Zebra Crossings: Motorists still ignoring them, Thai media discovers

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: INN

Thai media INN sent in their newshounds to investigate if the Thai driving public had learned their lesson from the death of Dr Kratai at a Phayathai zebra crossing several weeks ago.

They hadn't.

Research at Huay khwang, Asoke and Silom - three busy areas in the Thai capital - revealed that drivers were ignoring the crossings just like before.

Pedestrians were left to wait forlornly by the side of the road - even green lights to walk were hazardous. 

In addition the media saw loads of motorcyclists and delivery riders using the sidewalks. 

Welcome to Bangkok - oh sorry, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon - where lessons are learned one day and ignored the next.....notes ASEAN NOW. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-21

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Research at Huay khwang, Asoke and Silom - three busy areas in the Thai capital - revealed that drivers were ignoring the crossings just like before.

Pedestrians were left to wait forlornly by the side of the road - even green lights to walk were hazardous. 

In addition the media saw loads of motorcyclists and delivery riders using the sidewalks

Did we expect anything to change, I certainly didn't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The TV news aired a video of walkers two thirds across a zebra. An approaching  motorcyclist brakes and gives way almost at a stop when a bus behind him punts his bike (and him) over the crossing in front of the walkers.........????

Yep, and that guy now has a broken back or so my mrs says. ????

• Sad 1

The story and the photo don't match!!

The picture shows a traffic light system controlling the crossing.

What's wrong with traffic passing through? The red light showing is - against pedestrians, and there aren't any, except one (looks like) waiting to cross.

Although to be perverse, one biker is stopped at a green light while he uses his phone!

35 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The TV news aired a video of walkers two thirds across a zebra. An approaching  motorcyclist brakes and gives way almost at a stop when a bus behind him punts his bike (and him) over the crossing in front of the walkers.........????

I saw this accident on TV, And the two girls just walk by the injured man laying on the street between the man, broken Bike and the buss, and didn't check at the biker that tried to stop for them. At least they should check him and call for help, just not walk by like nothing has happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Law enforcement needs to change before a difference is seen. 

Cops are too busy with other things. ????

Punishment doesn't work here either. Maybe offer each driver 20 baht cash if they see someone crossing and stop...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I don't think so. I'm guessing he just hasn't noticed that the light has turned green.

Ah yes, that is possible, but my comment didn't say he stopped at a green light but that he was at the "stopped" position (is stopped). The biker shouldn't be using his phone at a green light - this is a possible danger of obstruction from those possibly behind (not in shot).

Zebra Crossings: Motorists still ignoring them, Thai media discovers

the contrary would have been a big surprise ..... nahhh not in Thailand they know it all and better at it then any other country   555

15 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Ah yes, that is possible, but my comment didn't say he stopped at a green light but that he was at the "stopped" position (is stopped). The biker shouldn't be using his phone at a green light - this is a possible danger of obstruction from those possibly behind (not in shot).

It's a habit that I've noticed quite a lot. (almost every ride in fact) Stop at red light, whip out phone, become engrossed and fail to notice the green. I've tooted at quite a few.

13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's a habit that I've noticed quite a lot. (almost every ride in fact) Stop at red light, whip out phone, become engrossed and fail to notice the green. I've tooted at quite a few.

Illegal in the UK

Like all road rules here in Thailand, many drivers just treat them as guidelines.

No need to follow them as 1) majority of them wouldn't understand a road rule if you put it in front of them and 2) No need for me to follow any road rule as I am more important than anyone else on the roads.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

I would not stop either, maybe when no traffic behind me ...

It's a scary situation stopping for crossings. This was from yesterday. What amazes me most is the lack of help from others for quite a while.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

It's a scary situation stopping for crossings. This was from yesterday. What amazes me most is the lack of help from others for quite a while.

Such casual callousness the people he stopped for just walked on. I hope the bus driver was sent to prison for dangerous driving but I doubt it, he is probably still driving buses and working for the same company.

• Like 1

This is related to everything that it means to be Thai.  To solve this problem you would have to address how Thai people think on a far deeper level than to simply tell them that they should stop on Zebra crossings and if they don't people will get hurt.

You're honestly not going to solve any of this unless you change Thai people from the ground up.  Might happen in the future, but no adult is likely to change so drastically.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

This is related to everything that it means to be Thai.  To solve this problem you would have to address how Thai people think on a far deeper level than to simply tell them that they should stop on Zebra crossings and if they don't people will get hurt.

You're honestly not going to solve any of this unless you change Thai people from the ground up.  Might happen in the future, but no adult is likely to change so drastically.

This is so true my wife just thinks differently to western women ,impossible to tell her anything she just knows and will not listen to reason or fact, causes a few rows.