Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

20 hours ago, Rimmer said:

By having these tanks in their arsenal, the Ukrainian Army can more effectively discourage aggressive actions.

I wasn't aware that the Russians are taking aggressive actions. I thought they were dug in in well prepared positions and likely they have depleted uranium shells ready for the Abrams. They've had a long time to prepare.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't aware that the Russians are taking aggressive actions. I thought they were dug in in well prepared positions and likely they have depleted uranium shells ready for the Abrams. They've had a long time to prepare.

Because they're being discouraged. Time for the Ukrainians to break through.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Russians are counter attacking all the time, even quickly attacking the Ukrainians after a breakthrough, to prevent them from fortify their newly gained positions. 

The Russians are also attacking up north, to tie down Ukrainian defense forces.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Talk about shipping, the Ukrainians  ???????? have it figured out.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Russians are counter attacking all the time, even quickly attacking the Ukrainians after a breakthrough, to prevent them from fortify their newly gained positions. 

The Russians are also attacking up north, to tie down Ukrainian defense forces.

That would not, IMO, qualify as an "aggressive action". That's just normal defensive actions to prevent a small breakthrough becoming a channel to allow enemy troops to envelop the front line.

Aggressive actions are what the Ukrainian "counteroffensive" was supposed to be, but seems to have become stalemate. Only a few villages captured does not represent a "breakthrough" IMO.

Winter is coming, and with it the likely end of any Ukrainian offensive actions and allowing the Russians to get even more entrenched.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, tgw said:

so what is everyone's opinion about Schrödinger's Ruzzian Admiral Sokholov ?

depending on who you believe, he's either dead, alive, or neither dead nor alive (Ruzzian TV)

On opening Schrödinger's box, the live and dead cats collapsed to FSB agents making fake videos from earlier recordings.

Here is yesterday's, of an award ceremony at the HQ from before its destruction mysteriously filmed both before and after.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That would not, IMO, qualify as an "aggressive action". That's just normal defensive actions to prevent a small breakthrough becoming a channel to allow enemy troops to envelop the front line.

Aggressive actions are what the Ukrainian "counteroffensive" was supposed to be, but seems to have become stalemate. Only a few villages captured does not represent a "breakthrough" IMO.

Winter is coming, and with it the likely end of any Ukrainian offensive actions and allowing the Russians to get even more entrenched.

Here is one such Russian attack.

https://x.com/djuric_zlatko/status/1707277690535837818?s=20

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks for posting that, but it supports what I said which is that it's not a large scale "aggressive action", but rather a small scale counter attack, as in this bit from the article. NB the word I bolded.

"The airborne guards of the 247th Regiment have initiated a counterattack, driving the enemy out of several key positions and seizing the initiative".

Unquote

BTW, it would have been helpful to have had a date on that.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for posting that, but it supports what I said which is that it's not a large scale "aggressive action", but rather a small scale counter attack, as in this bit from the article. NB the word I bolded.

"The airborne guards of the 247th Regiment have initiated a counterattack, driving the enemy out of several key positions and seizing the initiative".

Unquote

BTW, it would have been helpful to have had a date on that.

Russia is activating along the Kreminna axis, launching large numbers of airstrikes and preparing for an offensive.

F7HkfBkWcAAEazV.png

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

OR, you are just parroting Kremlin propaganda, and Russia wants to grab (a lot) more Ukrainian soil:

https://kyivindependent.com/medvedev-russia-will-take-more-regions-of-ukraine/

In a Telegram message commemorating one year since Russia's illegal annexation of four Ukrainian regions, Medvedev said "there will be more new regions within Russia."

Medvedev claimed Russia's war will continue until the Ukrainian government is "completely destroyed" and the "original Russian territories are liberated from the enemy."

So it looks like Russia is not just trying to defend occupied territory, but they have their eye on much more.

well, considering they hold only about 50% of the territories they "annexed", they might want to fully control what they claim to have first. lol.

33 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

the good news (for some of us) keep coming..... maybe bad news for the Russia lover as he has another opportunity for the sad emoji, come on man, don't disappoint me   555

Putin’s casualties near 250 in a day as Russian ammunition depots blown up in southern Ukraine

https://au.yahoo.com/news/putin-casualties-near-250-day-073312580.html

There is a lot of hard fighting ahead for Ukraine. AFU assault unit's biggest problems are waves of RuAF FPV drones attacking infantry assault groups in daylight.

F6zDJBNW8AAR_LV.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

However it's also worth noting that the Vietnamese were fighting on their own home soil and in defence of it whereas the Russians are fighting to maintain their foothold in a foreign country that they've invaded.

That's a big difference in motivation.

The 4 oblasts and Crimea have always been largely Russky ethnically.  2 separate western surveys were conducted in Crimea after the annexation, where the vast majority of residents indicated they want to stay with Russia. 

I doubt the west will conduct such surveys in the 4 oblasts, because they didn't like the answer last time.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1