Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Now there's a challenge, almost as if he's baiting countries and wants to escalate his illegal war.

#UPDATE Russian President Vladimir Putin said Saturday that any country that sought to impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine would be considered by Moscow to have entered the conflict.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1500107383334449156

He also said that all the sanctions the west imposed on Russia were like a declaration of war. Looks like he’s somehow aching to involve NATO, or the EU, or the USA. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

He also said that all the sanctions the west imposed on Russia were like a declaration of war. Looks like he’s somehow aching to involve NATO, or the EU, or the USA. 

Of course he does.

Edited by Jingthing

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

#UPDATE Russian President Vladimir Putin said Saturday that any country that sought to impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine would be considered by Moscow to have entered the conflict.

As an American who wants to avoid war at all cost....I almost want the US to test this statement.  So US fighters shoot down a few MiGs.  What are you going to do about it Mr. Putin?  Seriously, your move. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Top Zelensky aide says Russia starting to realize the real price of its war in Ukraine

One of Ukraine’s negotiators in ceasefire talks with Russia says there has been a perceptible shift on the Russian side, after 10 days of warfare that have seen Ukraine put up unexpectedly fierce resistance.

Mr. Podolyak said that while the Russian side hadn’t yet altered its demands for a Ukrainian capitulation, he sensed that its attitude was shifting as the war and unprecedented Western sanctions took their toll.

“At the very start of the war, they were insisting on total domination. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-russia-ukraine-war-zelensky-adviser/

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

As an American who wants to avoid war at all cost....I almost want the US to test this statement.  So US fighters shoot down a few MiGs.  What are you going to do about it Mr. Putin?  Seriously, your move. 

I think the past 5 years have taught the world not to test nut jobs. The are psychotic and don't respond to reason or logic.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I think the past 5 years have taught the world not to test nut jobs. The are psychotic and don't respond to reason or logic.

The alternative to "testing" nut jobs is to give them free rein.  How is that working out?  Nevermind.  The international community is fast lining up against Putin, so would be sympathetic to any moves against him.  The more atrocities he commits, the more pressure on the US and west to do "something." 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The alternative to "testing" nut jobs is to give them free rein.  How is that working out?  Nevermind.  The international community is fast lining up against Putin, so would be sympathetic to any moves against him.  The more atrocities he commits, the more pressure on the US and west to do "something." 

Giving them free reign isn't the alternative. Creating a no fly zone isn't the same as removing Putin from power. Inciting him to commit more atrocities isn't the solution.

I think think it's pretty obvious what this means.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Western sanctions were akin to war as his forces pressed their assault on Ukraine on Saturday for a 10th day and the IMF warned the conflict would have a "severe impact" on the global economy.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/top-wrap-1-europes-largest-nuclear-power-plant-fire-after-russian-attack-mayor-2022-03-04/

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Western sanctions were akin to war as his forces pressed their assault on Ukraine on Saturday for a 10th day and the IMF warned the conflict would have a "severe impact" on the global economy.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/top-wrap-1-europes-largest-nuclear-power-plant-fire-after-russian-attack-mayor-2022-03-04/

He's a cornered rat and itching to make a move..........

Another important analysis speach to understand the conflict better. Long but interesting for those who like to digg deeper. In to the conflicts background, and why Putin in first place thought ir was an good idea andcalso why he believed he would be met with less resistence and finely an early caputulation at least in the east Ukraine.

Video is from the official Chicago university channel year 2015

John Joseph Mearsheimer born December 14, 1947) is an American political scientist and international relations scholar, who belongs to the realist school of thought. He is the R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor at the University of Chicago. He has been described as the most influential realist of his generation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mearsheimer

Mearsheimer is the leading proponent of offensive realism. The structural theory, unlike the classical realism of Hans Morgenthau, places the principal emphasis on security competition among great powers within the anarchy of the international system, not on the human nature of statesmen and diplomats

Offensive realism, a theory of international relations, holds that states are disposed to competition and conflict because they are self-interested, power maximizing, and fearful of other states

Edited by Hummin

47 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I would read into what he said as the sanction before towards Russia were not doing much and extra sanctions that have been done this time are taking affect.

30 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Another important analysis speach to understand the conflict better. Long but interesting for those who like to digg deeper. In to the conflicts background, and why Putin in first place thought ir was an good idea andcalso why he believed he would be met with less resistence and finely an early caputulation at least in the east Ukraine.

Video is from the official Chicago university channel year 2015

John Joseph Mearsheimer born December 14, 1947) is an American political scientist and international relations scholar, who belongs to the realist school of thought. He is the R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor at the University of Chicago. He has been described as the most influential realist of his generation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mearsheimer

Mearsheimer is the leading proponent of offensive realism. The structural theory, unlike the classical realism of Hans Morgenthau, places the principal emphasis on security competition among great powers within the anarchy of the international system, not on the human nature of statesmen and diplomats

Offensive realism, a theory of international relations, holds that states are disposed to competition and conflict because they are self-interested, power maximizing, and fearful of other states

In short Ukraine has been a problem for a long time and nobody took any notice until now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would read into what he said as the sanction before towards Russia were not doing much and extra sanctions that have been done this time are taking affect.

For those who had some interest in earlier conflicts, who  know miletary pressure and sanctions have different results, depending on the countries resourches. 

We know how Japan reacted to their sanctions in 1939.

Iran we know how they dealing with it and also N-Korea in presens. 

If we keep treating putin as a rat, he will react as a crat, and Putin have often told about him self as the rathunter, when he as a young boy cornered a rat that finely attacked him. A life experience and a lesson he contineous have refered to. He will go down in the history as the Rat Man!

He have warned us for decades, now we understand

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But he is a rat. A rat and a war criminal. Anyone that didn't know that before knows it now. 

It is human behaviour where the fight for resourches and land continue as it have always done. Nothing going to change that. Putin is just another wannabe emperor who goes down in history with bad reputation and a war crimminal. 

There is no good and bad in these war games, just bad and more bad who is playing with soldiers and civilian lifes who are tools to use for any price. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is human behaviour where the fight for resourches and land continue as it have always done. Nothing going to change that. Putin is just another wannabe emperor who goes down in history with bad reputation and a war crimminal. 

There is no good and bad in these war games, just bad and more bad who is playing with soldiers and civilian lifes who are tools to use for any price. 

Who invaded Ukraine?

Who is targeting civilians?

Who is risking nuclear meltdowns?

No good and bad you say?

I think your POV is no good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

In short Russia has been a problem since WW2 and nobody took any notice until now. Reagan got it right.

Well in short the end of WW2 is what I've seen as the start of the problem and the way Germany was devided there's still a problem with East Germany till this day. 

Some posts back there was a mention of Patton it was the rhetoric from people like him that started the mis-trust of the west by Russia after losing 27,000,000 people. 

The Cold War end was another chance and even then the west govs couldn't see the wood for the trees. 

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I guess you are located far from Europe with a post liked that...

They might have the next best solution on it's way.

Apparently talking about that Poland can give their MiGs to Ukraine and then US give Poland F-16s in exchange.

If it happens it will for sure be an escalation, but not as big as NATO flying the jets in Ukraine.4

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well in short the end of WW2 is what I've seen as the start of the problem and the way Germany was devided there's still a problem with East Germany till this day. 

Some posts back there was a mention of Patton it was the rhetoric from people like him that started the mis-trust of the west by Russia after losing 27,000,000 people. 

The Cold War end was another chance and even then the west govs couldn't see the wood for the trees. 

no, it was not "people like Patton" who caused Russians to "distrust" the West.

Stalin was the prime reason. Russians are for the most part, sheep. They follow their leader.

Patton recognized Stalin for what he was.

Stalin was so bad that he was probably offed by his own people.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As much as I'd like to explore these issues further, they are off topic so I won't.

• Like 1