The Age of Anxiety: How has this affected you during your life, so far? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Are you a Cold Warrior, inured to fear of MAD?

GammaGlobulin

How do you deal with fear of complete annihilation?

Do you just laugh at it?

Do you laugh in the face of fear?

Anyone my age knows about years and years of worrying about the very real prospect of annihilation of our species, or even life in total, except maybe for organisms which live deep below the surface of the planet. Whether or not microbes live deep down there. Who knows.

Many years ago, even before Nagasaki, we knew that we were entering the Age of Anxiety.

Most people, when faced with an undeniable existential prospect, enter into a state of denial.

But for you, those who are able to actually consider the end of Homo Sapiens on Earth, how do you deal with this anxiety-provoking prospect, and this resultant angst?

For example, do you watch movies in order to divert your attention from the prospect of impending doom?

What defense mechanisms work best for you?

Just wondering.....

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No.

Why worry about something we have no chance of changing?

I've always suspected Russia had much less in the way of Nuclear capability than our beloved leaders would wish us to believe. You need to scare your population into compliance.

Anyways, my life is pretty much over, it's been great, but I'm not all that worried about missing out on the 'Zimmer frame' period of my life.

Edited by BritManToo