Truck driver falls asleep at the wheel and runs over pickup truck in Chonburi with family inside

snoop1130

274808509_706876297357509_8046614525838972173_n-696x522.jpg

PHOTO: Trikunnatham Rescue Team

A mother and father tragically passed away yesterday, with their young son and his aunt surviving with minor injuries, after a trailer truck driver fell asleep and ran over their vehicle while they were sitting in the emergency lane with warning signals flashing waiting for roadside assistance in the Mueang Chonburi district.

The Mueang Chonburi Police were notified of the accident yesterday afternoon (February 27th) on Sukhumvit Road in the Klong Tamru sub-district.

Emergency responders arrived at the scene to find a large white container truck sitting atop a smaller black pickup truck, as seen in the photos. The vehicle had been completely flattened and the response teams said it was a miracle that two people had survived relatively unscathed. Unfortunately, the parents of one of the survivors, a seven-year-old boy, both perished in the accident.

Two people were found deceased inside the pickup truck, Mr. Kankawee Pichitchonpan, 31, the driver, and Ms. Kannika Promthong who was the driver’s wife, sitting behind the driver’s seat.

The two survivors, who both suffered only minor injuries, were Ms. Nisarat Nuiplee, 54, the sister of the deceased woman, and a seven-year-old boy, the son of the deceased couple. His name was withheld due to editorial policy.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/28/truck-driver-falls-asleep-at-the-wheel-and-runs-over-pickup-truck-in-chonburi-with-family-inside-young-boy-survives-but-both-parents-killed/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 11

i'm REALLY sorry for saying this, but sometimes i can't help wondering if thai people really care about life! i've just watching a video on youtube: a so called baht bus in pattaya running the red lights at a junction just like that! 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As we see, not even safe from these reckless truck drivers when parked and stationary!

To reiterate :

Any person within sight of a Thai road is in immediate danger of vehicular homicide.

Sure, we all have to use the roads but to believe ourselves to be even superficially safe could be a fatal mistake.

Choose your battles and battlefields carefully.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

i'm REALLY sorry for saying this, but sometimes i can't help wondering if thai people really care about life! i've just watching a video on youtube: a so called baht bus in pattaya running the red lights at a junction just like that! 

I have come to the conclusion that many Thai drivers don't care if they kill or die themselves.

I'm not at all sorry to say that because that constant realization may one day save your life.

The only safe assumption to make is that all Thai drivers, from bicycles to tractor trailers, are on the roads with murderous intent in their minds.

Of course that's not true but the end result is the same from incompetence and indifference to those around them.

The threat of immediate termination tends to sharpen one's mind to danger.

• Like 2

Just now, cardinalblue said:

This will continue unless he is fully prosecuted for his crime….and it is publicized 

Would that this were true.

Actually all that would happen it that jails would be full to overflowing. And there must always be vacant cells to house those who disagree with the monarchy or the government.

Nothing will change here until the nationals tire of dying and killing each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Those on the upper floors of condo's are the only ones left safe from a tidal wave of out of control inept drivers ????Rip

How big a truck would it take to bring down a condo block? Nowhere is safe, they even have 500' high cranes! And aeroplanes.!

Once again, maybe education would have prevented this. I was taught, and indeed have in the past, vacated the vehicle and climbed up the motorway embankment in the U.K. 

Rule 275 of the U.K. Highway code..................

Leaving a Vehicle after Breakdown on Motorway, You and any passengers should all exit the vehicle using the left-hand side doors. Try to move up the bank or wait behind the barrier instead.

Everyone (including children) should remain as far away as possible from the hard shoulder. This includes motorway nearside lanes and all carriageways.

R.I.P. to the innocent victims.....

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Once again, maybe education would have prevented this. I was taught, and indeed have in the past, vacated the vehicle and climbed up the motorway embankment in the U.K. 

Rule 275 of the U.K. Highway code..................

Leaving a Vehicle after Breakdown on Motorway, You and any passengers should all exit the vehicle using the left-hand side doors. Try to move up the bank or wait behind the barrier instead.

Everyone (including children) should remain as far away as possible from the hard shoulder. This includes motorway nearside lanes and all carriageways.

R.I.P. to the innocent victims.....

Yes, we know, but this are Thai, they learn nothing when they get driving lessons.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

It looks like they were stopped on a bridge or overpass? (Or maybe they got pushed there?)

So venturing out of the car and along the road to a place of safety may have been more challenging.

But easy for me to  second-guess? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It looks like they were stopped on a bridge or overpass? (Or maybe they got pushed there?)

So venturing out of the car and along the road to a place of safety may have been more challenging.

In the UK the recommendation is to exit the vehicle and step up the embankment and away from the road.

But, that is not always possible - in this case it looks like they are on a raised road (or as mentioned above, an overpass or a bridge).

About 10 years ago my car broke down on the Expressway in Bangkok - there was no where to exit the vehicle too just a wall. 

I allowed the car to roll over as close to the left as possible, but even then getting out was too dangerous - I’d pulled over so car we couldn’t get out on the left side, getting out on the drivers side was too dangerous - I was uncomfortable staying in the car but there really was nothing else we could do. 

The police arrived very quickly - I was impressed - the Policeman parked his bike behind our car. That wouldn’t have stopped a sleeping truck driver though. 

Recovery were there quickly, had the car towed off the expressway quickly (it was a 4x4) so they had to put the rear wheels on a dolly. clearly a very dangerous job for the recovery guys. 

------

In this case - lorry driver fell asleep - tragic, avoidable (but this does happen quite a lot elsewhere) - at least Thai’s are becoming a lot more aware of this làp-noi... 

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the UK you are advised to vacate the vehicle in situations such as this.

I was thinking about this.... also presumably advised not to remain on the road either. Most people would not be keen to be out in the Thailand heat... but the cold and rain of the UK, maybe snow, is not pleasant either!

• Like 1

Many years ago, I travelled by bus from Don Muang to Chiang mai an eight hour trip. On arrival , I was horrified to see the driver gulp down a few pills, turn the bus round, load up again and set off back to Bangkok!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But we never do find out what sentence they receive, do we. It would be very interesting to know. But the Thai way of thinking might be that the incident happened, it's in the past and nothing will change that so mai pen rai.

You could find out with a bit of research. 

There is a Thai saying  -  arai ja gerd go hai mun gerd, which means whatever happens is meant to happen, Karma.  I've found that half the country's religious scholars  believe that Karma can be changed by doing certain things(like making merit) and the other half don't.