Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

"Terrible that the Russian Army may overthrow an elected leader" Elected how? The last opponent to Putin is now in prison. Before that he was poisoned with novichak and only managed to survive because he made it to the West. The chief previous opponent was murdered.  Journalists who dig too deep have been murdered and/or physically attacked.. Independent news outlets have been driven into submission or non-existence. Do you actually believe that under such conditions an election is meaningful?

I was referring to the Ukrainian elected Government .

And how some people are appalled that an Army may  overthrow an elected Government 

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Such people used to be called war mongers, but I guess in their eyes they are patriots standing up to the evil empire ( as long as it's other people actually dying ).

LOL.

You'd have a much better point if it wasn't for the fact that Ukrainian soldiers have repeatedly shown their willingness to stand up and fight the Russian invaders. Even in Mariupol, against hopeless odds, they refuse to surrender.

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

You'd have a much better point if it wasn't for the fact that Ukrainian soldiers have repeatedly shown their willingness to stand up and fight the Russian invaders. Even in Mariupol, against hopeless odds, they refuse to surrender.

I wasn't referring to Ukrainians.

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Thinly veiled whataboutary.

You’ll find the topic under discussion at the top of the thread.

You might want to start a separate topic for these other issues you are dragging into this discussion.

You’ll find the link to ‘Start New Topic’ at the top of the forum.

Not just thinly veiled but utterly false.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The longer this goes on the more I have to wonder why certain posters have not come out in the past with such gusto on other conflicts like in Syria or Yemen. Thousands have died in those conflicts too, so it can't be that the numbers are significant.

I suspect I do know why, but I'd like to hear it from them.

Can you identify a "good guy" with a credible chance of winning either of these wars?  If not, support would have been worse than pointless.

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is what I have been saying as well . 

I don't want the U.K to get involved with the fighting against the Russians , although it would be great if we can sell the Ukrainians some weapons  .

That is what I have said all along , and you classified me as a "surrendering wimp"

If the UK sells Ukraine weapons is it not reasonable for the UK to teach them how to use those weapons? Other than that, the UK isn't involved as far as I know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That is the elephant in the room.

I reckon Ukraine will be left be destroyed rather than a nuclear weapon being used.

Russia ain't that irresponsible neither is the US or the the rest of the world.  

That is why I had my personal opinion as to what Ukraine should of done in the first place because they will be left to the mercy of Russia and mercy is not in the Russian book of war. 

It will end when Russia ends it. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Can Russia continue to sustain the destruction of its military? Every ship in the Black Sea is at risk and new and deadlier weapons are going to Ukraine. Sort of violating the Geneva convention, Russia doesn't have too many options left for victory.

Need to get a hunter killer, nuclear submarine into the Black Sea and wipe the Russian fleet out.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Can Russia continue to sustain the destruction of its military? Every ship in the Black Sea is at risk and new and deadlier weapons are going to Ukraine. Sort of violating the Geneva convention, Russia doesn't have too many options left for victory.

As I've said many times, will have to wait and see. 

Also depends on what Russia will think victory is. 

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Moreover, Russia’s economy cannot sustain the military it has, let alone the military it would need to maintain security by any means other than the peaceful cooperation and trade that existed before Putin trashed it.

Germany alone has already raised its military budgets to exceed those of Russia.

Added to which Russia is facing its first loan default on May 4th.

Whatever motivated Putin it wasn’t anything to do with what was best for Russia.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I reckon Ukraine will be left be destroyed rather than a nuclear weapon being used.

Russia ain't that irresponsible neither is the US or the the rest of the world.  

That is why I had my personal opinion as to what Ukraine should of done in the first place because they will be left to the mercy of Russia and mercy is not in the Russian book of war. 

It will end when Russia ends it. 

Russia's already ended its plan A when they discovered their military prowess is not what it seemed to be. The Ukrainians showed them they are not willing to throw up the white flag. This will war will end when Russia is defeated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

I posted that people who want to surrender to Putin because he made vague threats are wimps.  Whether you think that applies to you is your call.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is what I have been saying as well . 

I don't want the U.K to get involved with the fighting against the Russians , although it would be great if we can sell the Ukrainians some weapons  .

That is what I have said all along , and you classified me as a "surrendering wimp"

Where have I called you personally a "surrendering wimp"?

Where have you posted that you want western nations to provide Ukraine with weapons?  Not sell weapons, Ukraine is in no position to buy, but provide weapons of a quality and quantity to make a difference.

Why have you argued with so many posters who want the west to support Ukraine?  Note that most or all want the support to come in the form of weapons and sanctions, not going to war with Russia.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Need to get a hunter killer, nuclear submarine into the Black Sea and wipe the Russian fleet out.

I don't know much about submarines, but I suspect there aren't many nations that want to risk sending a sub through the narrow waters that separate the Aegean and Black Seas.   https://duckduckgo.com/?q=straits+of+"bosophorus"&norw=1&t=ffab&ia=web&iaxm=about

I think providing Ukraine with effective land based anti-ship missiles would be a safer bet.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Where have I called you personally a "surrendering wimp"?

Where have you posted that you want western nations to provide Ukraine with weapons?  Not sell weapons, Ukraine is in no position to buy, but provide weapons of a quality and quantity to make a difference.

Why have you argued with so many posters who want the west to support Ukraine?  Note that most or all want the support to come in the form of weapons and sanctions, not going to war with Russia.

Don't feed the

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1