Foreign ex-pat riding a bicycle dies after being hit by a pickup truck driver in the Pattaya area

webfact

On 2/22/2022 at 9:19 AM, ThailandRyan said:

31 years as a Traffic investigator lends to my supposition. 

Does the country in which you were a crash investigator have the law, "The foreigner is always to blame for the accident?"  This makes crash investigation in Thailand an easy job when a foreigner is involved.

• Sad 1

I used to ride my electric bicycle almost daily when I lived in Pattaya / Jomtien. 

Could this accident have been avoided?   Who's to blame?   We will probably never find out but I would never ride a bicycle without a mirror, just like a motobike you need to be aware of the traffic, especially the traffic coming from behind.    I survived 9 years on Thai roads , but I always avoided the main roads, I believe this accident happened on a big road with several lanes making it more difficult to be in control!   

RIP. 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:00 AM, LittleBear57 said:

The standard of driving here in Thailand is simply appalling and nothing ever changes. How many Thais would pass a driving test in Europe or North America.

RIP to the unfortunate cyclist.

In this case, so far, there is no indication that the driver's ability was "simply appalling".  There is a suggestion that the cyclist's may have been, though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/22/2022 at 9:54 AM, H1w4yR1da said:
On 2/22/2022 at 9:13 AM, KhunLA said:

Assumptions ... always the Thai's fault ...

... maybe the cyclist was at fault, it happens.

A correct assumption to make considering the standard of driving here.

An incorrect assumption if the pickup driver is found to not be responsible, as is the case so far.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Leaver said:
On 2/22/2022 at 9:19 AM, ThailandRyan said:

31 years as a Traffic investigator lends to my supposition. 

Does the country in which you were a crash investigator have the law, "The foreigner is always to blame for the accident?" 

I'd doubt that it does, in exactly the same way that Thailand does not have such a law, either.

52 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You need to read the link before condemning the driver over the rider!

The link doesn't explain clearly what happened, plus only the drivers version of events. The rider could easily of been doing a U-turn which is common on 331 and pickup not paying enough attention of cyclist ahead, maybe even messaging which is not unusual hear

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You need to read the link before condemning the driver over the rider!

The link doesn't explain clearly what happened, plus only the drivers version of events. The rider could easily of been doing a U-turn which is common on 331 and pickup not paying enough attention of cyclist ahead, maybe even messaging which is not unusual hear

It does explain that it is being investigated.   Just as likely that for the cyclist was not paying attention or maybe even using his phone which is not unusual here, either.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It does explain that it is being investigated.   Just as likely that for the cyclist was not paying attention or maybe even using his phone which is not unusual here, either.

it's unusual for a falang to use a phone whilst cycling especially ones 60s70s, when did you last see one?keep dreaming

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I was making one of the uturns off 331 and there was a bicycle doing exactly what you described.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Thats how trialthetes train. Started 20 years ago. Never ride with your back to cars.

Well of course it is recommended for people on foot, in the absence of a footpath, just not for cycles..... it would be a bit awkward at junctions. 

14 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Ride towards the traffic. That way you see them.

That is what I do, both riding and walking. I do not live in a city. It puts shivers up my spine when I see Thais walking with their backs to the traffic with their small children on the outside.

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Thats how trialthetes train. Started 20 years ago. Never ride with your back to cars.

Actually quite a lot of research says you should not do that. Not for biking anyway. Its extra dangerous. I come from a biking country and they absolutely advise against it.

In Thailand i think its stupid to do too as for the reason @scubascuba3 gave motorbikes ride on that lane and it confuses them.

I think the best thing is just to bike on roads that are a bit safer. The ones with less high speed traffic. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Actually quite a lot of research says you should not do that. Not for biking anyway. Its extra dangerous. I come from a biking country and they absolutely advise against it.

In Thailand i think its stupid to do too as for the reason @scubascuba3 gave motorbikes ride on that lane and it confuses them.

I think the best thing is just to bike on roads that are a bit safer. The ones with less high speed traffic. 

to be fair the 331 is safe, i was cycling on it this morning, 30+ of us, U-turn as usual, it's actually relatively quiet road but depends on the day, time of day and location. Hua Yai is pretty quiet.

It's possible the cyclist made a terrible mistake caused by sugar low or illness but much more likely the pickup wasn't paying attention

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

to be fair the 331 is safe, i was cycling on it this morning, 30+ of us, U-turn as usual, it's actually relatively quiet road but depends on the day, time of day and location. Hua Yai is pretty quiet.

It's possible the cyclist made a terrible mistake caused by sugar low or illness but much more likely the pickup wasn't paying attention

I have no clue your cycling I am not, when im on my motorbike i like to go as fast or a bit faster as the rest of the traffic in my lane. That is how i feel safe when i first rode my motorbike i went slow and that was dangerous because of idiots overtaking me in dangerous ways. 

But about this cyclist i have no idea who is at fault fact is on a bike or motorbike your more vulnerable. I accept it (i have a car too) but the motorbike is so much faster and easier to park that its the main mode of transportation.

Keep on biking enjoy, i do think there is safety in numbers, though it probably annoys a lot of people too. In the Netherlands groups of cyclists are among the most hated people in traffic.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:59 AM, bobandyson said:

They're always swerving out to avoid the smallest of pot holes, debris etc.

Have you ever seen a bicycle with rear view mirrors? Riders usually just move their heads 45 degrees when overtaking or swerving as though they're just using their peripheral vision to see what's behind them. 

Mine has review mirrors. 

• Like 1