Why do we continue to receive smaller pensions than European expats?

webfact

17 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Appreciate that brother - That's very good advice - I wont be claiming for a few more years but that certainly puts my mind at rest - I have changed all my banking details to my Uncle's UK address, so i still have a "Safe" address UK side.

Make sure you have a government 'gateway' account with your brothers address.

Then they will send your invitation there.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 4:23 AM, Antiparovian said:

Keep a UK address. Not rocket science.

absolutely, it's a no brainer; for bank, doctor, government gateway etc. and make sure you pop into to see the doctor when you're in the uk, especially to check for skin cancer/pancreatic cancer

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

Yep, your idiocy. I’ve paid into sinking funds on every home I’ve owned here. 3 of which I still own. I don’t pay into sinking funds monthly as you appear to do. Keep up with the personal insults though, clearly it’s the best you can manage. For me, I’m done with you, I prefer to engage with people who know what they’re talking about.

Just one website chosen at random: "This provision helps cooperative housing society to collect contribution towards this sinking fund from the society members on month on month basis and keep on accumulating year after year." 

Something wrong with you, old son.... 

17 hours ago, it is what it is said:

absolutely, it's a no brainer; for bank, doctor, government gateway etc. and make sure you pop into to see the doctor when you're in the uk, especially to check for skin cancer/pancreatic cancer

Correct. Always see your GP, do anything to help your UK Resident illusion. Make sure you are on the Electoral Register.

Edited by Antiparovian
Spelling

On 3/1/2022 at 12:18 AM, BritManToo said:

Full UK state pension is currently 179 pounds/week.

Don't know how the OP got 185 pounds/week nearly 7 years back.

They're currently thinking of raising the state pension age to 70.

Imagine working as a lorry driver when you're 69 years old!

I get £466.54 every 2 weeks, but I live in UK. That includes a protected payment over and above the Maximum state pension amount. 

Edited by Dazkkk
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dazkkk said:

I get £466.54 every 2 weeks, but I live in UK. That includes a protected payment over and above the Maximum state pension amount. 

Is that  £466.54 a marriage pension and please explain what a protected payment is , cos I have never heard of that .

• Like 2

I agree You and every UK retiree should petition this it is unfair . I’m from the US (New York City) I now collect a pension from my former job with New York City and when I turn 62 in get my social security pension which will add about $ 2000 or slightly less per month to the pension I already have . It doesn’t matter where I’m the world I live I can collect both pensions in full with no penalties . If I wait until I’m 67 my SS will be about $500 more per month . My ex GF was from New Zealand her Mom wanted to retire and move back to HK but the NZ pension states You must reside in NZ at least 6 months out of the year or you can’t collect it ! Unless it’s changed that’s even more unfair I think . Good luck to all You guys I hope You will be able to change this for the better ????????

4 hours ago, CLUBBER said:

the NZ pension states You must reside in NZ at least 6 months out of the year or you can’t collect it ! Unless it’s changed that’s even more unfair I think .

That's interesting. It's a very long time since I read the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights regarding the challenge to the UK's pension arrangements, but I do remember a paragraph to the effect that International Labour Law does not oblige countries to pay any pension at all to citizens not living in their own country. So effectively any country can make up whatever rules it likes. That is the context by which New Zealand justifies its arrangements. I find it difficult to think of anything that justifies the archaic and anachronistic rules by which the UK pays a full pension to claimants living in the Philippines and the USA but not to those in Thailand or Canada.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:17 AM, Mike Teavee said:

Has nothing to do with living in Asia, it's all to do with whether the country has a reciprical social security arrangement with the UK or not & Thailand doesn't (whereas as already been mentioned The Philippines does).

It seems that approximately 1/2 of all pensioners who live overseas have frozen pensions but this has little to do with living in Thailand as 90% of those live in Commonwealth countries (e.g. Australia, Canada India, Pakistan, New Zealand etc... where you.d expect there to be an agreement in place) 

Countries where the UK pension is frozen... 

map_lg-e1438167218552.jpg

http://frozenbritishpensions.org/the-problem/

I'm glad Ilive in a 'blue' country.  I just got a 7p a week raise.