Thailand to relax rules for international arrivals from March 1 despite COVID surge

snoop1130

Thai government lowers entry barriers despite growing number of Covid cases

By Erich Parpart

screenshot_16847.jpg

Thailand on Wednesday eased entry regulations despite a growing number of domestic Covid-19 cases.

Thailand will continue its program to require a negative RT-PCR test result within 72 hours before departure for tourists who are traveling to Thailand. They will also have to book one night at a SHA+ accommodation to wait for the result of their RT-PCR test which will be administrated on arrival.

However, starting on March 1, travelers will no longer have to book for another accommodation on the fifth day after arrival as they will only be required to take a self-administered antigen test (ATK) instead.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/37817/thai-government-lowers-entry-barriers-despite-growing-number-of-covid-cases/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

49 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I am guessing it would need to be a supervised test for the reasons you gave, but I could be wrong.  I think there are apps where they can monitor you doing the test remotely.

I read these are not supervised tests. Yes, we have those proctored tests where they watch you on video but it does not sound like that. Good luck trying to do that with reliable Thai internet! They had this self administered test deal under the early Test & Go program so I think the answer is known by someone. 

Edited by tjb30i
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

This is the same insurance of 50,000 USD coverage.

Ok thanks.
I didn't realize that the insurance has been reduced from 100,000 USD to 50,000 coverage in the meantime. I still have a 100,000 USD insurance, which is still valid for 6 months. Should be sufficient.

Edited by Turkleton

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Well, with 30,000ish cases and less than 200 "from abroad", the surge certainly isn't coming from outside the country (as much as certain people would like to pretend that was the case).

Reduce the restrictions and let people decide if they want to risk getting a cold while on holiday.

I'm due back on 9 March so this is good news. I've paid for insurance which isn't much but i haven booked hotels yet so good news there.  As you say it seems most of the infection isn't coming in from outside and the day 5 test was always a bit ridiculous. I'm not sure the day one test is really needed either if you've been vaccinated and had a test before you travel but at least it's some improvement. 

One thing I would disagree with is it isn't a cold. It has similarities but I don't think many people with a cold go to hospital. As far as I know there isn't anything like long covid from a cold. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

What happens if you're applying for Thailand Pass now but stubbing in March as I am (March 9)?

Just submitted my TP application today for March 5th arrival. 5th night booking still required as of 6 hours ago. Guess I'll be asking for my non-refundable night back after March 1st.

• Like 1

I want to arrive in Thailand on March 3.

The new Thailand pass with only one PCR test can only be booked starting March 1, which is too late.

Do you think I can book the old Thailand pass NOW which still needs one PCR test on day 1 and another PCR test on day 5, and later just cancel the PCR test for day 5?

Are there hotels with PCR packages that can be canceled (Pattaya)?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has decided to change the second COVID-19 RT-PCR test, currently required for overseas arrivals on their fifth day in the country, to a self-administered rapid antigen test and will reduce the amount of required insurance coverage from US$50,000 to US$20,000.

So whats the 300 baht cover for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I guess the Authorities are looking at 01 March as the time when this present Outbreak Infection numbers recedes to a more " manageable "level.

They are usually somewhere close to their predictions.

As they make up the daily numbers that's not hard to achieve.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

One small step for man.. a giant leap for Thailand.

But why the insurance policy if they are now required to pay 300 baht towards a fund?

Not in force yet of course.... I heard April.... no more Go Fund Me pages eh!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michel7752 said:

I want to arrive in Thailand on March 3.

The new Thailand pass with only one PCR test can only be booked starting March 1, which is too late.

Do you think I can book the old Thailand pass NOW which still needs one PCR test on day 1 and another PCR test on day 5, and later just cancel the PCR test for day 5?

Are there hotels with PCR packages that can be canceled (Pattaya)?

I just had a quick look at Bangkok on Agoda and most can't be cancelled but I saw one that could. It maybe that will change with these new rules but who knows. Probably not.

You may find something if you look hard enough. It wiill take longer but maybe check hotel websites. Particularly hotel groups as you can check several at a time. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Thanks for that. It seems these new rules start on the 7th not the 1st. I should be ok as I'm flying on the 8th at 9:30. I'd rather have a bit more time for delays though as this is stressful enough as it is.  They do seem to have a bit of trouble organising things sensibly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Thanks for that. It seems these new rules start on the 7th not the 1st. I should be ok as I'm flying on the 8th at 9:30. I'd rather have a bit more time for delays though as this is stressful enough as it is.  They do seem to have a bit of trouble organising things sensibly.

I think what they are trying to say is that you can apply on March 1st, but book any flights until the 7th so that they have time to approve your Thai Pass.

6 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Personally I would wait for details to be published in the Royal Gazette

the tatnews link is stating if you apply for Thai Pass on March 1st the new rules apply

There seems to be a question mark over in if  you apply for a Thai pass before March 1st and enter Thailand on the 7th or March onwards as to which rule set applies current one or new one

Thailand should scrap proof of vaccine AND testing. All of it. Why? Let's take a look at Mexico. The country never closed down. They have not required testing or vaccine certificate, and they've historically done better than the US, UK, Israel, and currently, Mexico is doing better than Thailand. Take a look at this chart. (set for cases per 100k). You can choose up to 6 countries to compare.

Also for reference, here is an interactive map showing updated requirements for each country. 

Let's please stop the nonsense, and get on with life. There is no logical reason for all the hoops people are being forced to jump through. Thailand needs tourism!

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 7.10.50 AM.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Let's take a look at Mexico

Yes, what a disaster that was in the early Covid days, mass burials, and still has a higher per capita death number than the UK! The 16th worst in the total infections table and over 700 Covid deaths yesterday! Proper fiasco that was!

• Sad 3