The Time has come to pack in it

Guest Isaanlife

20 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Why do people feel the need to share this goodbye I don't like most of you anyway and wont be posting again type of posts? OP has only been a member just over a year anyway.

It is good for some to think twice before maybe make a to drastical move to Thailand and especially Isan. Can be a good life and a good experience, but not for everybody.

The message is: Do not burn the bridge back home, or have at least options if you do so. 

You have to live there to know what it is all about. Even paradise get toxic, and not only talking about Isan, but anywhere in the world. Ask Adam, he knows ????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your plans. I just returned from the US(specifically Southern California) and two things that surprised me are:

1) Just put $20 of gas into my rental and I got 4 gallons(I even rented the smallest car they had-a 3 cylinder Mistsubish Mirage).  I can't even imagine how a middle income family is making it? 

2) Went out for breakfast and had two pancakes, two eggs, some bacon and a cup of coffee and it came to almost $15.  The only real bargain was lunch at my favorite place, In-N-Burger, and mercifully it was only $8.  My other favorite place, Chipotle, was $13 for a chicken burrito and a diet coke.  

I am a middle income level retired police officer and if I had to move back to California or even Florida I would probably need to work at least part-time. Also, I checked health insurance premiums in my age group and the cheapest policy for me would be at $600 per month(in California health insurance is mandatory).  

Even with the challenges of life in LOS I will stay as long as I can.  

I recently returned from a trip to Ca. I keep a car in storage there, a V-8 hemi and 65-70USD everytime I gassed up. Hotel in a small farming town was $100/nt at a Motel 6. Closer to $200/nt for nicer place. In a tourist city it would be closer to $300/nt for nice room. Homelessness was rampant. Have to pick certain Walmarts that had middleclass customers. While I look forward to future trips to USA to do some cross country driving and exploring, I miss the upperscale gym in Ca. that doesn't cost too much. I'm fortunate as I was able to keep my International BC/BS health ins from old job. 

But living in Thailand certainly has it's charm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I think that was the main problem with our stay here, The pandemic has removed a lot of the things that we enjoyed about living in Thailand but still leaving  the hustles that annoyed us.

I am puzzled by this comment, since the pandemic started there was one period in 2020 in Chiang Rai of about 3 months that a lockdown occurred. Golf courses, swimming pools and massage shops were closed, but it was relatively easy to find options outside the city.

Since that time, I consider I have had complete freedom of movement in the province, with the occasional excursion to Chiang Mai.

If you want to see real loss of enjoyment, try Australia. It is still a mess of red tape and pandemic-related regulation. Thailand is a breeze in comparison.

• Like 2

As I sit here at the close of a five day family funeral, I am thinking how do people get bored? For me seldom two days the same ????

I feel fortunate to have enjoyed a great life in the Uk now chapter 2 in Thailand perhaps some of us can create our happiness where ever we are, even if it is just enjoying the all year round T-Shirt weather in Thailand ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

Now 52, I have been here since I was 23, in that time spent a total of a few months in Australia. It's no longer the country it once was, the easy going nature is just lip service these days, it's all rules and boredom.

True enough in the cities, suburbs, and regional hubs. Get out into the backblocks, you'll still find some real Aussies. And not many rules, except perhaps closing a station gate behind you if it was closed when you arrived.

• Like 2

I don't understand how going back to resume your previous life and residences relates to "we want to spend time exploring new places and see new things."

I would have thought using Thailand as a base would open up much more opportunity to explore than Florida.

Anyway, if I wasn't classified as one of the "glad I never had the pleasure" expats surely I now am. 

Your departure from the forum will leave a huge hole. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I can’t comment on other countries but I can on Thailand. I never said you can’t move around ,just that the things we used to do were not these and if they were they were diminished. For example, About a month ago we were in Bangkok and went to JJ market, it was a host town, only the shops  on the outside were open. in Khon Kaen the night market we loved to go is half empty, We used to go to the dam , hung out on those bamboo huts on the shore, watch the kids play in the water while enjoying food we bought there and a cold beer, Good luck with this now. Last time we went there the place was empty. I could give you dozens of examples but I am replying on my phone and it’s not easy to type

Fair enough, we like different things. I would be bereft if I could not play golf, swim, pick up a takeaway from one of my favorite restaurants, or visit my GF's village.

OTOH, I haven't been to a night market or bar for many years, so I don't miss those.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smithson said:

Now 52, I have been here since I was 23, in that time spent a total of a few months in Australia. It's no longer the country it once was, the easy going nature is just lip service these days, it's all rules and boredom.

Hear hear! I'm 77, and when I go back, I definitely don't belong! I generally go back 4 times a year, and can't wait to get back to Thailand.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Whale said:

I wish you all the best. Sincerely! I also have made the decision to leave after nearly a lifetime here for my own personal reasons. 

I am sure your post will garner some testing replies of those here (there are many) who feel you making your own decision on your life is in fact you making a stab at them for their life choices. Ignore them they are self centred pricks who only see the world through their own narcissism. Sadly thats the the lifeblood of the forum, I sometimes do the same myself.

Nah you missed by a mile, nobody begrudges the life choices of others, even 'self centred pricks' who are smart enough to make a life for themselves and family in Thailand, accepting with good grace that some things are done differently.

It's the little excuses, air quality, immigration, medical insurance pay outs, well if these 'issues' really bother the OP then good decision to go, but please spare those who surf these waves with ease, the idea you are moving to a better life away from these 'issues'

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2

OP best of life to you and your family....  We live in Isaan countryside going on 7 years and is where I’ll 

be when dust kicks up... Spent 35+ years traveling a million and a half air miles to different countries like mad man.. still crazy put not insane..  I’ve enjoyed it all and enjoy slowed down life..

My 90 year Mom and youngest sister  (not so young ) lives just outside Ocala two houses on 5 acres

nice place to live but I like it here.. 

Enjoy the journey.... If you like motorcycles it’s a great way see all the things you passed by in a car...

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Actually it was the OP who said:

We are both at the point we just really want more from life, a better quality of life and basically just not have to worry about anything.

I am in Thailand now because I wanted more from life and a better quality of life than I had when I left the US of A.

It's a distinct possibility the OP has a nice amount of money and can have a better quality of life in the USA. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good luck back in the rapidly declining empire. 

It's usually the folks with low funds who name call the USA because they are unable financially to relocate back to their home country, which by the way is still awesome (the USA I mean)

• Like 2

You are so fortunate to have choices. I would go back to the US in a nano second if I could even with all the incredible problems they have.

Everybody has different needs and wants and what is important to them so nobody can say what is right or wrong for other people.

I wish you and your wife nothing but the best and enjoy your life. Hope you stay happy and healthy.

• Like 1