Booster shots ?

tgw

Had Sinovac and AZ, then a short bout of COVID. Had a Pfizer booster about 4 months after the COVID.

Medical opinion seems to be divided, some say Sinovac/AZ counts as 1 jab only.

I was rejected at Central Festival by the doctor there when I wanted a booster, he said I had enough acquired immunity. That conflicted with medical advice I got elsewhere, so I had the booster at the clinic in my GF's village.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Had Sinovac and AZ, then a short bout of COVID. Had a Pfizer booster about 4 months after the COVID.

I was rejected at Central Festival by the doctor there when I wanted a booster, he said I had enough acquired immunity. That conflicted with medical advice I got elsewhere, so I had the booster at the clinic in my GF's village.

Just read an article on people who have had covid and then a booster......seems they are super immune.....something to with increased numbers B cells and memory B cells

• Haha 1

I walked into my local hospital, not in Pattaya after having my 2nd Pfizer 5 months ago elsewhere.

This was at 8am, no lines, straight to the table, registered and had my booster.

Went back a couple of days to pick up the certificate, as advised, collected it and went to the MOPH to get my yellow vaccination passport updated, filled in the form and provided them with the required docs, was then asked why I received my 1st dose Pfizer again, I said, no, booster, 3rd shot, they showed me the certificate and it showed 1st dose, shocked, I then had to explain to them it was probably a language barrier problem, similar to what I was having with them, and that I told the hospital staff that I wanted a Pfizer booster, and showed them the yellow passbook previous two stamps, even gave them the 3 fingers.

I went on to say that all the doses are the same, they said ok, and advised me to return in a weeks time after I paid them the 50 baht they required.

If you are over 60 and or have an underlying condition, I believe after 3 months from your second dose, you can get your booster with Pfizer, not 100% sure on this, and 6 months if none of the above.

Suggest you contact your local hospital to see if you can get your booster there.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I was rejected at Central Festival by the doctor there when I wanted a booster, he said I had enough acquired immunity.

I wonder how he determined that you had enough acquired immunity?  I wish antibody tests were widely/easily available so I'd know if I really should be getting a booster; is a booster necessary.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I was rejected in RGB few weeks ago as had 2x Pfizer, was told to wait 6mo from last one.

Rode to Memorial hospital and got Moderna on the spot. Left 1650 bath less in pocket. Quick and easy.

However I have understood that this 6mo requiremet would not be applied any more, not sure thought

7 minutes ago, mran66 said:

I was rejected in RGB few weeks ago as had 2x Pfizer, was told to wait 6mo from last one.

Rode to Memorial hospital and got Moderna on the spot. Left 1650 bath less in pocket. Quick and easy.

However I have understood that this 6mo requiremet would not be applied any more, not sure thought

The 6 month wait after a 2nd Pfizer only applies to the free Pfizer vaccination supplied by the Government. As you paid for the booster, you must have obtained it privately.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

They are readily available if you are prepared to pay for one.

I paid 850 baht for mine at a blood place, got the results back same day, after 4 months, my antibody levels were down to just under 1,000, a good reading is above 3,850, so I got my booster yesterday, a month after the antibody test.

I don't expect a miracle from the booster as I have read they give you around another 3-4 months, that said, will be going in for another antibody test 28 days after to see where the levels are at.

The above said, I don't mind paying to check on my health as I want to know that the vaccines are getting my immune system firing up to make extra antibodies, noting that not everyone's bodies will respond, and how else does one know, I don't rely on what people say, I like to cross check everything, especially when it comes to my health.

850 is reasonable in my book. Thanks for the info. I do a 'blood test' at a clinic in Pattaya not one minute walk from 3rd road. I'll check with them next time I'm in town.  My sliding scale is usually around 1500 baht for stuff that may kill me. I cross the street for free though.

• Like 1

I had the same shots last year. Last week I went to Central Festival in Korat and asked what about boosters.....they told me that 6 months after the last shot I would be contacted.

To be honest I'm not too happy about having a booster....I've felt very tired since the last shots and short of breath;.

3 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I had the same shots last year. Last week I went to Central Festival in Korat and asked what about boosters.....they told me that 6 months after the last shot I would be contacted.

To be honest I'm not too happy about having a booster....I've felt very tired since the last shots and short of breath;.

I know 4 guys who went to Udon Thani at a University there where they received doses 1 & 2 of Pfizer, went back 3 months later and were told to come back after 4 months, they all received their 3rd dose, none of them had any underlying conditions, all of 60, whether that has anything to do with it, I don't know.

As for the booster, it's a personal choice, I wasn't going to get it, but all depends on the age bracket your in, tired and short of breath, is a usual sign of not getting off ones rear and getting that heart rate elevated for at least 20 minutes a day, not suggesting you are doing nothing, I wouldn't know, but if your not doing anything and can, start moving and see if you feel any better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Just read an article on people who have had covid and then a booster......seems they are super immune.....something to with increased numbers B cells and memory B cells

You must mean increased B cells.

B cells are basically antibodies which are made when the body is either infected or injected from the vaccine, the T cells only come into play to take away the dead virus.

If you have been infected previously, your B and T cells will remember the virus and are supposed to fire up again, however the data is not out on how they respond with this virus yet, but we can assume they do, hopefully, however as the data is out, that is why we are getting boosted.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I wonder how he determined that you had enough acquired immunity?  I wish antibody tests were widely/easily available so I'd know if I really should be getting a booster; is a booster necessary.

He didn't, doctors here tend to just go with their own opinions.

If you want to know what your antibody level is, go to a pathology lab. I went to Mengrai Laboratories in Chiang Rai, result 56 units/ mL. 500 baht. It wasn't enough to stop me getting COVID, but I am pretty sure it prevented me from being seriously ill.

I was told by one of the staff there if the result is more than 2500 U/mL, I would get asked to donate blood for seriously ill patients.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You must mean increased B cells.

B cells are basically antibodies which are made when the body is either infected or injected from the vaccine, the T cells only come into play to take away the dead virus.

If you have been infected previously, your B and T cells will remember the virus and are supposed to fire up again, however the data is not out on how they respond with this virus yet, but we can assume they do, hopefully, however as the data is out, that is why we are getting boosted.

They definitely referred to memory B cells.........and B cells....found it.........

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220210-the-cells-that-can-give-you-super-immunity

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

If you get to choose the booster, get a Moderna shot.  Mixing your Pfizer with Moderna has been shown to add a bit more protection, something like +2% compared to 3 of the same vaccines.

Couldn't hurt.

Mixed my Pfizer with Chang draft...went down a treat and my protection level has increased dramatically...all`s good.

• Haha 1

PATTAYA SPECIFIC-Having paid for Moderna via BPH am still waiting for them to contact me re appointment for me and wife. Queueing all day at Royal Garden, Banglamung or Central Festival is not an option as this would need to be in a wch and this increases rather than reduces Covid risk. BCCT refer me to BPH facebook page for vaccines but this is permanently booked as only 300 available. Checking web sites daily! Now pressing as daily increase in Omicron infections in local schools and in our mooban! Less talk about opening up Thailand and back to vaccine procurement is needed by this shortsighted government! And less talk about superspreading Festivals at City Hall! This Omicron wave is spiralling out of control!

5 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

PATTAYA SPECIFIC-Having paid for Moderna via BPH am still waiting for them to contact me re appointment for me and wife. Queueing all day at Royal Garden, Banglamung or Central Festival is not an option as this would need to be in a wch and this increases rather than reduces Covid risk. BCCT refer me to BPH facebook page for vaccines but this is permanently booked as only 300 available. Checking web sites daily! Now pressing as daily increase in Omicron infections in local schools and in our mooban! Less talk about opening up Thailand and back to vaccine procurement is needed by this shortsighted government! And less talk about superspreading Festivals at City Hall! This Omicron wave is spiralling out of control!

My information says the crowds at RGP are lighter now. Maybe much lighter. There are three lines. One to register for Moderna. One to register for Pfizer. One for the jab.

You could also go to Pattaya Memorial Hospital to pay for Moderna in which case you might get it same day or as in my case perhaps ten days later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

The 6 month wait after a 2nd Pfizer only applies to the free Pfizer vaccination supplied by the Government. As you paid for the booster, you must have obtained it privately.

I got my Pfizers in Europe. Told that and was told to come back in March when 6mo gone. 

Yes I paid in memorial myself, just showed up and got instantly 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:22 PM, Chris.B said:

In Thailand, the free booster vaccines provided by the government, need to be 6 months after previous Pfizer shots.

If you had AZ its 3 months only.

Depends who you talk to. My wife was told it was 6 months at the local hospital but she got a booster a few days later, a walk in at the MBK center. About 4 months after her 2nd Pfizer.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:22 PM, Chris.B said:

In Thailand, the free booster vaccines provided by the government, need to be 6 months after previous Pfizer shots.

If you had AZ its 3 months only.

Correct, thats the official line

image.png.1f72f539059a7c5cd262a8f043b2611b.png

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/searo/thailand/2022_02_15_tha-sitrep-223-covid-19_eng.pdf?sfvrsn=a74a1411_3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1