Are we now feeling the effects of Ukraine's situation in Asia?

webfact

5 minutes ago, sscc said:

What is the "major challenge" as noted and underlined in the BBC article ?.  

Exposing the faces of  useless A. Blinken,  clueless and gutless J. Biden,  Paper Tiger America ( wording by deceased Mao in old days )  are major Challenge to China ? 

Old and smart president is OK,  but old and outdated president is not. 

J. Biden is still seeing and thinking of the world 15 years ago while he was the Vice President.

But the world had moved forward is it is NO longer Unipolar Superpower any more. 

China didn't agree with the invasion.

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

China didn't agree with the invasion.

Is China merely a bystander to the entire matter involving numerous players across Europe and the Atlantic? 

Should BBC have focused on about the issue of nerdy Joe Biden and Paper Tiger America act  rather than dragging China to this matter ? 

No wonder over century old news outlet is now Nicked as  " Biased Broadcasting Corporation " 

17 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Stocks and Energy Markets Whipsaw After Russian Attack on Ukraine
Stocks in Europe were sharply lower, but the S&P 500 rebounded after an early decline. Energy markets swung wildly, and shares in Moscow collapsed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/business/economy/stock-market-today.html
Feb. 24, 2022
Updated 4:31 p.m. ET (meaning 4:31 AM 25 FEB Bangkok time)

2022-02-25_04h35_29.png

I was quick on the draw.  I bought a small amount of index  funds the day before the invasion. And bought the S&P 500 fund the day before the invasion. The morning of the invasion I doubled my index fund purchase and put in a call for the S&P 500. Which I canceled at the end of the day. Crazy.

I had read some statistics saying this is how it usually played out.

Edited by garyk
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Some Russians in Pattaya, or others with Russian rubles, will be suffering since some exchange booths/houses are no longer accepting rubles.

As a matter of fact, who will suffer are the Pattaya shops, hotels, restaurants, etc, they have been enjoying the payments of Russian tourists.  Much more than from the time before they started to write on their sideboards "Zdes govorit poruski". 

They confirm that the Russians knows how to celebrate and spend, quite differently from the tourists of the bygone era who knew only beer ordering.   

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, garyk said:

I was quick on the draw.  I bought a small amount of index  funds the day before the invasion. And bought the S&P 500 fund the day before the invasion. The morning of the invasion I doubled my index fund purchase and put in a call for the S&P 500. Which I canceled at the end of the day. Crazy.

I had read some statistics saying this is how it usually played out.

Well I might have been quick on the draw too but I spent all my available cash on your recommendation to be able to get out of Thailand on a RAPID DEPARTUE.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Asia will feel the effects of the Ukraine situation from slow down in economic growth in the European Union countries through higher energy prices and lower business confidence and to some extent trade. European Union countries are major trading partners for many Asian countries. The higher energy prices will also directly impact Asia economies and on commodities. Asia governments will have to be ready with fiscal policies to meet those challenges on top of the Omicron surge and US impending rate hike. 

Wow!  Actually on-topic. 

Also quite correct.  The rising energy prices may put the world into recession, with the countries most dependent on imported energy hit the hardest.  It could also keep Thailand's tourist industry derailed, which will continue to hurt a lot of Thai people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I understand China, but why did India and UAE not vote against Russia?

In the case of India, it is because Russia is their primary ally, the source of nearly all their military hardware. So, no surprise they sided with Russia. What is surprising is the US continues to allow India to colonize the United States and monopolize the H1B visa program. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

In the case of India, it is because Russia is their primary ally, the source of nearly all their military hardware. So, no surprise they sided with Russia. What is surprising is the US continues to allow India to colonize the United States and monopolize the H1B visa program. 

The first part is true.

The second part is white nationalist hate speech.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Pretty much but then the really hard part begins for Russia.

No doubt, and maybe Putin is most surprised China sit still and waiting. He might have been lead to believe China would also made a move right after invasion of Ukraine and, but so far not happens. 

Putin seems a bit more stressed and on the edge lately.

Hope for soon removal of Putin for all of us best. 

36 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No doubt, and maybe Putin is most surprised China sit still and waiting. He might have been lead to believe China would also made a move right after invasion of Ukraine and, but so far not happens. 

I'm concerned that Putin has lost his grip on reality and will double down on his colossal mistake of invading Ukraine by doing something even crazier.

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

A ukraine like Finland without <deleted> from Russia and Nato. It is a dangerous game played by both parts. 

Russia is forcing itself on Ukraine, and has been doing so for many years.  That is dangerous.

Ukraine wants to join NATO, but NATO has been keeping Ukraine at arms length for many years.  How is that dangerous?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

annection of Crimea. 

I can understand that .. IF .. Crimea truly wanted out of Ukraine.   Understand helping the Donetsk People's Republic and the Luhansk People's Republic wanting out and Russia's help with that... IF ... that's also true.

But going into Ukraine itself ... that's a head scratcher.   Also think Putin bit off a wee bit more than he can chew ... that's embarrassing.  Watching it unfold on twitter ???? ... not going as planned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Putin had said in a public interview just three months ago   that China do not  need to execute military operation to take Taiwan.    What is your point :  " Putin is most surprised China sit still and waiting. "   ???

On 2/25/2022 at 12:40 PM, NanaSomchai said:

As long as you're putting food on their table and you keep flashing bank notes in their direction.

Want to see the real face of the Thais? Run this rather simple experiment:

Come up to them with a sob story, tell them that an incident happened in your home country, tell them your bank froze your assets and you are flat broke for the foreseeable future, see how long the "smiles" remain on their faces.

You will be surprised.

I hear what your saying,but my own experiences living here seem to be an awful lot different than yours. 

42 minutes ago, candide said:

Russia has not much economic power to exert (unlike China)

Needing to exert military power is a proof of failure

russia increased BIP by 30 fold during 1992 -2020  by 30 fold

i think most of the experts here never know or travel to russia or the satelitte states of russia, where MANY happy that they stay in the eastern uninon, not only politicans

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/19373/umfrage/bruttoinlandsprodukt-in-russland/

MILITARY POWER .. than the USA failed already many times .... but the USA  not failed , so this reading is wrong.

• Like 1

I'm hoping Russia, China, India and UAE flights are banned from all Asia-Pacific countries

Unproked Russia invades Ukraine, and then UAE, India and China abstain from voting against this atrocity, therefore providing support to Russia 

Coincidence Thailand is trying to attract Russia, China, India and UAE to Thailand right now...think not, pretty sure if Thailand was a rotating UN member they also would have abstained to support their friends

Make a stand Thailand!

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1