What if a tourist does not check in for the 5th day quarantine & 2nd PCR of the T & G 2.0?

Out of curiosity, what recourse does the authorities have if an international traveler does not turn up for the second PCR test and hence does not check into the hotel used for Thailand pass application?

Has anyone heard of experiences along these lines?

Edited by mjakob007
  • Sad 1

just after receiving you 1st day result tell receptionist (or possibly nurse), that you have covid symptoms for the last 1-2 days. They suppose to test you. Because it will be early morning, you have chance for result the same day, early evening..

That saves hotel cleaning your room 2x. As it suppose to be a very thorough cleaning, saves chambermaid minimum 1h work

• Confused 3

I'm kinda hoping they track down the OP, and deport them immediately, if they should not get their agreed upon test.  And red stamp their PP for 10 year duration, if not permanently.

What other rules & laws do they plan on violating while here.  The few always screw it up for the rest.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 3

My $0.02 - I did my second test (this was in December before the new rules of booking into a hotel) in a well-known hospital in Chiang Mai. The test of course was negative.  I asked how do I notify some authority and was met with blank stares. 

I DID get a couple of phone calls from Thailand, don't know from whom, when I got back home but it was early morning (3am) for me so didn't answer.

After that, nothing. My wife also did her second test and is still in Thailand. Nearly two months later she still hasn't been arrested ???? We had lost the pink slips when we took the first test (reported here) and was not able to find out NOW I was supposed to report the second test.

My passport is about to expire so next time I go it will be with a new passport, and by then all this silliness should have gone.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see you have struggled with the concept of a hypothetical question....  The phrase 'Out of curiosity’ was the give-away !!! 

But... perhaps in your haste to throw outrage, scorn and play wannabe immigration officer and have someone deported you didn’t allow a ‘what if’ question to sink in before letting your foot off he clutch !!! :whistling:

I see you have struggled with the concept of a hypothetical reply ...

Reading comprehension on your part would go a long way ...

... " if they should not get their agreed upon test"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

This is the Thailand I know and love.  Rules for everything with zero interest in enforcement … unless the boss is standing right over your shoulder

This was exactly my point.

What measure are in place to enforce the second PCR test/5th day stay in hotel?

Travelers has no option to dodge first test, when coming out of the airport, travelers are funneled into their respective airport transfer arrangements/hotels/first PCR test.

If a traveler ignored the second stay, there is almost no procedure in place to ensure compliance?

• Like 2

When I came you were required to put the Morchana app on your phone. The app sent a notification of when to get tested and a link to report the results. The link was user specific as it would only take my info. I tried to input my wife's and it would not work, she had a different link. So they know if you have reported or not. The hotel also "asked" that we inform them of the results. The powers that be may not be going after those that skip out or they may be waiting for you when you leave. You can hold a gun to your head, it may not be loaded. You are free to pull the trigger, your choice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

BUT... What IF... we are sat at home on day 3, have symptoms and test ATK positive, we are supposed to stay at home and isolate then, we can’t be travelling to a hotel !!! - so what then ????

First, if you test positive with self-administered ATK, you are supposed to inform the authorities. I know, most won't, ok.

But in general, whether you want to self-isolate or break a leg or something like that and cannot show up at your booked hotel for day 5, it's not difficult to pick up a phone and inform them.

If you are in such bad state that you cannot make a call, I guess you have other more pressing problems than this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why would ’they’ track down the Op if someone else didn’t take their day 5 PCR test?

Do you also think the op is more than one person ?  (deport them immediately, if they.... )

So, you want the Op tracked down, deported, and some sort of red stamp that magically disappears after 10 years....  is that just someone who doesn’t take their day 5 test, officer ?  ????

I’m loving these magic penalties you are making up in this dreamland of yours where you are the authority deporting other foreigners !!!...   You were never one of those tourist police volunteers were you ?  :whistling:

Singular they - Wikipedia

"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Could you please let them know where they can get it?"

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Are you having problems what the OP wrote??? Or just English?

He wrote "What if" meaning its a theoretical question!!!

NO ... are you having a problem reading my reply ....  "IF they should not get their agreed upon test"

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=reading+glasses&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.login_signup.search.go.642461088VnUVX

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nglodnig said:

My $0.02 - I did my second test (this was in December before the new rules of booking into a hotel) in a well-known hospital in Chiang Mai. The test of course was negative.  I asked how do I notify some authority and was met with blank stares. 

I DID get a couple of phone calls from Thailand, don't know from whom, when I got back home but it was early morning (3am) for me so didn't answer.

After that, nothing. My wife also did her second test and is still in Thailand. Nearly two months later she still hasn't been arrested ???? We had lost the pink slips when we took the first test (reported here) and was not able to find out NOW I was supposed to report the second test.

My passport is about to expire so next time I go it will be with a new passport, and by then all this silliness should have gone.

I received daily notifications on my Morchana application when I didn't upload the day 5 test results. When I upload the day 5 test result to the link shown in Morchana notification, the QR in the app become green  with the label "very low risk".

15 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

Out of curiosity, what recourse does the authorities have if an international traveler does not turn up for the second PCR test and hence does not check into the hotel used for Thailand pass application?

Has anyone heard of experiences along these lines?

I'm sure it's a question many have pondered / are pondering (myself included). It's a one-size fits all solution that however is required to entertain many variables: an 'international traveler' could be, for instance:

1. A genuine tourist visiting for two weeks sun and masked fun.

2. A businessman visiting for a week.

3. An expat resident on some form of long-stay visa returning to the Kingdom

4. An expat with PR returning to the Kingdom

5. A Thai citizen returning home.

6. Any one of the above, who will spend all their time in Bangkok.

7. Any one of the above, who will travel upcountry after arriving in Bangkok

I suspect the 'authorities' - whatever that may include - will be more concerned about arrivals who are genuine short-term visitors because they won't have any contact details for them other than those provided for the TP application.

As for the tracking apps, I've never downloaded it/them, and have never been asked to show them either arriving in Thailand or at a quarantine hotel (did ASQ and TP last year).

My two cents: the concern is with the PCR test. They think that by forcing visitors to pay for a hotel and test on Day 5, that will induce them to do it. Could be right. However I suspect that it would be quite possible to not do the pre-paid hotel/PCR as long as you do a PCR somewhere else and send that to the hotel with an apology, and that there'd be no blowback. For instance book Day 1 in BKK and Day 5 somewhere upcountry, and then simply say 'sorry, plans changed, couldn't get to my Day 5 hotel, did a PCR at xxx instead'.

Seems a bit of a waste of time and money though (like the whole ridiculous Day 5 palaver).

• Like 1

as hospitals don't report test results (even positive) to the health ministry and because morchana is dysfunctional (even often doesn't load scanned QR of thailand pass) and because given to you 2nd test result doesn't have QR code, your health record is sketchy.

The only way is hotel reporting, but just talk to them on check out. If there is a way for them to save some money (or make an additional income) they would do it.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you also think the op is more than one person ?  (deport them immediately, if they.... )

While I sincerely dislike this trend, it is a fact that using masculine or feminine pronouns in most situations is increasingly seen as politically incorrect. One would think that this would be dealt with by the use of "it" rather than "they", but that is not what the political correctness police have decreed.

Unless referring to a specific known individual who has made known the pronouns by which they want to be referred to, it is safest to use "they" now in public speech and writing. I wonder how long it is going to be until old books begin to be reprinted with offensive words like "she" and "his" replaced with "they" and "their".

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see you have struggled with the concept of a hypothetical question....  The phrase 'Out of curiosity’ was the give-away !!! 

But... perhaps in your haste to throw outrage, scorn and play wannabe immigration officer and have someone deported you didn’t allow a ‘what if’ question to sink in before letting your foot off he clutch !!! :whistling:

Nice reply but I wouldn’t take the bait, Richard. Lots on this site, trollish and very angry. Best to hit ignore. 

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

as hospitals don't report test results (even positive) to the health ministry and because morchana is dysfunctional (even often doesn't load scanned QR of thailand pass) and because given to you 2nd test result doesn't have QR code, your health record is sketchy.

The only way is hotel reporting, but just talk to them on check out. If there is a way for them to save some money (or make an additional income) they would do it.

As we all know, Thailand is really quick with putting out new regulations, often with little thought on how to implement them in reality. Also enforcement often lacks.

This does not mean that there is no enforcement.

A good example would be the 'helmet days' back in Phuket, where only on certain days it was a problem going through the police checkpoints without one (not sure that is nowadays still true). This lead many tourists to believe that they could drive around helmet-less with impunity -- in general true, until they met an officer with a quota to fill or had an accident.

No finger-pointing that all others are also not following the rules will then help, actually will be met with sincere incomprehension by the police officers, as their whole understanding how law enforcement works is very different from the West (each police post in the country, getting a share of fines, has a quota system in place to recoup outlays, as for each officer, there was quite a high individual payment for getting a posting in Phuket instead of a much less desirable province; officers also pay for their own bikes and weapons -- so if you see an officer cruising around on an expensive bike, you know right away he is normally not part of the lower ranks).

If you have been in Thailand for longer, you should know where the grey areas are and be able to work well within them. For a tourist this could be really difficult, as he would most likely miss all the subtle signs, when he might be able to steer towards a more amicable solution.

Therefore, anybody wishing to bend rules does so at their own risk. And I would postulate further, that especially trying to bend visa rules without dire need is one of the riskier things to do, as the results could be a lot more adverse than a few hundred Baht of fines.