visa). A round trip to ticket from here and back is all she needs.

And what's about the PCR test before coming back plus the Thailand Pass and all this procedure?

Cheers